“Trendy decor, pleasant service, food could be better”
Review of Green Bamboo

Green Bamboo
Ranked #538 of 5,179 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Palermo
Reviewed November 12, 2012

If you are looking to bump into a local celebrity you probably won´t be dissapointed. But if you want real good Vietnamese food you might feel a little let down. The dumplings were tough, my dish said "rice" on the menu, but no noticeable rice was in it. All in all, the cooking is not bad, but not great either. Servings are rather skimpy too, so if you are very hungry you are better off going to a parrilla for a good bife de chorizo. Anyway, service was courteous and helpful, the "mojitos" very good and the place is friendly with a glamorous touch about it. A bit pricey, tough.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Okay, maybe that's a stretch, but it was our best dining experience. Located in the trendy neighborhood of Palermo Hollywood, the decor is funky yet romantic and the food is excellent. We had Cha Gio (great), Pho (very good), and steak cubes (excellent). And the Chocolate Lava Cake (it's called something else), is one of the best I've ever had in my life, second only to Perry Street in New York City.

If you need a break from the many excellent parillas in BA, go here!!

Note: It is fairly expensive. New York prices.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We go nuts over our Asian food, particularly Vietnamese & Thai, and living in Australia, we're spoiled for choice with authentic Vietnamese restaurants at very reasonable prices....we didn't know how lucky we were until we went to Green Bamboo!!

I ordered Bun Cha & my husband had the Cha Ca, the pork was nicely cooked but it was cold and the flavours weren't balanced or exactly right. The Cha ca was a dry version and again, the flavours weren't a lot like the versions we had in Hanoi earlier this year & fish was barely hot & too salty. Meals were a good size and very filling but I think I would be more forgiving if the prices had been a little more realistic. Each dish was about AR$90 and we also had a couple of weak mojitos which came to around US$90 (no entrees, no coffee or dessert).

Atmosphere was good, great decor & music, but the thing that wins me over in the end is the food and it should've been a whole lot better. Typical of Bs As, it's a place for the cool folk to hang out and feel like they're doing something exotic for the night.

For a better meal at around the same price in Bs As, go to Hernan Gipponi's restaurant at Fierro Hotel. For authentic Vietnamese food at ridiculously cheap prices & a memorable holiday, go to Vietnam............ maybe give Green Bamboo a miss.

1  Thank SerenityChaos
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

We're in Buenos Aires for 3 weeks (after 2.5 months in South America). For a change of pace from the "bife de chorizo" and pizzas and pastas, Green Bamboo seemed promising. Nice atmosphere, attentive English speaking staff, but definitely not Vietnamese food as I am used to having. I did set my expectations low going in because I know tastes can differ in other countries, but I accidentally got my hopes up high when I saw they had my favorite Bun Cha on the menu. The pork was tender, flavorful, and cooked well, but I'm still not certain I got what I ordered. Wheat noodles instead of rice noodles, some kind of sauce but not nuac cham, the pickled veggies were more like japanese cucumber vinegar salad, and no spices in anything. However, our appetizer of grilled chicken on sugar cane skewers was excellent. As others have commented, our simple meal with 2 glasses of wine came to US$85, which is one of the more expensive meals we've had in Argentina. And, although I enjoyed the change in flavors, it wasn't worth the $ and what I was expecting. Sorry. However, great place for a date night!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We went there for dinner and had a very nice experience, my first time trying Vietnamese food and I just loved, they have wonderful entrees and as main dishes a lot of options, the food is a mix of Thai, Chinese etc, really good, the place is also very cool, nice decorations and the clients are awesome. Staff is a 10, we were very well served and had a great experience.