“Great steaks!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Don Julio

Don Julio
Ranked #24 of 4,736 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Palermo
Guayaquil
“Great steaks!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

We went there twice in our 5 day stay in BA. Once for lunch and another for dinner. Very popular (also by locals). By far the best option for steak (quality vs price). Reasonable wine list.

Visited November 2012

• Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

At my hotel's recommendation i headed to Don Julio for my first Argentinian steak - and i wasnt disappointed! The place is low key and the staff very friendly. I was there on my own which reatauarants often seem to struggle with, but they were just the right balance of attentive and relaxed. I had a chorizo, mozarella and sundried tomato starter - it was nice but in retrospect I didnt need that much food... Then i had a half lomo (tenderloin) which was fabulous along with the potato gaufrettes and vegetables (so so - rather overboiled). I also had an extremely good wine - Payana Malbec - which they serve by the glass. The whole thing came to about USD$50 which i thought was very reasonable. At the end they ordered me a radiotaxi and gave me limoncello while i waited. A lovely touch to end a lovely evening

London, United Kingdom
“Can it be beaten?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

I felt the need to write this review while dat at the restaurant. Without doubt one of the greatest steaks I have ever eaten. Situated in the trendy Palermo Viejo, it has plenty of restaurants - let alone Parillas - to compete with. But there is a reason people are willing to wait close to an hour for a table. It's exceptional.

I arrived at 9pm on a Saturday night and had a short wait to get an outside table (those arriving post 9.30 had a long time queuing). Upon arrival I was greeted with a glass of sparkling wine and was shown to my roadside table.

I was then given a selection of warm bread and chimichurri - just what was needed! I ordered the humitas empanadas to start. None of the reviews on here mentioned this. I heartily recommend. Definitely the tastiest empanadas I have tried so far in BA. The filling was sweet but with texture - something that can be sadly lacking in UK equivalents.

Then came the mains. I selected the T-Bone and asked for it rare. I had been warned Argentinean parillas can be difficult when it comes to ordering anything other than medium. So asking if I wanted out blue was a pleasant surprise. It was perfectly cooked and was accompanied by a plentiful portion of fries (they certainly don't do half sizes).

There is an extensive wine list covering most budgets - I choose the Tierra Promedita (a bargain at under AR $100). My entire meal came to c.AR $200. While you may well find cheaper in BA, why compromise?

Dallas
“Not as good as the hype”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Good meal- yes. The best steak ever-no. I live in Texas and this didn't compare. It was as if they didn't season the meat before grilling it. And most of the sides are a variety of fried potatoes. Not worth the $.

Visited November 2012
Iowa
“Not as good as other BA parrilladas, especially at that price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Went to a long-awaited dinner @ don Julio last night. We sat outside and the weather and ambiance were fantastic. I ordered a 1/2 entrana (skirt steak) and my fiancé ordered a half order of short ribs. We also got an order of papas fritas and a bottle of malbec, one of the least expensive on the list for 95 pesos. Basically all of this was very good; the steak and ribs were nicely cooked, the fries were satisfyingly salty and crispy, and the wine was rich, almost sweet, and fun to try. However I feel like don julios prices are a little unjustified-- we spent about 360 pesos all told, and though our server was very nice, it wasn't like the restaurant was any fancier than any other parrilladas we have visited in Argentina and Uruguay. Honestly I think you can do better for your money in buenos aires. However, don Julio would be an appropriate choice if you do not speak Spanish (most of the other diners were speaking in other languages and seemed like they were also tourists) or if this is your first or only parrillada experience and you want to make it easy and surprise-free. I much preferred my meal at gran parrila del plata, in San telmo, which cashed in at about 100 pesos less and featured twice as much food. Don julios salsas weren't as good as others I've had either, just the basic pepper, onion, vinegar and the basic chimichurri.

One thing to note is that the beef here at don Julio is the most earthy grass fed beef I have ever tasted...it is good but it will definitely taste different to most North Americans. It has a distinctive flavor that is worth trying, and if the sourcing of the beef is particularly special about don Julio, that might be why the prices are higher. Just FYI. :)

2 Thank Lucy_Wanderlust