“Almost an experience”

Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Nicolas
Description: Since 1962 is the most traditional Asador Criollo in Buenos Aires ... Steps from the Obelisk. It also offers the best grilled meats in a pleasant country setting. Declared "Tourist Interest and Culinary" by the Secretary of the Nation of Argentina and Buenos Aires City.
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The steak and atmosphere was close to expected. I went early and had no problem with seating or service. I ordered a good bottle of wine, some chorizo as an appetizer and a good steak. The wine was excellent and steak average for Argentina. The only serious problem I have is the $4 US charge for bread, butter and sauce I did not eat. After spending more than $60 for one person, I did not expect an add-on. I spoke to a manager who acted like I was from the moon. I will not say "do not go", but, eat all the bread, butter and anything else offered if you do - you will be charged whether you eat it or not. I wanted the full Argentina steak experience - I guess I got it with the extra charge (which may be part of the experience).

Reviewed January 27, 2013

So very typical Argentine restaurant. Noisy, lot of movement, fun, families and wine.
Food is great. Waiters are from another century. Is always a must when in BA.
Ok it a bit touristy, walls decorated with huge paintings etc, but so what I love it.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

La Estancia is a nice restaurant in Buenos Aires where you can have a thick steak grilled on wood fire. Most often, they use charcoal in Argentina but in some places they use wood fire, like they always do in Montevideo, Uruguay. This is one of them

The first time I went there was on August 6, 2002. According to my electronic secretary (an outstanding HP PDA which is the successor of the also outstanding PSION S5 that I had in 2002), that day I had lunch "à la carte" and I had what they call "Bife de chorizo" in Argentina and "Petit Entrecot" in Uruguay (a thick sirloin steak) with french fries, 1/2 bottle of red wine and a custard with "dulce de leche" for a total of 25.50 pesos, which converted then to $7.30 US.

But when I returned to the same place for lunch on Tuesday, January 1st, 2013, I had the same thing with a "Menu Ejecutivo" for 115 pesos. 115 pesos was the cheapest lunch set menu I found in Buenos Aires on January 1st, when most places are closed, after walking from my Ibis hotel by the "Plaza del Congreso" to Corrientes, to Avenida de Julio, to pedestrian Lavalle street, and this lunch set menu converted to... $26.77 US versus $7.30 US in August 2002 eating "à la carte", which is always much more expensive. Price in US dollars was multiplied by four between August 2002 and January 1st, 2013!!!

As I wrote in several comments about Montevideo, Uruguay, these folks have gone locos with the invasion of Brazilian tourists, who spend money without counting and make prices keep going up, up, up.

In my comment about Hotel Klee in Montevideo, I explained that I have been going to that charming city every year between one and three times a year since 1991, and that prices had been very stable between 1991 and 2005, when you could still find a nice room for twenty US$ with breakfast included in the Uruguayan capital. Then, they started going to the roof as Chinese businessmen and Brazilian tourists started pouring in. The same thing takes place in Buenos Aires, as you can see.

This is the main reason why this was my very last trip to those places that I love, after going continuously to Buenos Aires since 1990 and to Montevideo since 1991.

It is true that a French saying states: "Quant on aime on ne compte pas" (“When one loves, one does not count")

Certainly. But there is a limit, as for everything, and with prices now equal and sometimes even higher than in Madrid, I prefer to go to Spain for the same price!

1  Thank Efrin_Knight
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had there a great dinner. The prices are a bit higher than similar restaurants but the plates are also bigger. The service is great, old style waiters that really know their job. We had a big steak and 1/4 chicken, and they were both delicious. So if you are looking for an old style Argentinian parilla for dinner, this is definitely recommended.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

We were looking for a place to eat on Thanksgiving before seeing a Tango show. We happened across La Estancia and were thrilled! We got an amazing steak dinner for 2 with wine (we chose cheaper wine), for under USD 50. I highly recommend the Kabobs which come to your table still being heated over coals.

The ambiance was wonderful, the steak was well flavored and the staff was great. I would go back in a heart beat!