“Enjoyable Stay”

HI Hostels Suites Palermo
Denver, Colorado
“Enjoyable Stay”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I spent five nights in Hostel Suites, Palermo and I enjoyed my stay. I was in an all women's dorm, which had it's own bathroom (which was nice). The room was kept clean, the staff was friendly, so that puts it above average hostels. They had a lot of activities that they could plan, but they were a little expensive. They also helped reserve my shuttle to the airport (with a different company than the one they offer). The area is nice, and I think it's a great place to stay. The rooms themselves were a little expensive, but at least the quality was good.

Room Tip: If you are a women traveler, do the all women's dorms. It's nice that they have their own ba...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I stayed here 2 nights on two spate occasions due to its relatively close location to the Jorge Newbery Airport. I was able to walk from the airport to the hostel. It was fairly safe, with lots of people around Av Sarmiento and the park. I did the walk when it started to get dark.

The hostel is in a great location near to the night clubs and the Subte and buses. The hostel has good security, with the receptionist having to buzz you in. There is an outdoor area on the bottom floor, with tables and seating fro breakfast, drinks and socialising. There is also an indoor area with a TV, tables and couches as well as couches on the second floor. There is also a kitchen available for guest use. The building has character and is old, but generally well maintained. The dorm rooms have AC and ensuite bathroom. There is free WIFI and it is pretty easy to meet other travellers. I would definitely recommend this hostel and wold stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hostel is well organized and spotless. The rooms are basic, but clean, quiet and felt safe. We stayed here in a private room at the beginning and end of our time around Argentina in March/April. The location is excellent as its close to the main road- Santa Fe and the subway making it easy to explore the rest of BA and only a 10-15 minute walk to the main shopping and nightlife area of Palermo Soho and Palermo Hollywood. The 2nd floor common area up the marble stairs is much more comfortable than downstairs. The one major flaw of this hostel is the lack of hot water in the showers. Our first room had hot water after letting it run for 5 minutes. But on our last 3 nights there, we never had hot water even after leaving it on for 15 minutes (such a waste). We came to BA sooner than expected at the end so we had to stay at another hostel around the corner first. That hostel (Amasoho) was awful and filthy, so it made not having hot water worth it for a clean space. The staff all spoke English and were very helpful and friendly. They also provide you with an excellent map of the city and subway.

Also note, for some reason it's significantly cheaper to book this hostel online. So make sure you book online and don't just walk in. Our friends just walked in and it was nearly 100 pesos more a night.

Autumn and Abe
Asquaredadventures.com

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Asquaredadventures
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

We got a private room (which was actually pretty much the same price as a hotel). The room itself was pleasant enough, although on closer inspection it was not particularly well cleaned. The bathroom was very cramped but it did the job.

My main complaint was the bedding... There was no fitted sheet on the mattress... Just a plain old sheet which fell off every time you moved (exposing a very grubby mattress underneath). Like another reviewer, we also ran out of toilet paper and were told there was none. For over 300 pesos per night, I wouldn't expect to have to go out to buy my own toilet roll! Breakfast was also very poor... Some bread, no butter (out of stock) and a scrap of jam (almost out of stock!). Also the kitchen is tiny, poorly stocked with cooking utensils, half of the oven rings don't work, and there is only one fridge for everyone in the hostel to store food.

On the plus side, the staff are lovely and the location is great.

This place may be worth a stopover if you are paying for a dorm room, but if you are looking to get a private room, then it is very poor value for money..... There are so many better options in BA.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank goggyb

Travelers are raving about these Buenos Aires hotels

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I booked this Hostel after staying in a lovely lodge in the San Telmo area (La Querencia de Buenos Aires). We stayed in a double room with a private bathroom for the same price as our place in San Telmo however we were not impressed. Here are our pros and cons:

Pros:
1) the reception staff are really nice and helpful.
2) the location of the hostel is great.
3) Although there are many people staying at the hostel and during the day there is a bit of noise, in the evening, there is very little noise.
4) the kitchen is clean enough.

Cons:
1) We ran out of toilet paper in our room and when we asked for more we were told that they had run out! Apparently the supplier hadn´t arrived.
2) Breakfast consisted of toast, cereal and tea. When we came down for breakfast there was no jam or butter, we asked for more but were told that there is no more because (again) the supplier had not arrived.
3) The bed sheets on the mattress were not fitted therefore they kept slipping off and we found ourselves sleeping on the stained mattress.
4) In general the room was not clean. There were stains on the towels, sheets & mattress. There was a butter knife left behind the radiator. There was dust in a few places and some hairs!
5) The shower was tiny and we had to keep the shower curtains open just to fit in. The hot tap kept cutting off so we were left with cold water.

If we were staying here for little money a night then it would be fine but we were paying $70 a night so we expected more. I know there are much nicer places around so if I were you I would skip this place and look for a better option, especially as a couple.

Room Tip: go to La Querencia de Buenos Aires instead.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed here for two nights last week and found the place to be very clean and comfortable. The front dest staff are very knowledgeable and speak at least English alongside Spanish. We had a double room at the front with a small balcony and found it delightful. Beautiful old furniture, great features and a comfortable bed. A basic breakfast is included, although they could do with another toaster as we had to wait about 20 minutes to get some bread in one morning!

Room Tip: Room 20 at the front (a double with en suite) is beautiful, with a small balcony (the only one we th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BeckyHumberstone
vancouver
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed there in Jan 2011. I really liked the building and the staff and I met some nice guests when I was there. I also had local friends living in the area which was great also. I don't have anything to complain about because I love people and and a good deal and the people I met were great and it was a great deal. Try staying at a hostel in North America and you will really appreciate what Argentina has to offer at a fraction of the cost. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I miss them. The building was beautiful and in a nice district of Buenos Aires with many things to see within walking distance and a Subte station nearby. Palermo is a tready neighbourhood full of great places to eat and it is a lot quieter than down on Florida Street where I stayed before. I would highly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo