“a home away from home”
Review of Hotel Babel

Hotel Babel
Ranked #135 of 443 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed February 18, 2014

ok its basic, the rooms have no phones or bar fridges
the breakfasts are continental with eggs the front doors are kept locked for guest security
but
Richie and his staff will do everything in their power to make your stay an experience
the locale in the heart of San Telmo is perfect for the 'vibe' of old BA
would certainlyy recommend this boutique hotel

Room Tip: if you have luggage then request a downstairs room as there are no lifts
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed here on two occasions, a couple of weeks apart. Our first room was number 2, which we recommend. It is a reasonably large and well furnished room on the ground floor. While it has no window, it opens into the indoor atrium through pleasant shutter doors. On the second occasion, our room was on the first floor, room 9. This room was smaller and, being higher up, hotter in summer. However, it had a full length window opening onto the street below. The beds in both rooms were clean and comfortable. Both rooms had air conditioning, but the second room showed a lot more wear and tear, and the toilet seat was not particularly clean (which makes one wonder about the rest of the room). Internet access for the hotel is available through wi-fi or a computer on the first floor. Breakfast is provided in the lobby, rather slowly. As the hot water is in a vacuum jug, tea and coffee will only be hot if the water is fresh - in this respect the hotel is more like a hostel with private rooms. The staff were friendly and helpful and able to accommodate our limited Spanish. The hotel is very close to a number of good restaurants in San Telmo.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wellhamsrus
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Not a luxury hotel experience, but a good friendly place in the center of San Telmo. Lack of windows but fairly clean and quiet. All the basics for a stay in San Telmo. AND Hotel Babel is purple -- very purple, which makes it easy to find and makes you smile.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 9, 2014

There were no windows in our room, only the room's main door which opened into the public patio so Miguel gave us room number 8 with windows. It felt a bit like a hostel. The room hadn't been cleaned or the bed linen changed so we wondered why LAS Argentinië booked us again such a basic place...

Room Tip: Room number 8!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We chose this hotel because of its location and comments on Trip Advisor. It proved to be in the heart of all things San Telmo. The Sunday market was just a few blocks away, and the choice of restaurants in the area was super. The staff was very helpful. The breakfast was good and served promptly. The rooms were clean and the shower had plenty of hot water. Some of the towels could use replacing, but they were of good quality but showed wear. Best location for exploring the real Buenos Aires.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed here for a night because we wanted to be in the heart of San Telmo. For location, it cannot be beat in this regard. But after so many positive reviews, I was surprised that I found the experience of the hotel itself disappointing.

I liked the art everywhere, and I loved the way the building was renovated- the design was great. But it felt the hotel wasn't kept up enough to live up to the design. It did not feel clean to me. My friend and I both felt a little funny going barefoot in the room. And there was a lingering musty smell everywhere. There were no windows in our room, only the room's main door which opened into the public patio. I felt there poor air circulation. As someone else has said, it felt a bit like a hostel and would have been lovely at hostel prices.

The gentleman at the concierge was friendly and fun, but recommended a restaurant to us that was closed for renovation. He was also the person I had booked with, and he had emailed me once to ask me if I had been charged yet for the room, which was disconcerting, and emailed a couple times to ask me questions I had already answered. Also, I had booked airport transportation through him. When I arrived at the hotel, I was told I had to pay the cab driver in cash, which sort of negated the point of booking it through the hotel. His response was "oh yes, it is always this way," even though I had never booked with them before and my experience in other Argentine hotels had been the opposite. He also played his own music late into the night, which wafted into all the rooms. This would have been fine, except that he was really in the mood to listen to this one song (he told us)... and he kept playing it over and over. Sometimes, he would stop other songs in the middle to go back to it. It's a song I like, but...

I probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is one of the nicest boutique style hotels I have ever stayed in. The place is spotlessly clean and has a lovely modern feel to it. The rooms are spacious, as are the bathrooms. The staff are absolutely amazing - always smiling, always polite, and always helpful. The location is good with public transport nearby (mainly opposite the university, which is close by). The breakfast is also very nice, although it could be improved on a little with a slightly bigger choice ( this is me being critical perhaps!). Check out the Sunday market nearby.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo