“Great property exceptional service”

The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Marana
florida
“Great property exceptional service”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Recently spent 4 nights at this 3 year old property. Although it is far away from anything else the location is beautiful ,the rooms are very nice and the fitness center is top notch. Had dinner outside at the core kitchen on the property . Very good food and service. The wine was a little pricey. Samantha at the front desk upon arrival was very kind and accommodating in getting us an upgraded room as their was a mix up as to when ours would be ready. The property has miles of great hiking trails. Al of the staff were very professional and could not have been nicer.
I

Room Tip: Get a room on the fifth floor overlooking the pool and the mountains
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We really like this place. We are a family of five and it offers something for everyone. The location is beautiful. The rooms are nice and have a rustic charm, but still a Ritz experience. The pool area is our favorite. It offers a great place to just sit by the pool and relax and enjoy the beauty of the desert. It has a huge water slide to keep the kids happy which makes the parents happy. The food is a little pricy, its a Ritz, I would recommend the pool menu and the breakfast buffet. Dinner is lacking. So, with that said, I would go off location. I can recommend the gym and the spa. Both very nice. The golf course is beautiful and well designed. Book early. The staff is warm and friendly. There is some turn over with the staff, which makes it hard to have great help. I'm a firm believer that this makes or breaks the Ritz experience. Its a great place to stay with some really great rates in the off season. Its a little piece of paradise in the desert. We will stay again.

Room Tip: Book the higher level rooms. This will offer the best views.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was my 6th time staying at this location and the first 5 times I couldn't find anything major to complain about. The staff was extremely helpful, the hotel has everything you could ever want, the spa rocked, it was great. This time however I had a few things happen I wanted to share! First of all their spa is always booked up days in advance which means they need more therapists because they have tons of empty rooms, they only book treatments every 30 mins and the waiting room never had more than one person in it.

Secondly ignite, the outdoor / indoor restaurant that serves lunch and dinner around the fire pits has amazing food! We were having lunch and our waitress was totally uninformed as to what they offered, she messed up the order 4 different times eventually bringing out a side that was suppose to come with the meal after the meal was done, messed up our order twice and kept forgetting to bring things like water and drink orders. Finally the meal is done and no one is happy with the service but regardless we enjoyed the meal. She brings out the bill and saids "man this bill is high, hope you don't have a heart attack" which totally devalues the meal, I already knew it was going to be pricy but I expect that. For her to say that was very unprofessional but I can over look all that. My bill for $390 for 5 people for lunch (each of us having two drinks) was high but still thats not cool. I'm a good tipper and understand that mistakes happen but this was over the top so I didn't leave a tip assuming the tip was included in the massive bill as it is included everyone else in the resort. I normally leave a higher tip that was is included but didn't feel the level of service was deserving of it.

Later that day we come down to Ignite for dinner and the same waitress comes up to us, we think "oh great we have the same crappy server" until she said "I'm not your server tonight but I wanted to let you know that we don't include tip in the bill here" then hands me my check and saids "I didn't processes this yet because you forgot to leave a tip" and hands me by old bill. Admittedly if I had known this was the case I would have left 10% but now she is being very rude to bring it up in such a way. If the manager had pulled me aside and asked if my experience with her was ok at lunch, I would have told him the issue and he would have explained the tip thing and I would have tipped her. Instead she basically demands I tip her for crappy service.

The following day after a very long and hot hike a friend and I walk into ignite at 10:30am and ask for water as we are very thirsty. A waitress standing behind the bar with another waitress tells me they aren't open yet, Im standing there sweating like crazy and am just asking for water! If they weren't allowed to serve water then they should have pointed me in the direction of a place to get it. Instead she tells me she will be right over with it, we sit down and at 11:15am she still hadn't come out with the water we asked for. She has been there the other times I've visited and she has always had an attitude problem.

Finally the male spa attendant is in his 60's, about 6'4" and is a close talker, even when your getting changed! He kept talking about nothing just inches from me as I was getting ready, it was very uncomfortable!

On to the great things about this resort, the rangers are extremely knowledgable, friendly and outgoing. They have a great ranger station where they have animals from the desert and things for kids to do. If your looking to go on a slow and informative hike go with Ranger Rick, if your looking for a workout go with Ranger Coz. We had Coz and he ROCKED, we did a 4 mile trail at sunset and if we didn't have two older couples with our group we could have really gotten a workout in but it was fun. While we were catching our breath Coz would use that time to tell us about what we were seeing then we would move on! Great times!

