“Great Find”

Neighborhood: Palermo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Great Find”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We were just walking by and thought the place and menu looked inviting. The staff were fantastic maybe doing something different after getting such poor reviews. Our server spoke perfect english was very friendly and explained the menu to us in detail. We learned later in the evening it was her first night (lol). Hope she stays we will defiantly go again. The food was one of the best meals we have had in Buenos Aires. The fish and seafood sample platter was generous and everything was cooked to perfection with a tonne of flavour. I come from a family of chefs and restauranteurs I would take any of my hard to please family to this restaurant.

• Visited January 2013

Buenos Aires, Argentina
“very good fresh & please add some perspective”
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Nemo is a no frills fish & seafood eatery. Dont come here for the ambiance, be prepared for very small tables and not so comfortable chairs. Service is just OK, and the wine list is also quite basic. Nemo offers fresh fare from the seas in a 200% carnivore city, so its important to have a little perspective when judging its overall performance. Fresh fish in Buenos Aires is a difficult proposition, so with this in the mix I think their performance on food is very good (hence my 4 out of 5 rating). If you come from a fish & seafood blessed city, then Nemo will not impress you and will probably be an only average experience... but regardless, its a great place to have some fish and reset your palate after the dead cow and other red meat overload. Bottom line... Nemo is far superior than all of the non-high end sushi places in Buenso Aires so please do not rule it out because of the spartan settings and some of the other not so favorable reviews.... I say again, in a city of carnivores, this will be a welcome change of air at reasonable prices (especially if you do your math in a hard currency).

• Visited June 2011
8 Thank Gaucho100K
Austin, Texas
“Disappointing Experience”
Reviewed April 6, 2010

I made reservations early this morning for lunch for 5 people and it was a total disappointment. To start the services and attitude from the waitress was awful.
Then they didn't have the wines I selected and had to chose a more expensive one. We ordered the food and after 15 minutes the waitress came back to inform us that they had ran out of the particular fish we asked, and they only had 2 fillets lefts, and we had to pick some other. It took almost 30 minutes to bring our food! and it was just passable.
When I spoke with the manager (owner?) she also had a bad attitude and was very arrogant. Basically indicated that if we didn't like the stuff we could go somewhere else.
There was not fruit salad in the menu for dessert which is a common staple in any restaurant in Bs As. Then we asked for coffee and the answer was "the machine is broken", that was it. We paid and move down the street to a nice cafe/ice cream place to finish out chat.
The prices were very high for Buenos Aires and based on the quality of the service and the food there was no justification for the prices they charge.
When the bill came they had added 7 pesos per person as a cover charge which in the menu it was clearly indicated that it was only in the evenings after 8 PM. When I pointed it out then it was removed from the bill.
The whole experience was terrible, and a personal embarrassment since my wife and I had invited some relatives for a nice lunch. What a fiasco! first time ever in BsAs that I have such a lousy experience. I am a native of Buenos Aires, speak fluent spanish and now live in USA and we were all from Argentina at the table so there wa sno issue communicating with the staff.
The owner and the staff should have a lot to learn !!!

3 Thank DiverDan88
San Francisco
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed November 26, 2009

My trip to Nemo was not what I expected. My wish was for clean, fresh, inspired seafood with all the trimmings. What I got was mediocre, soft, salty, uninspired food with little inspiration to its preparation. While the people were friendly, the atmosphere was nice, and the restaurant was comfprtable with good prices. The main ingredient "the food" was missing in action. We ordered the fix price fish/shellfish/vegie plate for two. The shrimp were almost inedible while the gravlox were really very good.
Given that I have only been there once it might be that you need to know what to order to get the best value for your money.

Galena, Illinois
“Great seafood in the beef capital of the world”
Reviewed November 9, 2008

Just returned from a week in Buenos Aires, and had dinner twice at Nemo - and lunch the day we left. Everything is fresh and grilled and terrific. Basque Shrimp or Pesto Grilled Scallops make terrific first courses. A gigantic platter of 6 whole fresh fish shared by two dinners with two side dishes is an incredible value at 96 Pesos - about 30 US dollars for both. Service is friendly and efficient with enough knowledge of English to make the ordering process fun!! Had a terrific homemade desert of fresh fruit and chocolate mouse that was superb. A few outside tables, and a cozy and intimate interior with a ocean motif. There are many great restaurants in Buneos Aires, so when you have had enough Beef (out of this world at La Raya not too far away) and want some lighter fare that you don't have to unbuckle your trousers after dinner, try Nemo - you will like!!

1 Thank Danamal