$269
$108
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of $141/night.

Mine Hotel Boutique(Buenos Aires)
$153
$123
$149
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of $174/night.

$263
  • Restaurant
Melia Recoleta Plaza(Buenos Aires)
$207
$166
BestDay.com
  • Breakfast included
Alvear Palace Hotel(Buenos Aires)
$370
$195
$164
Official Site
$451
$343
Priceline
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of $410/night.

$565
$532
  • Pool
All reviewssan telmointernal courtyardtango showthe perfect place to stayplenty of hot waterrooms are comfortablebars and restaurantshotel is in a great locationtrip to buenos airesmaurobalcarceargentinaneighborhoodspanishusd
Reviewed July 17, 2009

Aside from it's wonderful San Telmo location, superb staff and good value this hotel has everything a small boutique hotel should have and much more. The 9 rooms although not huge are lovely; contemporary in design, have lots of storage, efficient bathrooms with plenty of hot water and very comfortable beds with crisp white linens. The main floor lounge, breakfast room and front desk are bright and well designed to allow guests to sit comfortably, read, enjoy a glass wine and study the artwork on the walls done by local artists who the hotel promotes. The staff however are the hotel's shining stars; all young, smart, enthusiastic, and so very helpful. They all go out of their way to make sure their guests feel welcome and have everything they need or want. They are knowledgeable about the city and will help make arrangements for taxis, tickets, tours, and even language classes. After a long day of venturing out in the city I always looked forward to coming back to the hotel at night. It felt like coming home.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 5, 2009

First, it's in San Telmo, a historic, rich and inviting area. Second, the staff is without peer. Helpful, informative, smart, interesting, energetic. Third, rooms are very comfortable, baths are very modern, high standards. Fourth, the hotel management exhibits local artists and even invites the guests to attend artist receptions. Fifth, the price for value is tremendous. I travel all over the world and have stayed in much more expensive places, but never have I found a hotel I'd recommend so enthusiastically. Authentic people, great location, excellent experience.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Just finished a stay at this hotel, June 2009. Definitely recommended. Great location and good value. My partner and I have traveled to Buenos Aires several times, and this is by far the best place we’ve stayed. Whoever is running this hotel—definitely not a chain operation--knows what they’re doing.
I found the location excellent. It's on a quiet block just a 2-3 minute walk from Plaza Dorrego in the center of San Telmo. This is the traditional colonial district and my favorite neighborhood in BA on account of its diversity. It’s got locals and tourists, artists and boozers, young and old, etc. Plus, for the best daytime weekend fun in town, there’s a first-rate street market in the plaza that goes all day on Sundays.
I heard about the hotel from a friend who stayed a few months ago and liked it. It has obviously opened recently and it shows. The building housing the hotel is antique, but everything inside seems to be fresh and new—in a good way. Judging by the thorough cleaning woman who came to our room every day, they also seem to be making a real effort to maintain everything in A-1 condition.
All the staff were extremely pleasant and responsive, and they tried hard to please—not always a given in Argentina. What’s more, several staffers were very attractive and nice to look at… But I digress.
The clientele seems very cosmopolitan. While we were there we met other guests from Poland, Denmark and Hungary, as well as from the States. Everyone we spoke to liked the place.
We booked directly with the hotel on their website and paid $100 a night for a standard room, which is good value in BA for the quality of the hotel. There was a 10% discount for paying cash (which is pretty common in Argentina). Breakfast is included in the rate; it was always prepared to order and always fresh. Special note: the coffee is good (and that’s hard to find anywhere in Argentina).
They must have no more than ten rooms so it feels intimate and homey but at the same time it’s clearly benefited from a designer’s eye. You could say it feels a bit chic. It’s a nice balance. The general mood is very relaxing and low-key with dark wood tones in a modern style in the lobby area and also in the rooms.
Our room opened onto a small balcony overlooking the hotel’s open air courtyard. It was quite sweet. I’m sure if it had been spring or summer we would have enjoyed sitting out there reading in the afternoon and planning our next day. As it was, we ended up doing the same in the lobby, which has some lounge-like seating and chill music (and it’s not too loud).
They upgraded us to a superior room for the same price. I think this was because they had a no-show, since otherwise the hotel was booked solid. I didn’t see a standard room, but I think the main difference is that the superior rooms are bigger. Anyway, the room we had was nice. A comfortable bed is the most important thing for me, and this bed was big (I think Argentine sizes are different, but it was at least a queen) and super comfortable. There must have been a cushioned pad or something like it on top of the mattress. Plus the sheets were good cotton. I definitely looked forward to diving into it every night after walking around all day.
The other thing for me is a good bathroom with good water pressure. The one in our room had pretty mosaic tile everywhere (one of the staff said the tiles are different in each bathroom), a great shower with virtually a flood of hot water, and thick towels. Give me all that and I’m happy.
The hotel does not have a restaurant but that didn’t end up being a problem because they were several great local places recommended by the staff as well as a couple of excellent international restaurants (including Basque!) within 2-6 blocks’ walk. The hotel does have a good small bar, though, with a large selection of vodkas as well as (obviously) Argentine wine, etc. The bar seems to be mostly for hotel guests and their guests. We ended up having drinks there several evenings.
A final note: The hotel—like the neighborhood--was very gay-friendly even though it is not a “gay” hotel. We traveled with straight friends—who also really liked the place--and we all felt equally comfortable.
I have no complaints about the hotel. I think they're really hitting the mark.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank winebluesea
Reviewed June 18, 2009

This was one of two small hotels we stayed at in BA and it was by far our favorite. Nestled away on a quiet street in San Telmo you would never know the great hotel that lies behind the front door. We actually called Babel from the airport and were lucky they had one remaining room for the night. The room was small however for the price it was an incredible value. We were very happy here.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2009

I had received a recommendation from a friend to stay in San Telmo, as opposed to Recoleta or Palermo. We decided to stay at the Babel after reading all the reviews on the web, especially TripAdvisor. In the end, I am very happy with the decision!

We were able to walk almost everywhere - within San Telmo, Puerto Madero, Downtown (Pl. Mayo/Obelisco/Calle Florida/San Martín), even back from the Recoleta! By staying in San Telmo, we also cut down on a lot of hidden transportation costs when staying in the other barrios. (Although when seeing Palermo on a sunny Saturday, we did have second thoughts, albeit temporarily - that neighborhood has a lot of great restaurants and shops too.) As far as safety goes, we didn't feel the least bit concerned about our security while in San Telmo.

Location aside, the hotel was really cute - you almost got the feeling that you were staying at a friend's house - if the friend was into modern design and kept the place super clean. The hotel staff was very accommodating, helpful and pleasant to be around. The breakfast was hearty for Bs As standards.

Yes the rooms are a bit small compared to "standard" hotels, but we really had no problems. Our room was on Balcarce though, and although it was great to be able to open up the door and look out over the balcony, the street is deceiving and can be quite loud at night. The bathrooms are clean, modern, and well maintained. The wi-fi worked well, although a bit slow at times from the room. I think it was just a signal strength issue, as from the lobby/patio it was fast enough to support skype calls with no problems. There is a computer available for public use on the second floor.

Overall, a great place to stay in a fantastic city.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple