“They robbed me”

SoHostel
Quito, Pichincha, Ecuador
“They robbed me”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was by far the worst place and worst experience in all of my South American travels.

I booked them on hostel bookers and was glad to find a cheap place in Palermo that had 7 consecutive nights I could stay there in the same room. I was there in August 2013, and couldnt find any other hostel with those options.

I arrived late coming from Colonia via ferry and they wanted me to pay for all 7 nights up front in Pesos. But I didnt have enough pesos since I had just arrived and I knew it was better to change money on the black market. I asked if it was alright to do then and pay tomorrow and they said yes (so the receptionist knew I had $$ to change).

I locked all my personal items in the locker in the dorm without really thinking about it. I had been using the same lock the whole summer and had been leaving my passport and money in their while I slept, so I didnt think any of it.

I woke up early in the morning to find my locker wide open. Immediately, I went to see my personal items and $400 were missing. Nothing else. No credit cards or passports were missing. Just the cash.

I started shaking and began crying and went straight to the front desk. They rude and in the midst of changing shifts. They acted like I was making it up and told me to my face, well how do we know you had that money? Come on, I knew it was gone and not coming back. Of course Im just standing there hysterical to make a scene, obviously! Idiots. Even the owner came by and was condescending. Telling me the same thing and also that it was useless to go to the police. I mean I knew that, but wouldnt you think they would encourage me to report it anyway?

Low and behold I insisted to see the night girls bag before she left her shifts and my money was in her bag. She had been supicious the whole time, trying to rush out. But I didnt really think it could have been a staff member. I dont even know if they notified the owner or if they fired her. I was so distraught I just got my money back for the night and ran away.

They LITERALLY robbed me!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Marissa K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Seem this hostel has bad reviews but I'm glad I saw this after I stayed there.
I found it by coincidence after arriving in Palermo without having booked anything and it was a great stay for 5 days.
The staff were really helpful when I needed something and the place was always kept clean and the beds were surprisingly comfortable.
I stayed in the 10(ish?) bed dorm and didnt have a problem. There are lockers and plenty of space for backpacks.
There are many other hostels in the neighbourhood but this was good value for money, breakfast was basic but standard and the terrace on the roof is a great space to hang out and chill!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Lima
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I booked this hostel because I saw it advertised in the South American Explorers newsletter and assumed they endorsed it -- should have known it was a bad idea when they charged the full cost upfront via Western Union. I really couldn't find another good option in Palermo offering a triple room for a decent price, but I wish I'd spent more money now. This was an important trip because my family was coming from the UK to visit me after 9 months in South America. Fortunately this hostel didn't ruin the whole week but every waking moment spent in the hostel was unpleasant and uncomfortable.

We couldn't have been made to feel less welcome by the staff and their friends who seem to live there permanently. The stairs up to the private rooms are dangerously narrow with a railing that was about to come loose, and no-one offered to help us (3 women) with our luggage - they just sat there and watched us. When we came down to breakfast one day, the staff and their friends stopped talking and stared at us and said nothing the entire time we were there. And yes, there were loud parties most nights too.

We were at Sohostel before and after a 2-night trip to Iguazu, and I've never stayed anywhere that made storing luggage such a hassle ... we had to take all our luggage to another hotel two blocks away, help a guy haul it up a ladder, and then it turned out we were supposed to pay for the pleasure?

It just isn't worth even considering this place if you're looking for somewhere to stay. I booked myself into a dorm for the first 2 nights before my family arrived and wish I could have canceled the reservation the first day and salvaged the situation before they got there, but I couldn't afford to lose the money. Don't make the same mistake!

I've stayed in other hotels with more run-down rooms than this (holes in the ceiling, etc), but the combination of rudeness, poor value, hassle, and disappointment just makes this place the worst ever for me.

Room Tip: There aren't any good rooms
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank inaru79

Travelers are raving about these Buenos Aires hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2012

***DO NOT STAY HERE.*** The ONLY good thing about this hostel is the location. From the moment we walked in the door, the whole experience at SoHostel was horrible. They charged us 25% more than the advertised price, then yelled at us when we tried to discuss the discrepency. We asked for a private quad room, and got a room with one twin bed and three bunk beds that each had broken down matress and slats missing that caused the matress to fold up on itself. The sheets on the beds were dirty, and when we asked for new ones, they refused to trade them out. Not only was every staff member rude, but they know nothing about events in Buenos Aires. The bathrooms are very dirty. The rooftop terraces has no working lights. The breakfast was awful. I honestly think any other hostel in the city has to be a better option. ***DO NOT STAY HERE***

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE. Better off at any other hostel, hotel, camping site in the city.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Matthew J
Valparaiso, Chile
Reviewed December 12, 2010

I was here just one night, I can say that the room was clean, the building has full potential but has not been properly refurnished so it looks old and without maintenance. At least our room was very dark. I checked other hostels in the neighborhood and you can find best quality for the same price.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank romarque
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 27, 2010

I was disappointed by my stay at Sohostel. It was loud, the noise echoed through the building and through the doors, and there was loud partying that went on until 2:30am. The rooms and facilities are rundown, if clean. I left after the first night, and did not receive a reimbursement for the additional three nights I had paid for.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Michael_B_from_DC
New York, New York
Reviewed April 26, 2010

I stayed in this hostel for several nights and then a friend and I PAID to store our luggage there while we were traveling to Uruguay for four days. First, I could not agree more with the previous reviews--the hostel is unclean, the staffers are unfriendly, and the hostel claims to have air conditioning and televisions in the private rooms, and neither of those functioned in our room. Moreover, when we returned from Uruguay, we found that an Apple laptop, a webcam, and a cell phone had been stolen from inside of our bags. The owner was extremely hostile to us and treated us as if it was our fault, though we had paid to have our belongings stored in a secure location and obviously did not believe anyone would be rummaging through them. Though he stated he believed he knew who had taken our things, he refused to take any action. For the safety of your possessions, do not stay at this hostel and make sure no one else stays there either.‎

Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends