“Secluded Desert Location”

The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Marana
Reviewed August 16, 2014

This is one of my wife's favorite hotels. I love the breakfast buffet downstairs. Staff is always pleasant here. We always enjoy our stay. Hotel is quiet. Indian flutist is relaxing in the evenings. Bathrooms and room are furnished very nicely. Only complaint is dangerous wildlife and the spa is less than wonderful. Hard to believe it is rated highly.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 16, 2014

Great family resort - luxury feel without being fussy. Service on the whole was very friendly and accommodating. Rooms were comfortable, nice views, lots of kid friendly activities including morning hike, night scorpion walk, dive-in movie, great fast waterslide (even our 15 year old liked it), and on-site nature rangers (kids loved the animals). We enjoyed all the restaurants, topped off by an elegant dinner at Core with great food and service. Spa facilities were excellent as well. The whole family enjoyed a long weekend here -- kids voted it their favorite vacation hotel over the Four Seasons Scottsdale (probably because of the pool).

Reviewed August 12, 2014

We were absolutely amazed by both the property itself and the service here. The service was above and beyond anything I've experienced anywhere. I'm afraid we're going to be disappointed by any other hotel we go to now because very few hotels in the world could live up to the excellence of this resort. We definitely plan to return here as soon as possible and our weekend stay here was the best weekend trip we've ever done, due entirely to this beautiful resort and their awesome staff.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Went to this resort with hubby for a weekend getaway. Unfortunately with it being Monsoon season in this area, it rained both days we were there and really put a damper on the trip. Neither my husband or I golf so this was not the reason we chose this resort. That being said, there is really nothing much to do at this resort other than eat, drink (which is definitely pricey) and either lounge at the pool or go to the spa. They did have an event scheduled for the evenings we were there, stargazing 1 night, a kid's movie the next, but with the rain that didn't happen. There are 2 pools on the property, one set up for kids with fountains and a slide and another that I assume was set up for adults but mostly kids were in both pools. We chose the mountain/canyon view room and it was quite lovely inside - comfy bed and lovely bathroom. The view was so-so from the balcony, mountain straight ahead and to the right a view of the roof of an adjacent building and farther the parking lot. I must admit I wasn't that impressed. The majority of the staff are quite friendly and attentive. We did have 2 uncomfortable experiences at the Core restaurant which put a damper on the trip. Looking back, I had a choice of either choosing this resort or the JW Marriott and I kinda wish I had chosen the JW as I understand they have a lazy river pool and I think we would have enjoyed that kind of pool even with rain and/or clouds better. Highlight of the trip was the Indian flutist at 6 pm in the mountains across from the pool.

Room Tip: Go for the pool view and hope it's not too noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I can't say enough good things about this resort. This was hands-down the best family hotel experience we have ever had. But that doesn't mean the resort is just for families. I could see those traveling as couples or individuals having just as good a time. The service was unfailingly friendly and helpful. Rooms are comfortable, bathrooms are knockouts, and everything just works. As for the family experience, the "rangers" were delightful and informative, as was the ranger station. The kids zone was also a hit.

The resort embraces and celebrates its surroundings more than any place I've ever stayed. There may be hotels in Arizona with more beautiful settings (Enchantment in Sedona comes to mind), but I can't think of a Phoenix/Scottsdale resort that currently is as good as this one, despite that area's reputation for fine resorts. Just two months ago we stayed at Four Seasons Scottsdale and that resort doesn't even come close to this one. The food/beverage experience doesn't quite match the rest of the hotel but the breakfast buffet is excellent. We can't wait to go back.

1  Thank ncinaz
Liam D, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your meaningful and insightful review of your visit to The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain. Your synopsis embraces and validates the efforts of our Ladies and Gentlemen to deliver an experience for our guests that enlivens the senses and fulfills even the unexpressed wishes of our guests.

I am so proud and feel very fortunate to be a part of our team here at the hotel and I can't thank you enough for sharing your thoughts with me, as well as, our past and future guests. Your business is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Dove Mountain in the near future.

