WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Blue Soho Hotel

Blue Soho Hotel
Ranked #361 of 451 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Broadbeach, Australia
“great value, great service & great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed at the Blue Soho for 4 nights. The hotel is a little past its prime and a little run down, but this is Argentina after all, and things cannot be held to the same standard as other countries. but that aside, the room was clean, the staff were friendly and helpful, the price was great and the location was also very good. the room also had the best shower i've ever had in a hotel room.

so if you're going to BA, dont overlook this quaint boutique hotel

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Bjorn B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Turkish first
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I needed a hotel for one night, as repairs were being done back at our apartment. I found this "4-star" rated hotel on a popular website for discounted hotels, that doesn't give the name until you have pre-paid it. Stated free wi-fi in all rooms....well, maybe it was free but only if you could get a signal, which we never did. We could in the lobby. Breakfast was included....nothing special, bare bones. No elevator, although staff was happy to assist. Not sure about the other rooms, but in our room, "Retro" there was no window. My wife stated that hair dryer would not stay in electrical outlet. Toilet was not properly/fully mounted to the floor. Seat didn't want to stay in "up" position. The walls between rooms were thin. The wooden floors appeares to be unfinished. There was a 1" + difference between bedroom area floor and the bathroom floor, that I was reminded of in the middle of the night by means of my big toe. There were "French" doors with fairly flimsy curtains, which allowed light to come through from the hallway. There was a typical in-room push botton safe...interesting to note it was not secured to anything....so if someone broke into the room (via the glass panels of the French door), the "safe" could literally be picked up and removed, albeit, in the locked position. On the plus side, the manager on duty, okay the only person on duty, was very friendly and the location is very good for shopping and restaurants. This definately was not a "4-star" hotel.

Room Tip: Would not recommend the "Retro" room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sonomanorte
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Hotel is in a fantastic location in Palermo and the price was very reasonable, especially since I paid in pesos. However, my room (Yellow) was more like a small step up from a hostel. It was bleak, with limited lightiing, and booby trapped for injury. For example, the sink and bathtub are actually in the bedroom and what separates it is a barely noticeable 2 inch step. Also, if you take a shower you have to navigate a small obstacle course between 2 sinks and step in to a slippery tub. I don't understand why some of these hotels don't put safety stickers in their tubs. The air conditioner leaked a pool of water at the entrance to the door. They service got someone in to repair it the next day, but given the mold and peeling paint below the air conditioner, I'd say this has been going on for a long time. The more I write, the funnier it gets. On leaving the hotel, I was carrying my bags down the stairs (no elevator) and pulled the hand railing off the wall. I wasn't the first person to do this. If you want a reasable price, in a great location, and are alert for your safety then you'll be fine.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Yellow room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed only one night on transfer to the airport and I really struck gold with this charming boutique hotel!! The staff are lovely and their communication was excellent - I had travel problems and didn't reach the hotel until 04:30am but they waited up for me and responded immediately to my emails. Nothing was too much trouble for them (and I pestered them a lot as was worried about arriving so late at night on my own in BA). Finally, the price - I had a concern as the price was significantly less than other hotels nearby but i needn't have worried. My room was beautiful and the breakfast was great. This hotel is a little gem, ooodles of charm and character. I'll definitely stay there again next time in in BA and I'll be bringing my boyfriend
To Anahi especially... a huge thank you!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

For those looking for a place at Palermo, Blue Soho is exactly in the middle of the action. Excellent location! However, pictures at the website are quite better than reality.
We were in several friends staying in different rooms. Some of them were happy about their rooms. Unfortunatley, it wasn´t my case. My room looked old, poorly kept, with mold walls and stains along the bathtub. The half wall of the bathroom gives a bad impression and the bathtub outside doesn´t look good either.
There was only a small window, overlooking the hallway. No lights, no air, no privacy. Fortunatly, it wasn´t noisy.
Breakfast was equally poor. On my last day, I had to leave the hotel around 7:30AM, as I had an early flight. Breakfast wasn´t ready yet, and the guy at the front desk (there was always only one person responsible for everything) wasn´t kind enough to offer me something to drink or eat, before checking out.
I left the hotel in fasting and went walking to another hotel in the neighborhood, where I met other friends who were going together to the airport. At their hotel they were having a nice breakfast, where they could order fresh juices, eggs, etc. Big difference, for very few extra dollars!
Almost forgot to say that I had to call the front desk more than once to open the safe. Go figure! They had to come over and open it with a passpartout. I felt very unsafe and sttoped using it.
I booked the room 6 months in advance and asked for the classic room upon my reservation, because I thought it looked nice on th epictures. My friends booked their rooms after mw and didn´t ask for any specific room. They were upgraded to the executive rooms when checking in. We payed the same rate. Lucky them!

Room Tip: Apparently the rooms upstairs with balconies are better. Ask for one like that.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dakar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Charming hotel in a great location. I stayed here for one night in between my trip to Posadas and Mendoza and fell so in love with the neighborhood that I changed hotels for my last week in Buenos Aires just so I could stay in Palermo. Customer service was great and there was always someone available who spoke English. The rooms are a bit small but very charming and lovely. It's not exactly quiet but I'm not terribly noise sensitive. My only two cons were there weren't a lot of plugs and the safe was entirely too small. I couldn't fit my laptop in it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
oakland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

if you're looking to stay in palermo, blue soho hotel is centrally located. the rooms, however, have paper thin walls and the hotel itself is very echoey. it's not the kind of place where you can relax and get a good nights sleep. the staff is particularly unhelpful there. one of the receptionist in particular gave me directions to a place using the SUBTE assuring me that the subte workers were not on strike, despite the information i had received. to my dismay, after walking 9 blocks to the subway, it turned out that it was in fact closed for another 2 days. save your money an go elsewhere!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple