“A desert gem”

The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Marana
“A desert gem”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This was our second stay at the Ritz Dove Mountain and we enjoyed it as much as the previous time. We had a King suite with a great view of the pool area and canyon. We enjoyed the food at both Caytons and Core. We come here to play the incredible Dove Mountain golf course but also enjoyed time at the Spa Pool (pay the $20 if you want a quiet adult-only pool at the spa), hiking and dining at some of the great restaurants Tucson has to offer. We prefer this area for the seclusion and aren't bothered by the 20 minute drive into Tucson. If you are looking for a shimmering white washed high-rise Ritz this isn't for you, but the hotel fits perfectly into the desert environment and is still 5 star all the way, especially the always attentive staff. The quiet area, dark nights and peaceful surroundings are what make this hotel, yet it is also a wonderful place for kids and we will be bringing ours along next time.

Room Tip: I wouldn't be too fussy about your view, it's hard to go wrong.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
florida
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Recently spent 4 nights at this 3 year old property. Although it is far away from anything else the location is beautiful ,the rooms are very nice and the fitness center is top notch. Had dinner outside at the core kitchen on the property . Very good food and service. The wine was a little pricey. Samantha at the front desk upon arrival was very kind and accommodating in getting us an upgraded room as their was a mix up as to when ours would be ready. The property has miles of great hiking trails. Al of the staff were very professional and could not have been nicer.
I

Room Tip: Get a room on the fifth floor overlooking the pool and the mountains
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We really like this place. We are a family of five and it offers something for everyone. The location is beautiful. The rooms are nice and have a rustic charm, but still a Ritz experience. The pool area is our favorite. It offers a great place to just sit by the pool and relax and enjoy the beauty of the desert. It has a huge water slide to keep the kids happy which makes the parents happy. The food is a little pricy, its a Ritz, I would recommend the pool menu and the breakfast buffet. Dinner is lacking. So, with that said, I would go off location. I can recommend the gym and the spa. Both very nice. The golf course is beautiful and well designed. Book early. The staff is warm and friendly. There is some turn over with the staff, which makes it hard to have great help. I'm a firm believer that this makes or breaks the Ritz experience. Its a great place to stay with some really great rates in the off season. Its a little piece of paradise in the desert. We will stay again.

Room Tip: Book the higher level rooms. This will offer the best views.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was my 6th time staying at this location and the first 5 times I couldn't find anything major to complain about. The staff was extremely helpful, the hotel has everything you could ever want, the spa rocked, it was great. This time however I had a few things happen I wanted to share! First of all their spa is always booked up days in advance which means they need more therapists because they have tons of empty rooms, they only book treatments every 30 mins and the waiting room never had more than one person in it.

Secondly ignite, the outdoor / indoor restaurant that serves lunch and dinner around the fire pits has amazing food! We were having lunch and our waitress was totally uninformed as to what they offered, she messed up the order 4 different times eventually bringing out a side that was suppose to come with the meal after the meal was done, messed up our order twice and kept forgetting to bring things like water and drink orders. Finally the meal is done and no one is happy with the service but regardless we enjoyed the meal. She brings out the bill and saids "man this bill is high, hope you don't have a heart attack" which totally devalues the meal, I already knew it was going to be pricy but I expect that. For her to say that was very unprofessional but I can over look all that. My bill for $390 for 5 people for lunch (each of us having two drinks) was high but still thats not cool. I'm a good tipper and understand that mistakes happen but this was over the top so I didn't leave a tip assuming the tip was included in the massive bill as it is included everyone else in the resort. I normally leave a higher tip that was is included but didn't feel the level of service was deserving of it.

Later that day we come down to Ignite for dinner and the same waitress comes up to us, we think "oh great we have the same crappy server" until she said "I'm not your server tonight but I wanted to let you know that we don't include tip in the bill here" then hands me my check and saids "I didn't processes this yet because you forgot to leave a tip" and hands me by old bill. Admittedly if I had known this was the case I would have left 10% but now she is being very rude to bring it up in such a way. If the manager had pulled me aside and asked if my experience with her was ok at lunch, I would have told him the issue and he would have explained the tip thing and I would have tipped her. Instead she basically demands I tip her for crappy service.

