“Dashed hopes”

La Vineria de Gualterio
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Telmo
Reviewed January 28, 2011

When the best part of the evening is the cab ride to a restaurant it doesn't say much for the food. We had high hopes, had heard wonderful reports and expected a foodie sensation. Halfway through the far too numerous course we wished it were all over and we could go home. Not enough diversity of textures or tastes, too many spoonfuls of unidentified crumbled bits and two courses that were unpleasant to the taste. Highlights were the first bite of frozen smoked salmon ball and final bite of chocolate dry ice creation. Other than that, extremely disappointing. BA has far better places to spend the evening. Oh, the cab ride. The driver had old Beatles songs blasting away and we sang our way to San Telmo. Find him if you can

Reviewed January 4, 2011

Honestly, I had read so many wonderful things about this place that I was sure my husband and I were going to have a great experience. Boy were we wrong.
We arrived at 8:50 pm, seeing as the website politely asks you to be "on time". Well, the restaurant's doors were closed (and the remain locked for the entire time because the neighborhood is very sketchy). A woman opened the door but, instead of greeting us, she says "we're opening in 10 minutes". She simply left us outside, on the dark street! That should have been a sure tell-tale of what was about to come.
Apparently, they have two types of menu - a large, 16 course one, and a smaller one. Being a petite girl, I asked if I could have the small menu - only to receive a resounding NO from the same lady/waiter. They weren't serving that menu that night.
To sum up the food: original and very good at times (the pork was heavenly), but bland and too confusing sometimes. As my husband put it, sometimes simple food is the best.
After three long hours and too many meals, I left feeling stuffed and unimpressed.
And it is SO PRICEY! Honestly? Save your money for other culinary experiences in Buenos Aires!

4  Thank Nina B
Reviewed May 16, 2010

I was there a couple of times and it was a good restaurant but I dont know what happened and it is an absolutly different restaurant. Its expensive, the ambient is bad and there are only to people to serve. Its a waste of money.

2  Thank ironmanba
Reviewed May 5, 2010

14 courses of incredible artistic presentation, gracious service, and superb wine pairings costing approx $75 U.S. per person. This is a dining experience not to be missed. Watching the kitchen is like getting a dinner show thrown in for free. In short, La Vineria should be in the running for the Nobel Prize for food.

Reviewed May 1, 2010

If you only want the usual restaurant food dont go. If you want a unique experience and value for money its fantastic.
Dont expect fries or burgers or other ethnic foods.