With kind regards,

Liam Doyle

Reviewed July 26, 2014

We usually stay at Four Seasons. We changed our reservation from the Scottsdale Four Seasons to the Ritz Dove Mountain due to golf. The Ritz had golf at their resort, the Four Seasons golf in Scottsdale was not on property. We were hopeful that the Ritz would be equivalent to the service we received at prior Four Seasons, and they did not disappoint! We would return. We booked the Canyon Suite(there is only one of these) it was fabulous for our family of 5. Two full baths is a must with 3 teenagers. This suite is spacious with 3 balconies, 2 full baths, a large dining room which we never thought we would use but wound up using 4 mornings for the boys to have breakfast before heading out to play golf. We also requested a rollaway bed.

Breakfast was delicious every morning. Eggs Benedict is to die for. Our daughter created a waffle creation that had the entire cooking staff and waitresses talking and asking why no one had ever came up with the creation. It was their breakfast waffle with Oreos, vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. She didn't leave anything on the plate!

Lunch at the pool restaurant was always delicious! We tried everything on the menu. Loved Jamie as our waitress!!

We tried every restaurant for dinner. Core was the best. We went there twice. Yes it's expensive, but it is good. They could probably have a few more choices to choose from.

Sydney in the gift shop gets our high award!! Our son was looking for stud earrings to bring back to his girlfriend and the gift shop did not have any. Sydney went one line and found a pair at a store in downtown Tucson. The store was unable to ship them. Sydney told us she would drive there on the way home and pick them up for us. How sweet was that?? The next day she had them in our room with an adorable note to our son hoping his girlfriend liked the earrings he choose for her. She loved them!

The service at this resort is fantastic. My only negative comment is I HATE CONVENTIONS! An obnoxious group showed up at the pool from Georgia. They were loud and did not respect that families were trying to enjoy a quiet vacation. The waiters began focusing their attention on this loud group who drank crappy Miller Lite. The Ritz should have one waiter assigned to a conference instead of all their help. The group was so rude that the Manager had to come over and tell them to stop playing their own music. I was so tired of their Strong Southern accent! It gave us all a headache. They should have been more considerate while at the pool. They took over ever lounge chair in the pool every day that they were there and they never moved. That is my only negative comment about this resort. I know they make a lot of money on conventions, but they should focus on pleasing the families and couples who are spending their own money for a nice vacation.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank J3CAL
Liam D, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing the details of your recent stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain and we are delighted you and your family had a most enjoyable visit. Our Canyon Suite is definitely one of my favorite suites in the hotel affording our guests a beautiful view, as well as, the spaciousness and comfortable amenities that our guests enjoy when traveling.

We are also pleased you enjoyed our dining venues and that Jamie and Sydney, in particular, were most helpful. Both ladies are exemplary associates always finding ways to fulfill the unexpressed wishes and needs of our guests. We are very fortunate to have them with us and thank you for recognizing them for their efforts.

Your business is very much appreciated and we do hope you will consider The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain in the future when your travel plans bring you to Tucson.

With kind regards,

Liam Doyle

Reviewed July 24, 2014

We had such a wonderful vacation at Dove Mountain. Everyone from the bell hops to the concierge to the groundskeepers were just so friendly and seemed honestly interested in making sure that we enjoyed our stay. We were upgraded to a casita upon check-in - what a treat! The casitas are towards the back of the resort and very private and lovely. We stayed there for the Fourth of July, and all day long they brought frozen berries and treats out to people poolside. My two boys loved the waterslide. The fireworks show was amazing - my two sons loved it. Everything looked clean and well-kept. The food was wonderful. We would definitely stay there again. (I would live there if I could!)

Room Tip: Make sure to see if they have summer packages available. They are worth it!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marana
White Stallion Ranch
White Stallion Ranch
#1 of 129 in Tucson
Holiday Inn Express Marana
JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain? Share your experiences!