The following day after a very long and hot hike a friend and I walk into ignite at 10:30am and ask for water as we are very thirsty. A waitress standing behind the bar with another waitress tells me they aren't open yet, Im standing there sweating like crazy and am just asking for water! If they weren't allowed to serve water then they should have pointed me in the direction of a place to get it. Instead she tells me she will be right over with it, we sit down and at 11:15am she still hadn't come out with the water we asked for. She has been there the other times I've visited and she has always had an attitude problem.

Finally the male spa attendant is in his 60's, about 6'4" and is a close talker, even when your getting changed! He kept talking about nothing just inches from me as I was getting ready, it was very uncomfortable!

On to the great things about this resort, the rangers are extremely knowledgable, friendly and outgoing. They have a great ranger station where they have animals from the desert and things for kids to do. If your looking to go on a slow and informative hike go with Ranger Rick, if your looking for a workout go with Ranger Coz. We had Coz and he ROCKED, we did a 4 mile trail at sunset and if we didn't have two older couples with our group we could have really gotten a workout in but it was fun. While we were catching our breath Coz would use that time to tell us about what we were seeing then we would move on! Great times!

I did tell a manager about the big issue I had and he was extremely understanding, I hope they do something to fix it.

The spa treatments are great, I've never walked away unhappy with a treatment!

Core restaurant is for Breakfast and really nice dinners, their service is great in the mornings and their dinner service is a little off but nothing to note. Just some very minor issues that all restaurants have but none the less the servers were friendly, knowledgable and good at their jobs!

The bell desk, front desk, room and everything else was amazing as always. While I did write a lot about a problem it's a truly amazing place. They will fix the problems and I promise you will love it there!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the desert and not the driveway, it's great because every night they have a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank kjve9876
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This new Ritz Carlton is definitely worth a visit, especially if you are a hiker or a golfer. The experience begins positively as you pull up the the front entrance of the hotel, where you are greeted by a professional, polite and friendly bellman. You are promptly escorted to the front desk where similar treatment is continued. The western upscale lodge feeling was well thought out, very well designed and perfectly executed. The property appeared to have arisen from the landscape and is well integrated into this natural desert wonderland. The pool areas are both beautiful and relaxing and the pool staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. If you enjoy (as I do) a lounge chair situated in shallow water to lie about and keep cool you will like the Ritz. The rooms are a good size and appealing in design. The beds allow you to drift off to a great nights sleep without a hitch and awake to wonderful views. The food at the restaurants was very good and there were many opportunities for eating outdoors. The hotel has its own hiking trails that were challenging and fun. The property is somewhat remote but there really is no reason to leave tis wonderful resort. Go and enjoy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
US
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at Ritz Carlton Dove Mountain. The location is unique but quite isolated. We did not golf but did learn from friends/colleagues that the golfing is great here. We had a lovely room overlooking the resort and desert. Everyone was quite helpful and attentive. Could not give it a five star rating as a Ritz but a nice 4star experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed for one week, two adults and two young kids in a suite and my in-laws in a connecting room. The room are very nice, Ritz style. Check-in, getting settled in was uneventful, which was nice. The pool area is beautiful although some grounds could be maintained better (e.g., the fountain area). One issue here (not directly related to the hotel) is that folks come down at 9am, put towels on long chairs, then disappear until 4PM. This means that some days, finding place to sit was difficult; and the hotel was far from being full.
My issue was service on two fronts: dining and front desk/concierge. On the dining front, on four occasions, they comped us the whole meal for the four of us because they took so long to get anything done. This happened by the pool (BBQ day), at the bar and at the pool bar. They realized themselves as I didn’t make any demand or complaint. The worst was outside by the bar when we got our drinks and my wife dared ask for a glass for her a beer and we got a “that’s gonna be a while”, or when still at the same place, I had to send my son to the kids buffet to get some ketchup because my request took such a long time. On the concierge front, when I asked the difference between two breakfast buffets happening at the same time, I was told there was only one. When I pointed out the two, the same person tells me they must be the same then. All that with a straight face looking at me in the eyes. Same happened with Sushi. I am told the sushi bar is only 3 days a week and not on Mon-Tue. When I go down (on a tue), the sushi bar is open.
While I would expect this level of service from a Marriott/Hyatt/Sheraton/etc resort, I don’t from a Ritz. This compelled us to look at dining options outside the property since eating there was such an ordeal. Of course I must mention the exception. A small percentage of the staff there went above and beyond to try to make our stay.

Room Tip: Personally, I would choose a mountain facing room against a resort-facing room. So beautiful and qui...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Frederic V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marana
White Stallion Ranch
JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain? Share your experiences!