Tripadvisor
Buenos Aires
Post
Inbox
Search

“Great parrilla, not the best”
Review of Don Julio

Don Julio
Ranked #33 of 7,238 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Palermo
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Articles have been saying Don Julio is the best restaurant in Argentina, one of the best in South America. I think they took it too far, its a regular parrilla, very good one, excellent quality. But I wouldnt say the best one in the country. I ordered a bife de lomo jugoso, it was blue more than rare. I dont mind, I still liked it, but 3 more min on the grill wouldve been perfect. The tomatoes were delicious and the provoleta was very good. I did not like the chorizo, Ive had thousands better than that one. Service was excellent and ambiance perfect for a parrilla. Too expensive, but then again you have to make a reservation with months in advance so it figures they will over charge for everything. All in all it was very good just lower down the expectations a bit and be prepared for an expensive meal

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (10,512)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Able to choose my huge T bone. Prepared deliciously! Potatoes so creamy! Nice salad Great Flan. Happy

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had to book with one month of advance, due to availability. The booking system is very easy to use, I had to change dates and didn't have any issue.
The service during the meal was excellent, from the waiters and the quick delivery of the food into the table. The wine menu is very extensive and has elegant wines, beginning in 800 ARS and above approximately. The list of wines for dessert also very extensive in comparison to other places where they don't even have one. And it has the best "Flan con dulce de leche" I have ever tasted.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We were recommended to come here by a colleague of mine who frequently travels to BA. And we are so glad she did. We were able to get the last lunch reservation 2 weeks out during our 5 day stay (they book out for dinner a month in advance). They have an open parrilla "grill" where you can watch the Chefs cook. They have wine bottles and racks all over the walls, a wine cellar under the restaurant, it feels like old school Argentine with the dark wood and brick walls. Just a lovely atmosphere. Welcomed graciously at the door with a complimentary glass of champagne, which we later found was a typical Argentine custom in restaurants they start and finish you off with a complimentary drink. The service was excellent, I can't remember our servers name but he was top notch and made good recommendations since we were a little overwhelmed with the menu and didn't know where to begin (we wished we could speak/read Spanish, but his English was perfect), he was very patient with us and very friendly. The 3 of us (my dad, brother and I) ended up ordering the T-Bone and Ribeye to share per our waiters suggestion, as well as the steak fries (patatas fritas), eggplant side dish and the melted goat cheese provoleta appetizer, bread and chimichurri. Washed down with a nice bottle of malbec and some cocktails. We spent 3 hours there (not because the service was slow, it wasn't at all, we were just having such a good time) and it was a fabulous long lunch. We were so full and we are big eaters, the steaks and side dishes are huge. We wanted to try their popular tomato salad side dish but it just looked too big at the table next to us. When we left we saw there was a line outside the restaurant for walk-ins for lunch. We walked here from our lodgings in Recoleta, it took about 35-40 minutes and I'm glad we did, so we didn't feel too guilty for eating such a big delicious meal. Plus we got to see more of the city. Will definitely go back the next time I'm in BA with my husband.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Extremely good steakhouse, very friendly and efficient service, not a bit feeling being hurried throughout the dinner. Steaks were cooked to perfection, highly recommend the tenderloin and T-bone, both were excellent. The cheese melt as a starter was great too. If you are a lover of Argentinian wines, you are in heaven, really impressive collections with over 530 labels and 15,000 bottles in the cellar. Our ordered “ White Bones” and “Cobos Malbec 2010” were excellent, would be even better if they could be decanted for longer. They accept USD, rate was even better than currency exchange, 1 USD to 70 pesos.