“Great Ritz”

The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Marana
“Great Ritz”
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I stayed here with my wife on a 4 day golf vacation in April 2010. The hotel is very nicely designed and decorated to fit into the surrounding landscape. It doesn't look like a typical Ritz, and it shouldn't since it's located in the Arizona desert. Our room wasn't ready upon arrival but we were offered a room to use until ours was ready, and we were given free wireless access for our entire stay due to the inconvenience. We had club level access but rarely used it, who wants to sit in a club lounge on their holiday? The staff are exactly what you would expect at a Ritz, always friendly and helpful. The restaurant was very good, although we found the menu a little small. The golf course is the most difficult I have ever played, 7200 yards from the middle tees with insanely fast greens. It was fun but beat me up a lot more than I'm accustomed to as a 9 handicap.

The hotel location isn't terribly convenient to Tucson, but we had little reason to go into Tuscon and didn't mind the drive when we did. Tucson is not a terribly attractive city so we were quite happy to be outside it. The Spa is outstanding, we had massages and my wife had a facial she enjoyed. It has a nice private pool for spa guests only. We didn't use the hotel pool but the families who did looked to be enjoying themselves.

The scenery is beautiful with the cactus forests and mountain views. The hotel is nicely manicured and has many hiking trails in the surrounding area.

We wouldn't hesitate to go back to this hotel.

1 Thank cowtowntraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
San Diego, CA
Reviewed April 26, 2010

I agree with most of the positive things previous reviewers posted about this stellar property. But I found a major disconnect between this resort's superior facilities and its substandard service. ("Substandard" relative to what you'd expect from a Ritz.) Over three days, my wife and I encountered problems throughout the resort--from dining to housekeeping to the golf course. We ate in three of the restaurants (Core, Ignite and Cayton's), and while the food was fine, the servers were slow, bordering on inattentive. (The exception was Core's engaging, helpful manager.) Our gorgeous executive suite lacked soap and a wastebasket in one of the bathrooms, and was furnished with only one robe. And on one night, housekeeping knocked on our door after 9:30 pm to offer turn-down service. The resort's golf course, home of the Accenture Match Play Championship, is first-rate--except for the careless staff, who neglected to clean our clubs when tipped and gave us the wrong pin sheet one day. That all said, I see that other reviewers had terrific service; so perhaps our stay was the exception. And based on the great value of the golf package alone, I'd recommend this hotel.

4 Thank Mikxe
columbus, ohio
Reviewed April 12, 2010

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at the RCDM over the first weekend in April. Simply put, this an outstanding resort with service to match. We found the entire concierge and bell staff exceptional in their accomodation, cordiality, and efforts to do whatever they could to make our stay more pleasurable. Due to an early arrival into phx, we requested an early check-in (stated check-in time 4pm). When we arrived at about 12 noon, we were shown immediately to our room. Being able to get into our room early really made our first day more enjoyable. We chose a casita and were assigned a first floor room. The room was attractive and spacious, the bed comfortable, and the bathroom sparkling clean. I don't think that there is much advantage in terms of view between the first and second floors of the casitas. A minifridge was provided for us upon our request. Fry's supermarket is a few minutes from the resort. As mentioned in previous reviews, the resort is located in a spectacular setting at the base of the Tortollita mountains. There are miles of rugged well-marked hiking trails through the mountains where you will rarely encounter anyone else. After a brisk morning hike, we spent the rest of the day by the pool. A word of warning. If you have children and/or do not mind noisey children (been there, done that) then you will not mind the pools. The pool at the spa is for adults only and is an additional $25 pp/pd. It is worth it. The setting is absolutely serene where you can relax and read without interruption. The resort at night is special. There are firepits throughout the property including a large beautiful terrace where you can spend the evening listening to music or having a drink. We had a late dinner at the golf course restaurant, Caytons. The food was good, and like rest of the resort, there are fiepits and fireplaces scattered about, perfect for a relaxing drink or late night dessert. The other Tucson restaurants we tried were Harvest and Wildflower. Both are casual and have good food. On the evening of our anniversary we received a large plate of chocolate covered strawberries with compliments from the management. Nice touch and much appreciated. My only small criticism is the $20. parking fee (Why?) although we were charged this only once during our stay. We highly recommend the RCDM and look forward to our return.

