“Excellent custom leather shop in Buenos Aires”

Silvia y Mario Shop Florida
Ranked #19 of 190 Shopping in Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: We are a leatehr factory and shop, with 30 years of experience. You can bauy any of our wide selection leather jackets, have it altered for you or have a new jacket made. For special orders, 24-48 hours are needed. No need to schedule appointment, any of our salesladies will help you in the process of tailoring.
Corpus Christi, Texas
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Excellent custom leather shop in Buenos Aires”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

This was a very good experience. We hired a professional guide in Buenos Aires, Elizabeth Georges, who showed us a great time taking us around the city and taking us to this specialty leather shop. They lock the doors and don`t let just anybody in. We bought many different leather jackets and accessories. I had a leather jacket made for my wife and brought it home and it was too small. Ariela Korenwaser with Sylvia Y Mario is trying to help my wife get a new custom jacket that will fit her better. Her attitude has been fantastic and everybody in the shop treated us very well. The employees were all very helpful.

Visited October 2012
4 Thank Jeff W

• Korean first
San Francisco, California, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Only-stop leather shopping”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Overall, I was highly disappointed with the quality of leather goods in argentina. Currency inflation no longer makes buenos aires a bargain destination, and 90% of what you find in the streets is absolute crap. Even stores like Rossi y Caruso were trying to pass off poorly glued wallets for absurd prices.

The one exception as far as jackets go is silvia y Mario. The quality is superb and you can still buy a custommade jacket for around $280 (if you pay in US dollars). Service was excellent and not pushy at all, and I highly recommend meeting Sylvia herself when fitting for a jacket.

If you are making a custommade jacket though, make sure you clarify every single little detail including the placement of zippers, lengths and width of pockets, etc. If you don't, they will make assumptions - although that's not to say they are bad assumptions.

If you find yourself in buenos aires needing a leather jacket, check silvia y Mario out. Don't waste your time anywhere else.

5 Thank ykim917
Brazil
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Size in a rush”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

Slivia is a very sympathetic person that will welcome very kindly all their costumers. Products look nice and seems to be very good quality. Price is very good also. Nevertheless the products seems to be finalized in a rush, for the size tags may be glued over the original ones if they are cut off (the four I bought were all cut off). In that process some may be wrong tagged. You must try on the ones you like more, no matter what the tag size says. I bought one medium and one extra large - both the same size...

Visited February 2012
2 Thank SuelyBrazil
Suffern, New York
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“I love my new leather jacket!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

I knew that I wanted to purchase a leather coat or jacket while in Argentina. Our hotel sent us to more upscale and expensive shops. We also shopped on Florida Street and thanks to other Trip Advisor reviews we also went here. I like this shop because it was much more reasonable than many of the other hight end stores. It was a real store - not a booth in a"mall". I had troble finding what I wanted, so they were able to custom make a different version of one of their jackets to meet my needs. They only required the most minimal of depostits and whenI went back to try it on and it fit! There was no need for multiple fittings. I have worn it at home a few times and keep getting compliments. If I am back in BA again, I will be back to Silvia y Mario for another coat or jacket!

Visited November 2011
4 Thank rachelleandglenn
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Best Leather Jacket Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

Ariela, was very, very helpful. And the jacket is so soft and top quality. They walked me through all the different options and I came out with a brilliant leather jacket.

Visited June 2011