“dinner at casa salt shaker”
Review of Casa SaltShaker

Casa SaltShaker
Ranked #6 of 5,498 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Recoleta
Description: Welcome to Casa SaltShaker. We offer a unique dining experience, sharing a table with other guests at our home in Barrio Norte. The setting is casual and the conversation lively. Our food is eclectic with a Mediterranean base. It's all about meeting new friends over good food and wine.Bienvenidos a Casa SaltShaker (Salero). Ofrecemos una experiencia gastronómica única, compartiendo una mesa con otros comensales en nuestra casa de Barrio Norte. El ambiente es informal y la conversación animada. Nuestra cocina es ecléctica con una base mediteránea. Se trata de conocer nuevos amigos y sobre todo de gustar buena comida y buen vino.
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Good thing: very close to our apt., Poetry bldg, which i give 5 stars to.
Not-so-good: The "closed door restaurant" was a bit disappointing. To begin with we were about 7 minutes early but were told over the speakerphone that, "we could come in even though we are early." There were 10 of us at the table, all Americans. It was interesting to see the inside of their living unit and it felt like we were visiting friends. The salad and soup were delicious, the last 3 servings were very so-so. I felt like Dan, owner, had a bit of an attitude and his partner didn't speak to us at all, only served dishes and removed them when we were finished..Dan explaining that he doesn't speak the English. It really didn't seem much like an "argentinian" experience but then they do not advertise that it is, my point being, if you want to experience Buenos Aires this is probably not the "restaurant" to visit.

2  Thank pvsummerland
saltshaker, Owner at Casa SaltShaker, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

I'm sorry to hear that we didn't live up to your expectations, particularly on some of the food - we strive to have it be high quality home cooking and like to think that it is, but always up for correction if it isn't. I'm never quite sure what someone means when they say someone has an attitude - everyone has one, always, I can assume you meant something that rubbed you the wrong way and if so, again, apologies. I'd only note two things about your details - the greeting at the door - while accurate in terms of what I said to you, you didn't note that that was in response to your "I'm sorry we're really early, we got here quicker than we thought we would?", to which a reply that it was okay and you could come in even so seems completely appropriate. And yes, while Henry didn't speak to you because you don't speak Spanish - his job is to serve and clear plates. He did, however, talk with others at the table who did speak Spanish - arranging tango lessons with two of the other guests who were there that night - his primary career outside of the restaurant, while two other people at the table set up a cooking class with me for the following week. I can't say why it was that the two of you had such a different experience from the others at the table, but one day I hope you give us another chance and, who knows?

Reviewed May 26, 2013

My husband and I made a reservation at Casa Saltshaker at the recommendation of a friend, and it ended up being one of the highlights of our trip. We weren't sure what to expect since this was our first closed door restaurant experience. Our hosts, Dan and Henry, were delightful and the food and wine pairings were incredible. We shared a lot of laughs and stories with the other diners and enjoyed each others' company so much, we ended up grabbing beers afterward and we even did a graffiti tour with a few the next day. We'd definitely recommend Casa Saltshaker to anyone visiting Buenos Aires!

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Loved, loved , loved!!!
If you are a foodie and don't mind sharing a dining experiance with total strangers then you will love Casa Salt Shaker. Dan is a fine chef and knows his Argentine wines!
We had an amazing meal with wine pairings and met some really interesting people visiting/studying in Buenos Aires from Europe, Canada , Australia and the United States. We "broke bread", shared laughs and traveling tips! A very enjoyable experiance on so many levels!
This was our first " Closed Door " restaurant and will definately try others!

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had an incredible dinner with wine pairings at Casa SaltShaker this past Friday - this is an experience not to miss! Thank you Dan and Henry for opening up your beautiful home. Sincerely, Kelly and Michael Ziemann

Reviewed May 12, 2013

As I was planning our trip to Buenos Aires, I kept reading about these "Closed Door" restaurants. This is where someone opens their home and cooks dinner for guests.

I decided on Casa Saltshaker, and could not have been more pleased. Although the entire concept was a little out of my comfort zone, I figured it was just 1 night, and it would certainly add to my travel experiences.

It was fabulous. Dan Perlman could not have been more gracious. From the time of booking until we left, he was the perfect host. And his partner Henry was great too.

The other folks who had also booked were very interesting, well traveled, and most enjoyable.

I saved the best for last...the food. Dan is a very accomplished chef. Our night we had Peruvian Fusion. It was incredible. Loved every course.

I highly recommend it.