3 Thank thomas01
Suburban Chicago IL
Reviewed April 4, 2010

Let me first say that this property is a gorgeous resort. The rooms are large, the beds are glorious and the amenities are what you would expect from a Ritz-Carlton. The resort, and it is a resort, is 20 minutes north of Tucson and about an hour and a half from Phoenix. It is tucked into the Sonoran Mountains and provides breathtaking views of the surrounding terrain including saguaro cactus, native flowers, and ancient Petraglyphs. There are three pools with plenty of lounging available and a waterslide that even the oldest of kids will enjoy.

My wife and I along with our two teenagers met up with our friends and their three teenagers this past week. We spent a lot of time sunning at the pool but we also went on hikes, played tennis and golf and went to Tucson for the day to visit the University of Arizona, the PIMA Air Museum and shopping at one of the local malls. Overall we had a great time together and we would go back.

Pros: Spectacular property in a scenic location. Breakfast buffet at on-site Core Restaurant is some of the best food we have ever eaten. It's a bit expensive but eat plenty and skip a big lunch. Hiking trails are on property and can provide challenges to novices and experts alike. Hiking is the best way to experience this area and you can do it yourself or go with a guide. We went ourselves and didn't get lost or exhausted. Trails are well-marked. Golf course is very challenging and can make for a long day for novices but thankfully Caytons Restaurant is onsite and has plent of libations to ease the pain. The food at Caytons is excellent and they were able to accomodate nine people with relative ease. Finally, the staff at this resort is amazing. Yes, I know they are supposed to be friendly and say hello but the folks that work at this hotel are genuinely nice people that made us feel welcome and glad to be there. Special thanks go out to Gabe, Ray, Carlos, Adam and Pedro who did a spectacular job of tending to everyone's food and drink needs. But even more important to us was that they also shared their stories and a few laughs with us. We felt they are definetely happy to be part of this resort. We were always welcomed invitingly by Jim and Brandon and the front desk folks were friendly and efficient. We stayed in a Casita room which was spacious and backed directly up to to the foothills. The view from the sliding door was impressive.

Cons: The resort opened December 18th 2009 and there are still a few bugs to work out. The resort is a bit out of the way from civilization. It's a 30-45 minutes drive away from the resort if you want to eat in Tucson although Dove Mountain Grill and Vero Amore restaurants are off property at the bottom of the hill. I can recommend both for good to great food. Our dinner at Ignite restaurant was a disaster. There was a lack of tables and seating to accomodate the number of guests in the hotel that wanted to eat dinner on property. That was very evident. The food choices at Ignite are limited and weren't very good. We are not that picky but I do expect food to be hot or at least not cold when it gets served. Burnt hamburgers and burnt buns didn't help their cause. Maybe it was due to the fact that by time we ordered we were told the kitchen was backed up another 45 minutes. We were also told that they were no reservations but the next night we noticed a table was reserved for a family of six. That's bad form.
The resort was at full capacity due to Spring Break but we were surprised at the number of kids under the age of seven. We didn't expect as many kids as there were but we were told that this Ritz-Carlton is trying to be different. At times it felt a bit like a Marriott rather than a Ritz-Carlton which is not a slight on Marriott. They know their customer. Make sure you get a package deal from the resort because as you might expect it is a bit pricey. One hour use of a tennis court, with four rental racquets and 25 dead and fuzzless tennis balls cost $68. That's a bit much. Add in the extraneous Valet Parking Tax of $12.50 a day, which our friends got waived but I did not, and you start to feel nickel and dimed.

