“Great food...but too bad about bill”
Review of Inaki Restaurant

Inaki Restaurant
Ranked #159 of 6,924 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: El Centro (Downtown)
Reviewed March 29, 2017 via mobile

I would have given this restaurant a 5*, except for what happened at the end. This is a traditional, classy place with amazing food. We had two fish dishes. Sole with traditional Basque sauce with tomatoes, onion and garlic for 260 pesos. I wanted to try a different preparation, traditional Spanish salsa Verde sauce with peas that was nothing like I have ever tasted. I was going to have haddock for about 280. The server suggested black hake. It had no price. So I asked him if that is even available and how much was it. He said that it would be about 300 pesos. The fish was out of this world. Expertly grilled with sauce being applied at table for presentation. We enjoyed the dinner immensely with a wonderful Malbec he suggested. Finished dessert while reading some Trip advisor reviews. One of them said how they jacked up the prices. So I carefully checked the bill. There was a 40 pesos charge per 'sauce' which was not stated on the menu. Ok. Table service charge of 70 pesos for bread. Ok. Then I saw that my fish was 850 pesos! My total was 1650 pesos!! Are you kidding me? My fish was nearly 3 times the 300 estimate. The waiter explained that the black Jake was 450. It was listed on a different page. I showed him that I was actually charged 850! He said that it was a bigger piece. I was not accepting that. He went back to the manager. My wife could see him arguing all animated. He came back and refunded 400 pesos in cash. I don't mind paying for a nice meal, which it was. I have happily paid a lot more for a meal in US restaurants. But I don't like this kind of BS being pulled on me.
Bottom line. Amazing sea food. Great service. But WATCH your bill carefully. If a fish does not have a price, get a firm number before ordering. For an amazing restaurant, I don't know why they had to pull this crap to lessen the experience.

Date of visit: March 2017
6  Thank Prabu R

Reviewed December 22, 2016

We eat there regularly and always eat well. Our favourites are boquerones, langostinos al ajillo, chernia a la plancha con puré de espinacas. The owner Mrs Susana is usually receiving people when they come in but if she is not in, her sons are there.Most of the waiters are charming old school type, and usually respond to good sense of humor and talk. I am seldom disappointed.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed September 7, 2016

Excellent restaurant, run now days by gradchildren of the original Founder coming from the Basque Country in Spain
Food is really delicious, and all Basque typycal plates can be found at this place.
Attention is really good from all the People working there and also Grandson Iñaki

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed June 1, 2016

Service and meals are good but when the bill comes you may have surprises. If they rate the fish larger than usual they will charge extra without your knowing ahead. I complained and instead of apologising they blamed the waiter for not doing his job. I will not recommend a restaurant that does not respect employees and customers.

Date of visit: April 2016
3  Thank Empanadita
Reviewed May 11, 2016

Iñaki is one of the best spanish food restaurants in Buenos Aires, if not the best.Of course you should enjoy a paella and have the socarré.It is the bottom of the paella which sticks to the metal...you have to ask the waiter to have it removed for you.The gambas al ajillo(shrimps) and the pulpo a la gallega(octopus) are very dear to me too.At the end a crema catalana(creme brulee) would be a very good dessert choice.I would try a red Malbec from Salta province to make your meal something very special!!!

Date of visit: June 2015