“Meat lovers heaven” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Estancia

La Estancia
Ranked #176 of 4,660 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: San Nicolas
Description: Since 1962 is the most traditional Asador Criollo in Buenos Aires ... Steps from the Obelisk. It also offers the best grilled meats in a pleasant country setting. Declared "Tourist Interest and Culinary" by the Secretary of the Nation of Argentina and Buenos Aires City.
Alice Springs, Australia
“Meat lovers heaven”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

We 'd been in Buenos Aires for close to a week so we'd enjoyed a range of wonderful Legendary Cafes however we hadn't tried the Argentinean grills. When walking down Lavelle Ave we were enticed by the meat being prepared and cooked in the front window. After spending time traveling around Asia I've found that if you can the food preparation and cooking area you are generally guaranteed clean and good quality food.
La Estancia did not disappoint with hearty and flavorsome food. We ordered a turista for two people. We struggled to eat it all. The meat was served on a platter heated by coals. We asked the waiter to choose a Malbec fornus a he chose a reasonably priced but fine wine that complemented the meat.
We were given empanadas and a basket full of bread too.
A hearty and wonderful meal with service from attentive and cheerful waiters.
One young waiter left the restuarant early and farewelled us with "hasta la vista baby" - cliche Ok but it was a hoot.
We also with photoshoot with the knife wielding cook at the front shop.
Total cost about $50usd per head. Not cheap. But we reckon it was worth it.

3 Thank Delcene J

• Greek first
  • Korean first
Mendoza, Argentina
“Looks good...it isn't”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Having had more than a few great steaks elsewhere we thought we would try a parrilla for two. This place looked fantastic from the window and when we got inside it looked great too.

However the table service (standard bread and dips we had elsewhere) was 18 pesos each, more than triple than others, for hard bread, already opened breadsticks and one dip. This wasn't an issue until the whole meal was put into scope afterwards.

We ordered the tourisist parrilla not the Argentinian one because we saw the argentinian one and it didn't look appetising and smelled of offal because that's what it is. Ours arrived promptly and looked fantastic but when we started to eat we realised it was over 50% fat and bone, very little meat and the meat there was was dry. It cost 200 pesos but ate only 50 pesos worth.

I was certain when the waiter brought our bill he said the tip was included in the service charge (that would explain the inflated cost, I thought). We got up and started to leave the waiter came over and rifled thought the notes and as we walking away said loudly "no tip...no tip". I said it's in there and left offended.

I'm a waiter myself, and have NEVER asked for a tip. All in all we were disappointed, a substandard, comparatively expensive meal and a rude of a waiter.

Go to el gaucho across the street. Its fantastic.

1 Thank Thetripadvise
New York
“Enormous portions but plan on dieting afterwards”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

The menu described the mixed grill as for 2. My Spanish is a little weak. I assumed it meant 2 people though in retrospect it could have meant 2 families or perhaps 2 sumo wrestlers. It was great and my appetite is aroused at the sight of the pictures. I don't even remember what else I ate. It couldn't have been much. The price seemed a little high but, given the quality, quantity and careful preparation, it was worth it. If you exchange dollars for pesos in the adjacent shopping area and pay in cash, you will save a bunch.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bogota, Colombia
“A must if you go to B.A.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

La Estancia is the place to taste the world famous Argentinian beaf. I would recommend the Bife de Chorizo, similar to the NY steak, with glorious taste. As an appetizer you would want to try the Provole cheese, or an Argentinian chorizo. To accompany your meal ask for a Malbec red wine, top among Argentinian wines.

The service is very good. I've been going to Buenos Aires for more than 36 years, and every time I visit this temple of the Argentinian beaf.

• Visited October 2011
Thank Juan M. L
Montevideo, Uruguay
“Traditional restaurant in the heart of B.A.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Excellent food, excellent service, reasonable prices. I would say everything was great, like in the old days, when I went to this very same restaurant with my family.

Visited July 2012