Finally, despite the problems, which I am sure will get worked out eventually, we enjoyed our stay at this Ritz-Carlton and with proper planning you will too.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank RMarkT
Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed March 29, 2010

My husband and I traveled to Tucson from Atlanta with another couple for a long weekend at the Ritz Carlton Dove Mountain. We had an amazing trip. The property itself is gorgeous and laid out beautifully. We were able to upgrade to a casita and it was well worth it! Every evening near sunset we could sit on our patio and listen to(& watch) the Native American flutist. It was so peaceful. The rooms were well done, comfortable, and beautiful. The downside-you may never want to leave your room. That is until you step outside and take in the scenery. We hiked every morning. The trails go forever.

The fitness center, spa and pools were lovely as well. My spa services were first rate. Coral, at the desk was very helpful in scheduling before we arrived and once we actually got to the spa. My service provider-Gina was great. She was so nice. My legs and feet looked and felt great! If you have a spa service you can use the spa pool for the day. Otherwise you can pay $25 and enjoy the quite. The spa pool is very nice-cabanas, fire pits and the petroglyphs on the rocks right by the pool-Beautiful. Also, much more relaxing than the main pool. The biggest problem at the spa pool is very slow service and no water out by the pool. You have to go back in to the spa or order from a server. They have to get drinks (other than water) and food from the main club so it takes a long time. They may want to look into having a separate bar at that pool.

The main pool is beautiful as well. It has a separate kids pool away from the bar. Unfortunately, a lot of the parents had their kids at the main pool which was sometimes annoying-especially in the hot tub. Don't get me wrong-I have 7 & 3 year old boys. I love kids. But when I am away without them I want to relax. Not have a hot tub full of kids with milkshakes.

We ate on property and throughly enjoyed our meals. Breakfast was my favorite! Our last morning we had breakfast on our patio. It was heaven! I hope we will be back in the near future...

3 Thank Stephanie F
Louisiana
Reviewed March 22, 2010

If you are looking for the ultimate Sonoran experience, Dove Mountain is the place to go. About 40 minutes outside of Tucson, you arrive to a desert oasis tucked in the Tortolina mountains with nothing around you except the resort, mountains and saguaro cactuses. The resort is beautiful. It's a mix of contemporary and southwestern style and a view that is gorgeous. We were upgrades through American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts to a casita suite which was unbelievable. The casita is about 1100 square feet, with all the amenities. We had a living room with a 37" flat screen, a huge bedroom with a fireplace, a bathroom with a double headed shower, and a bathtub that was as deep as a swimming pool. However, our patio was what really made me in awe. We had a sliding door that led us out to a patio in the desert. I mean I stood outside and I am standing basically in the middle of the desert with saguaro cactuses and desert flowers all around me. And on top of that, we had a beautiful view of the mountains around Tucson. At dusk, The resort is amazing. The contemporary lobby opens up to a giant patio overlooking the Tortolina mountains and the giant saguaro cactuses (which ar lit up at night.) A giant fire pit with cushioned chairs circled around the fire, while close by there are a number of outdoor tables with views as well. There are three pools, however it is worth it to pay the 30 bucks to hang out at the spa pool. By the way, the spa is awesome; maybe it has to due with the best massage I have ever experienced. The food was amazing, and for the most part the staff was very kind and receiving. Hiking at the resort is amazing. All of the trails are very scenic and challenging. And if you don't feel like hiking and you need to work out, the gym is top notch. I am a golfer, so I had the chance to play the Dove Mountain course. I do have to say that it is not only one of the most manicured and scenic courses I have ever played, but it is one of the hardest courses I have every played. The fairways were pristine and the greens were smooth as silk and fast as lightning. I highly recommend it. The staff at the pro shop were as nice as they could be and very helpful. I would give this hotel 5 out of 5 stars. However, due to these problems I am giving the hotel 3.5 stars:

1. Our toilets did not work one night. Maintenance came to our room with a Roto Rooter representative at 10:00 at night. At 10:30, I asked the plumber if he had fixed it and if I could use my bathroom. He said I could use the bathroom, but not to flush the toilet. For $400 a night, my toilet should work. That is inexcusable.

