“Thieves (Ladrones!)”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Tango Backpackers

Tango Backpackers
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buenos Aires
Tango Backpackers
Quito, Pichincha, Ecuador
“Thieves (Ladrones!)”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

I left my wallet in the bathroom for approximately one minute and returned to find it being cleaned by a staff member who said it was down at reception, but when I got there, 400 pesos were missing from my wallet, and when I informed the staff, they said they couldnt even tell me who turned it in. Liars and thieves. I wouldnt come back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

We stayed here for a few nights in late October 2011: it was by far the worst hostel I have ever been in. Rooms were very mouldy, damp and very unclean. Beds were horrendous, uncomfortable, dirty and probably infected with some bugs. Staff were also unfriendly and seemed to have an astonishling lack of knowledge of the area or indeed the tourist ideas promoted on their own boards. It is cheap so that's probably a redeeming feature but there will definitely be better value elsewhere. One to avoid.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Peter82

Travelers are raving about these Buenos Aires hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

An OK hostel, nothing special. A nice old building which was probably a very cool hostel once upon a time. Clean and nice communial areas. A bit run down in parts and lacks the personal touch you get in hostels that arent part of a big chain like this on. Close to the nice cafes and bars in Palermo but if you arent fussed about staying in Palermo then there are nicer hostels accross BA.
The staff were friendly enough but lacked the passion and enthusiasm that you can find from people who work in one man band hostels. The breakfast was average but did the job. The travel people were helpful. Despite having 'organised fun'charts all over the walls, the hostel lacked atmosphere. Its the sort of hostel where people sit around listening to a bloke strumming his guitar really 'finding themselves'.....not really for me!
They also make you pay for your stay up front which is unlike any other hostel in SA - perhaps because they are a chain? The toilets/bathroom area was clean enough but the whole place is just a bit tired.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

Are you looking for good times and friends that you'll have for the rest of your life? Sure, travel is what you make it but I can only say good things about the people, hostel and staff at Tango. Antonela, Nata, Nacho, Joaquin and the rest of the staff at Tango made my stay here not only amazing but unforgettable.

As far as logistics go, Tango is in Palermo, a beautiful district of Buenos Aires close to pretty much everything that you'd want to see in the city. They organize anything you would want to do as well. Want to book a trip to see Iguazu, a soccer game or go to the antiques market? Want to see an authentic tango show or La Bomba or take spanish lessons? Want to see parts of BA that don't come up in the guide books? These guys will not only help you, most of the time they'll come with you to show you the ins and outs of this incredible city.

The hostel itself is older, really cool architecture that makes you feel like you are actually living and not just visiting this beautiful city. The beds are clean, the costs are cheap and there is complimentary breakfast. They have their own bar which means if you're ever up for a crazy night, you can make it happen easily since there's always someone down for an adventure in the lobby.

Most importantly is the vibe at Tango; friendly, welcoming and genuinely caring. These people want to make sure that you get the best experience possible. Not only did I make lifelong friends with the staff but the hostel attracts really interesting and fun people from all over the world. People are accepting and hospitable; when my friend Nick lost his luggage on the night that he was to go back to NZ, Anto and Nata helped him go to the embassy, translate to the consul so he could get a passport. They helped him stay at the hostel even though they were pretty booked and really made sure that he could get home as quickly as possible. When my friends and I wanted to go to Cordoba, we were able to take smaller bags and leave the majority of our stuff at the hostel and I didn't have a single thing go missing. Trustworthy and reliable, it feels like you are staying with your friends and you should.

If you go into it with an open mind and an open heart, this place will help you discover yourself and have the time of your life. I know I did, and as much as I love BA, these people are now friends I will always love and when I think of the 6 weeks I spent, I wouldn't change a thing.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

I came out to BA in transit to Bariloche with a ton of friends from back in Los Angeles. I was in charge of organizing everything but I hadn’t organized accommodation before I came out here other than booking 3 nights in Tango’s which had been recommended to me by some friends. It was such a friendly hostel - the staff were all so so nice, and the common room area was really nice. Unfortunately the bathrooms were pretty gross as was the kitchen, but i had sort of expected this from a hostel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2010

This hostel is not great for couples, but good for singles or backpackers. The staff is really nice and helpful and this place is set up to meet other travelers. You do have to pay in advance, but we've found this to be standard here at the hostels in Buenos Aires (we've stayed in three so far).

Some of the rooms are nicer than others. I found some parts of the place to be charming and lovely. Staff cleans the place pretty thoroughly everyday, so we didn't have trouble with cleanliness (although the first room we were in had a mold smell, so we moved). Can be loud, so perhaps not recommend for light sleepers.

Basic but fun place to stay. Great location in Palermo.

You can't complain for the price of 40 pesos for the bunks ($10US)!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2010

This place is truly filthy and the staff are either drunk or too hung over to be of any help. We stayed in a double room which smelt aweful. We only stayed because we got a free night. The bathrooms and showers are revolting and there was never any toilet paper. The party scene is not even that good, there are plenty of other nicers places to stay. I would never recommend this hostel to anyone. We were also bitten by bed bugs so had to sleep in our sleeping bags. I would never return here.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple