“Excellent Steak”

Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Nicolas
Description: Since 1962 is the most traditional Asador Criollo in Buenos Aires ... Steps from the Obelisk. It also offers the best grilled meats in a pleasant country setting. Declared "Tourist Interest and Culinary" by the Secretary of the Nation of Argentina and Buenos Aires City.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Ordered a TBone steak and got a porterhouse steak, nice surprise. It was big about 18oz, they also have a 35oz version as well. We split a salad and an order of fries. The salad was so so the fries were fine, one order is plenty for two people. The bread is dry. The service needs improving specially the payment, as the waiter ask you for how much tip you are leaving so they can added to the credit card charge. I would probably look for a different restaurant with better value. I have been in other BA restaurants with better food and lower prices.

There are newer reviews for La Estancia

Reviewed March 1, 2013

The restaurant is in a great location (we came here after touring the Opera House), and the food was very good. The staff was friendly and the service was good. It is a bit tailored to tourists, so if you're searching for that authentic restaurant, you may want to ask for a more local recommendation.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

La Estancia is a Parilla, or grilled meat restaurant, and it is very good. We arrived at 8:30 to an almost empty restaurant, but by 10:00 when we were leaving, it was almost full to capacity, mostly locals. They eat late in BA.

The mixed grill looked great, but there were a few items that my wife wasn't interested in eating (tripe, kidney). We chose steak; I had a t-bone (which was actually a porterhouse) the size of the dinner plate, and over an inch thick. It was cooked to my liking (rare), and was very flavorful and tender. We each ordered a salad, which was a mistake; we should have shared one between us. We also had grilled provolone cheese as an appetizer. Wonderful!!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

The best steak I have ever eaten. The salad was very good as well.
We ordered the small T-Bone and could not eat it all. Although, tried to eat it all because it was so good!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

The steak and atmosphere was close to expected. I went early and had no problem with seating or service. I ordered a good bottle of wine, some chorizo as an appetizer and a good steak. The wine was excellent and steak average for Argentina. The only serious problem I have is the $4 US charge for bread, butter and sauce I did not eat. After spending more than $60 for one person, I did not expect an add-on. I spoke to a manager who acted like I was from the moon. I will not say "do not go", but, eat all the bread, butter and anything else offered if you do - you will be charged whether you eat it or not. I wanted the full Argentina steak experience - I guess I got it with the extra charge (which may be part of the experience).