“Local’s Favorite, Great Food, Rich History, Homey Feeling”
Review of El Sanjuanino

El Sanjuanino
Ranked #114 of 6,902 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Neighborhood: Recoleta
Reviewed November 3, 2018 via mobile

It’s the only place in Buenos Aires we returned for the food, the simple traditional setting and a surprisingly lacking of tourist considering its great location.

Whether it’s the delicious and perfectly cooked Milanesa de Pollo, or the Bife de Chorizo steak, it’s all simply great. Great tomato salad, pastas, and of course, empanadas.

Come, sit, eat, but don’t be in a rush because the service is slow and the waiters asks repeatedly to verify what we ordered. In spite of that, I give it a 5 stars because it almost seems they do it on purpose, could it be? The majority of people come to pickup their takeouts, and we see motorcycle delivery guys in and out frequently.

Date of visit: November 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (3,470)

Reviewed October 29, 2018

Not a huge place, so best to arrive when it opens at about 7. The empanadas are great, among the best we had in Argentina (and we had them almost every lunch and dinner as a starter). Service was quick. Decor is pretty simple. They do a tremendous take-out business in, you guessed it, empanadas

1  Thank markwY4783QE
Reviewed October 28, 2018

My wife and I booked a table and was a good idea to do that. The place does get extremely busy, they also cater for take-away . I ordered steak and it was enormous and cooked to perfection, my wife had the exotic salad as she is not a big eater. We also had a bottle of red and was surprised how cheap the bill was. I really want to make one more visit before we leave Buenos Aires.

Reviewed October 27, 2018 via mobile

Empanadas were good. We tried the baked ones with carne suave, carne fuerte, and pollo. I think my expectations were too high because of how popular it is.

Reviewed October 22, 2018 via mobile

Very local kind of place which started to get busy close after opened in the evening. Read good reviews about their empanadas so had to give them a go. We tested roquefort and ham & cheese. Bith being good, liked roquefort one more. I had steak with fries and my wife ate spagetti bolognese. Big portions and very good - especially for the price. Dessert flan bread with cream and dulce de leche was a disappointment which lowered my total review. Very friendly service even English was very limited as was my Spanish but we got along well - no problems.