“Decent food, terrible service”
Review of 1880

Ranked #508 of 4,926 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: Argentinean, Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Telmo
Warsaw, Poland
“Decent food, terrible service”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

The food was really good (the best fish I had in BA), but I've never seen such a terrible service! People in BA start their evening meals quite late, so the restaurant wasn't really busy when we came (in a large group, really hard not to notice) and the staff kinda didn't pay any attention at all. We had to wait for everything, starting with the wine. I only recommend it to those who are not in a hurry; otherwise, you'll be upset.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Zofia S

Boston, MA
“Terrific!”
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Great steaks, tender & cooked as ordered, well-priced, excellent wine, wonderful service. A lot of locals there, great vibe in the place. Would go again in a heartbeat.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank BostonTravelerBoston
Baton Rouge, LA
“Best Steak in BA”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Stayed in BA for 6 weeks and ate out for every meal. This place has one of the best, if not THE best, steaks in the city. Inexpensive also. I like the ojo de beefe. My wife liked the lomo. A local place. You probably won't see any tourists there.

It doesn't open until 7:30 or 8:00 PM so don't go too early (Argentine's eat late in case you don't already know).

If in BA, also try a restaurant called "Kansas." It is actually modeled after an American chain called Houston's but it is way better. Very inexpensive and awesome steak, ribs, salads, deserts, and iced tea!

• Visited June 2011
3 Thank OneJESUSGod
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Authentic Buenos Aires parrilla”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We spent a few hours here thoroughly enjoying a late afternoon lunch. When we arrived at 2 pm on a weekday, the place was filled with locals - I think we were the only tourists.

My ojo de lomo was simply one of the best steaks I've ever had. It was so tender and cooked exactly how I ordered (med. rare). The portions were huge, so luckily one of my friends enjoyed mine more than her skirt steak and helped me eat it.

Our waiter was very patient with my friends who couldn't speak a word of Spanish and tried to help them out with his limited English.

Parrilla 1880 is located about five or six blocks from Plaza Dorrego, so a bit off the regular San Telmo tourist track, but so worth it!

• Visited September 2011
4 Thank hummingbird51
Essex, United Kingdom
“Typical Argentine Asado restaurant, popular with Portenos”
Reviewed March 13, 2011

This restaurant was recommended to us by our hotel and we weren't disappointed. We had our first meal in Argentina here on a Saturday lunchtime (we went back twice on different evenings but they were closed?) - not knowing the size of the Argentine portions we ordered 2 steaks and a salad. Needless to say the steaks were massive (but delicious) but we only really needed to order one. The 'vacio' cut was exceptional.

When speaking to Portenos around the city and in other parts of Argentina they all knew of 1880 and spoke highly of it and when we were there, there seemed to be a lot of locals eating which I liked.

• Visited January 2011