“Hands off! Not a professional hostel!”

Palermo Soho Hostel
Hamburg, Germany
“Hands off! Not a professional hostel!”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Needed a hostel for 2 nights in Buenos Aires, called to reserve a double room. They told me that if I do not pay for reservation they cannot guarantee the double room, so I went and reserved the double room. The next day I arrived with my friend and luggage and all double rooms were occupied so they gave us a triple room, BUT wanted us to pay for the 3rd bed.
Since the room was really not acceptable, without window and and a very tiny toilet with an integrated shower, we preferred to take a 4-bed room without private bathroom. It tuned out that we have to pay for 4 beds now and that in the entire hostel there is only ONE bathroom to share with the others. You even have to ask for touilet paper and have to get up every hour during the night to ask them to turn on the air conditioner. You pay for a room with air conditioner but cannot control it by yourself which is a joke !!
Hostel staff is not friendly and qualified !
The only good thing the hostel has is the door to leave for a stroll through the nice streeets of Palermo Hollywood !

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank felicebrd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I was booked to stay in this hostel for from 30/12 until the 08/01. I had payed my stay before arrival using a credit card. When I got there they said they needed to see the credit card (which I did not have with me since I was using another one for the trip) or I'll had to pay again. They asked for the money and said they would cancel the amount I payed using the card.
On the 31st the flush broke, I asked them to get it fixed and they did, just for it to brake again one day later. The bowl was extremely hot turning the water in it into vapor, and because the flush was broken a terrible smell kept coming into the room.
Besides the flush the shower wasn't working properly (the water didn't keep a stable temperature, going from hot to cold, or flow, going from strong to a drizzle, which made for a very uncomfortable shower). Also, every time you had a shower the bathroom would flood.
I was on a room supposed to have air conditioning (that was what they adverted when I booked it), however they kept turning it off even when I was in the room in order to save energy, which is absurd since they charged for a room with a/c.
On top of all this the room was very dirty.
After all that had happened I decided to check out on the 4th. Due to all the problems I experienced I asked to have the money back for the days I did't stay. The manager said it was impossible to do so. Besides not giving back the money for the days I didn't stay they also charged the stay on my credit card.
THIS WAS THE WORST RIP OFF I SUFFERED IN MY LIFE!!!

Room Tip: I was supposed to be in one of the best rooms in the hostel and this is how I was treated, I can onl...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TNA2

Travelers are raving about these Buenos Aires hotels

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Booked a double room with private bath. The room was so small you could hardly get around. Carpet, sheets and towels were stained. The bathroom was even smaller and it got flooded after the one shower we took. On the wall over the bed headboard there were built-in cement cubes that were so low you would hit your head trying to get in and out of bed. The room seemed to have had a door conecting to the room next door, which was so poorly blocked that you could see light coming through and hear absolutely everything. When we complaint and ask our money back for the second night we had booked, they gave us the round around, and actually made us come back several hours later to collect our money.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I'm sitting in the lobby of the Palermo Soho Hostel right now, hoping despite knowledge to the contrary that the nitwitted, rude reception boy can understand English and can read what I am doing, because more than anything I feel the distinct desire for revenge at this place. I feel violated, fleeced, robbed of my hard earned dollars. In fact I already he can't speak english, as I asked earlier in order to bash his establishment via phone without his knowledge. I've had better sleep in bus stations than this place. I'd feel more comfortable at pedophilliacs anonymous than this place. I don't understand how it's full of people. As already stated, they quote prices on the internet that simply are not true, when you arrive, especially if there is rain and you appear tired, as I did. It is as much as twice as much as the quotes price. The location, while ok, is not fantastic, besides it's fairly easy to get around Buenos Aires so this doesn't present much of an obstacle anyway. The rooms are cramped, THERE ARE NOT LOCKERS, and they provide no other recourse to secure your valuables, the beds are small the mattresses must date from sometime around Dickens time, because they offer no support, but aren't the worst mattresses I've encountered. The breakfast is awful, the people are RUDE RUDE RUDE, and I hate this place and I'm never coming back. I wish I could give it negative stars.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank csantos222
sydney
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I arrived with a reservation, they told me i had to pay more because they didnt keep my reservation!! The staff did not care about anything, and the atmosphere of the whole place is just dead. Worst hostel i have ever been to. Period.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed November 30, 2010

the price changes everytime you ask and if you arrive late they try to give you the ugliest room thinking you may not say no at a late hour.

rooms look horrible and smell

there is no charm about this place

breakfast is fine and the location is not so bad.

I dont reccomend this place

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Recife
Reviewed November 6, 2010

I've stayed in many hostels all over the world, but this is far the worst hostel ever! They put us in a room flooded in water because of a rain storm occured the day before, we couldn't walk from the bed to the bathroom without using special shoes! The bathroom was extremely dirty and the toilet stayed inside the bath area, so you can imagine the mess...
The staff is the most miseducated I ever had the chance to met... They used to spent the day watching tv on the couch and really didn't seem to care about anything, but the soccer games. I'm sure they were not hired to work there, I think they were probably friends of the owner, who used to go there to take advantage of the reception cable tv.
The owner, Mariano, is extremely pathetic, we slept 2 nights there and when we asked our money back (we paid 5 nights) he totally ignored us and during the next 3 days he kept saying he didn't have money!
The worst experience in hostels! Don't recommend to anyone!
This place should be closed...

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple