“Way overpriced with an attitude”
Review of Sagardi San Telmo

Sagardi San Telmo
Ranked #91 of 5,192 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Telmo
Description: In SAGARDI serves a selection of over 80 different tapas, traditional proposals that combine the most modern compositions.One of the attractions is the local steak house restaurant with the grill on the view to appreciate its preparation.
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Went to Sagardi on a Monday night when all of our better options were not open. The place is nice but I was amazed by the prices for what I would consider "ok" food. We did tapas in the bar area as neither of us was particularly hungry. Selection was limited as the place was mostly empty and the restaurant did not bring out new stuff until existing plates sold. The problem is existing plates were not that exciting.

I ordered a half bottle of wine when my partner told me she would not drink. The waiter left the whole bottle on the table and told me we would figure it out later. I eye-balled the bottle to what I thought was halfway. When We asked for the bill, our attitude-since-we-were-seated waiter told me that I drank more than half but he would be nice with me. So great of him!

The overall bill came to almost 300 pesos, which is pretty high even by North American standards for what we ate (16 pieces of tapas, each about 2 "polite" bites and 1/2 bottle of house wine). Elsewhere we would be bursting from the seams for this kind of money.

Overall, not recommended unless you really have no other option. The reason I gave it two stars is because of nice ambiance, being open on Mondays and the cheerful second waitress, with whom we had little interaction because she did not speak English and our Spanish was rather limited. I would have preferred to play charades with her instead of putting up with our waiter's attitude.

1  Thank A couple from T... O

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Every time I bring someone to BA for the first time one of the tourist things I show them is the Sunday market that runs the length of Defensa in San Telmo. It is one of those events that you have to experience once. So after a brief introduction I retreat around the corner to Sagardi with instructions to come find me when they have had enough.

A bottle of Cava and a seat at the massive table so I can view the comings and goings from the cool confines of this well designed Basque restaurant. The cold tapas are displayed as they would be in Barcelona, along the length of the bar and you pick up a plate and take your pick of whatever you want. Hot tapas are offered at intervals by the helpful staff.

My absolute favourite is a small honey glazed croissant filled with a slice of ham and cheese but each year I try something different and recommend you do too.

I have never eaten in the actual restaurant seating area at the back or ordered off the menu so offer no opinion on that. But the tapas are the best I have had in the Americas and the atmosphere is delightful. Please check it out.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

There’s really no need to go beyond the bar area where the pintxos are lined up along the counters. you can choose to sit along the actual bar where the pintxos are showcased or at a large communal table that offers enough room for different dining parties to be separated and comfortable. You basically serve yourself, grabbing a plate and piling it high with options ranging from thick slices of smoked salmon to wedges of tortilla española. I recommend taking it slow. Hang out for a while. As the evening progresses, piping hot pintxo varieties will be passed around the restaurant by the waitstaff, and you’ll be sorry if you filled up too quickly. Options like grilled squid and shrimp, mini-burgers with caramelized onions, and filet mignon with grilled mushrooms come out of the kitchen in a steady, tempting stream.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Restaurant is outrageously expensive for the food they served. Menu stated pork chops. What was served was more like spare ribs which was bones and fat. Maitre d agreed, consulted with the chef, who also agreed there was little meat. The plate was eventually taken away and I was given a plate of meat - minus the salsa. Once I asked, the salsa was brought in a hot bowl, but was still cold. Explained my disappointment to maitre d, who half heartedly aplogised, however I would have expected an adjustment of the bill considering the dish was virtually inedible, but not even coffee was complimentary and there was a $30 cover charge added! We were just another couple of tourists they would never see again.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Didn´t know about this restuarant but it was recommended by staff at our hotell. Lovely and quiet location off the the Plaza Dorrego in San Telmo in front of the church. The interior of restaurant is elegantly designed and the personal is very kind and attentive. The tapas they serve are delicious - elegant to look at, innovative in its composition and mucho rico when it comes to flavours - and very pricey in my opinion. And they wines they serve support the tapas very well.