“Living democracy in an excellent restaurant”
Review of Melo

Melo
Ranked #199 of 4,843 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: Argentinean, Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Recoleta
netherlands
“Living democracy in an excellent restaurant”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

For already several years I ate at the Melo restaurant, and liked it for its cosy atmosphere among the local Buenos Aires people who come there for the celebrated sunday lunch. This time, again a sunday lunch,but as Bacchus I was a bit worried, even angry. The marvellous Senetiner Malbec was too warm and the waiter told me the restaurant would not provide a cooler for red wine, even when I showed him that on the bottle itself it says: serving temperature 16-17 degrees. Usual problem in many restaurants!. The chef then intervened and brought me the cooler. Then I ordered a bife lomo between rare and 'al punto'. No said the waiter, you have to order it either rare or al punto. I called him dogmatic and asked him te be more flexible. After a while the waiter came with two steaks: I could choose the one best to my taste. One of them between rare and al punto. When I had almost finished that excellent steak the waiter came with yet another one, to compensate for his dogmatism and telling me from now on he will be more flexible.
I like resto's where the personnel really listen to clients, especially when the food is excellent This is a place to recommend. And real value for money. Not only the food, but also the wine is not expensive, and they have very good ones on their list.

• Visited February 2014

bangkok
“Disappointing”
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

Passed this restaurant many times as it is a couple of blocks away from where I am staying and it is always packed generally a good sign !
We decided to try it and arrived about 5 minutes after they opened only one other person was seated. My 1st impression was that I was intruding ,the manager reluctantly showed us to a table and then we sat and sat a good 10 minutes before the menu arrived ! An ominous sign in an empty restaurant. We ordered a pasta to start with which was not that tasty followed by a biffe de churrasco which we shared. As a regular visitor to BA I have had numerous steaks but this was one of the poorer ones asked for it "muy jugiouso"(rare) but it came medium. The steak was 30% fat and the flavour was very bland. People often forget that the restaurant business is the hospitality business, the management and staff at Melo were far from that !

Visited February 2014
1 Thank manchesterianBangkok
Anchorage, Alaska
“Excellent Italian food? Great atmosphere!”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We have been to this restaurant for lunch and dinner almost every day we were in Buenos Aires. It is location on Melo in the Recoleta district. It is open for lunch from about 11:30 am to 2:30 pm then reopens for dinner about 8:15pm. The staff speak limited English but they are VERY helpful. However, Melos has an English menu!! Their meals are very reasonably priced as are the prices for wine! We usually order the same thing, "completa ensalada" (serves two) and I order Nocchi Freddie - mozzarella balls cover with gnocchi/nocchi then cooked in a beef tenderloin rich gravy and meat sauce. Fabulous!!! The gnocchi's are a little larger than golf balls. My husband orders the tenderloin and a rich beef sauce or the Nocchi Freddie. Relax and dine. I would not be in a hurry to eat. If you need to leave tell the wait staff you have to leave by a certain time, otherwise dishes are served slowly. The Malbec wines are delicious. Melos has a delicious sangria type drink either with white, pink or red wine. The Melo sangria was delicious!!! We always recommend this restaurant to anyone who goes to Buenos Aires.

Visited January 2014
canada
“Great local restaurant”
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Went here at the recommendation of some friends who often visit Buenos Aires and we're not disappointed. Full of locals and nice ambience. Shared a salad as a starter with my husband and we had difficulty finishing it. For the main coarse we each had a different pasta dish both of which were very tasty and very reasonably priced. The service was slow as the restaurant was very busy but as we were out for the evening that was okay. I will definitely come again.

Visited January 2014
Stockholm
“Excellent choice for dinner in Recoleta”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Had dinner with my colleague at Melo; it was our first visit. Everything was really good - the service was forthcoming and friendly, the menu was comprehensive, the food was really fine. We both agreed that it's a class above "El Establo" (calle Paraguay) although similarly priced. Also the atmosphere is a bit higher-class, everything is just a litte bit nicer. Would surely go back there. We got a table without reservation around 8 PM, but after that it quickly got crowded (most people had booked tables)

• Visited November 2013