2. One day housekeeping never came to our room to clean. One day they came to clean our room at 8:15 in the morning while I was sleeping. Some days they never did turn down service. And when turndown service came to our room, it was either at 6:30 in the evening when we were getting dressed, or at 10:00 at night while we were getting ready to go to bed.

3. Housekeeping never gave us more toileties (shampoo and soap). I had to call after 3 days to get them to give me toiletries.

4. Our hot water only lasted a few minutes. I would be taking a shower, and 5 minutes later the water turned cold.

Because this resort is brand new, I am going to give Dove Mountain another chance. But only because it was beautiful, and the staff at the hotel was very nice. Oh yeah, and the food is amazing.

7 Thank usopenman
greensboro, north carolina
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I just returned from a four night stay at the Dove Mountain resort. My husband and I had a wonderful experience. We stayed in an Executive Suite -- a large bedroom with a separate living area. We also had a second connecting bedroom.
Here are the pluses in my book:
1. Top notch Ritz level service. Everyone at this resort is unfailingly helpful and courteous. You will be spoiled by the responsiveness of the staff. No problem too big or too small. This alone is deserving of 5 stars.
2. The resort is new so everything is in great condition. It seemed as though no one had ever stayed in our room before!
3.I found the decor to be restrained Southwestern-influenced -- lots of earth tones and natural elements. I loved the outdoor/indoor aspect of the central area as you come off the reception area. it leads to a lovely outdoor patio space with fire pits and plenty of heaters. Great place for a casual meal or a drink. The pool area is large and elegant with an infinity pool. Another bar/area to get causal food there as well. All in all, elegantly appointed, but in an understated way.
4. Rooms were lovely as well. Also elegant but understated. Roomy. Quiet! (This is important to me -- our rooms overlooked the front of the building with the entry portico. Lots of resort traffic but I never heard a thing.) Think of a spa -- I think this is what the rooms/bathrooms are aiming for. Our bathrooms were spacious -- esp.the one in the executive suite -- bigger than my kitchen area at home! Beds were comfortable with plush linens. Large TVs abound. A deck off of each room with table and chairs.
5. The breakfast buffet was fabulous. We were there every morning at 6:30 since we were still on east coast time, so I cannot speak to how the food was several hours later (a previous poster complained about the buffet later in the morning...) Everything was fresh, well-presented, nice variety of the cooked items (there was always scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes in hot meal area, but there was also something different there every morning. The last morning we were there -- french toast. On a previous morning, it was a Southwestern egg dish.) Lots of fresh fruit and pastries as well as cheeses, meats, cereal, yogurt, etc. Pretty much everything you would want except grits .... well I am from the south!
6. We had dinner one night at Core. A very nice setting -- we had a table outside overlooking the mountains. The food was pretty good -- not the best we had in Tucson, but the service was impeccable. But I was blown away by the attentiveness of the staff from start to finish. Because of the attention to detail and the attitude of the staff, I would not hesitate to go back.
7. Interesting location -- out in the middle of nowhere to be sure, but then again, it is great because you are out in the middle of nowhere! I loved it. The nights were especially beautiful because you were outside of town -- very little light pollution.
8. For a fabulous sunset viewing, head for Coltons which is there on the property at the golf club. Best place for sunset cocktails.
Cons:

1. The price -- but you are staying at a Ritz, so in all honesty, hard to complain about this. But every little thing does cost. Just be aware of that. It is easy to run up pretty substantial charges for things.
2. I do agree with a previous poster that a real frig in the room would be nice.
3. The other people staying there -- the resort does cater to large corporate groups and for two nights we were overrun by a certain corporate group out on a retreat. These groups can be loud and somewhat oblivious to the fact that someone besides their group of people is staying at the resort. Don't think this is the hotel's fault. But again, they are courting these types of groups.
4. It is out of town. If you want to do alot in down town Tucson, you have a bit of a drive.

All in all, we loved our stay here. I felt that we received first class treatment all the way and that really mattered to us. (my husband travels alot on business so he is especially appreciative of a pampering hotel visit -- not what he usually gets on the road.) We would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank dickens2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marana
White Stallion Ranch
Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain? Share your experiences!