I did tell a manager about the big issue I had and he was extremely understanding, I hope they do something to fix it.

The spa treatments are great, I've never walked away unhappy with a treatment!

Core restaurant is for Breakfast and really nice dinners, their service is great in the mornings and their dinner service is a little off but nothing to note. Just some very minor issues that all restaurants have but none the less the servers were friendly, knowledgable and good at their jobs!

The bell desk, front desk, room and everything else was amazing as always. While I did write a lot about a problem it's a truly amazing place. They will fix the problems and I promise you will love it there!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the desert and not the driveway, it's great because every night they have a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank kjve9876
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This new Ritz Carlton is definitely worth a visit, especially if you are a hiker or a golfer. The experience begins positively as you pull up the the front entrance of the hotel, where you are greeted by a professional, polite and friendly bellman. You are promptly escorted to the front desk where similar treatment is continued. The western upscale lodge feeling was well thought out, very well designed and perfectly executed. The property appeared to have arisen from the landscape and is well integrated into this natural desert wonderland. The pool areas are both beautiful and relaxing and the pool staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. If you enjoy (as I do) a lounge chair situated in shallow water to lie about and keep cool you will like the Ritz. The rooms are a good size and appealing in design. The beds allow you to drift off to a great nights sleep without a hitch and awake to wonderful views. The food at the restaurants was very good and there were many opportunities for eating outdoors. The hotel has its own hiking trails that were challenging and fun. The property is somewhat remote but there really is no reason to leave tis wonderful resort. Go and enjoy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
US
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at Ritz Carlton Dove Mountain. The location is unique but quite isolated. We did not golf but did learn from friends/colleagues that the golfing is great here. We had a lovely room overlooking the resort and desert. Everyone was quite helpful and attentive. Could not give it a five star rating as a Ritz but a nice 4star experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed for one week, two adults and two young kids in a suite and my in-laws in a connecting room. The room are very nice, Ritz style. Check-in, getting settled in was uneventful, which was nice. The pool area is beautiful although some grounds could be maintained better (e.g., the fountain area). One issue here (not directly related to the hotel) is that folks come down at 9am, put towels on long chairs, then disappear until 4PM. This means that some days, finding place to sit was difficult; and the hotel was far from being full.
My issue was service on two fronts: dining and front desk/concierge. On the dining front, on four occasions, they comped us the whole meal for the four of us because they took so long to get anything done. This happened by the pool (BBQ day), at the bar and at the pool bar. They realized themselves as I didn’t make any demand or complaint. The worst was outside by the bar when we got our drinks and my wife dared ask for a glass for her a beer and we got a “that’s gonna be a while”, or when still at the same place, I had to send my son to the kids buffet to get some ketchup because my request took such a long time. On the concierge front, when I asked the difference between two breakfast buffets happening at the same time, I was told there was only one. When I pointed out the two, the same person tells me they must be the same then. All that with a straight face looking at me in the eyes. Same happened with Sushi. I am told the sushi bar is only 3 days a week and not on Mon-Tue. When I go down (on a tue), the sushi bar is open.
While I would expect this level of service from a Marriott/Hyatt/Sheraton/etc resort, I don’t from a Ritz. This compelled us to look at dining options outside the property since eating there was such an ordeal. Of course I must mention the exception. A small percentage of the staff there went above and beyond to try to make our stay.

Room Tip: Personally, I would choose a mountain facing room against a resort-facing room. So beautiful and qui...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Frederic V
New Jersey
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This is part of Ritz Carlton's relatively new approach of high end resorts that blend isolation, nature and luxury. This property was built from scratch in the middle of the desert nestled in a canyon between two large mountains. It is expected to be surrounded by very upscale homes to form the Dove Mountain community; but that is still quite far away. In the meantime, this is the southwest at its finest and is a completely unique experience. Do not come here if you are looking for a major city, shopping, and nightlife activities. But do come here if you are looking to just relax.

The hotel location is spectacular, sitting on a high bluff overlooking the far desert (high altitude of 3.000 ft), and enjoying the shadows of the surrounding mountains. The main building works well with the surrounding area and had to be designed around several cacti that cold not be moved (they are protected species). We stayed in a casita which was truly special sand spacious. It was perched on a plateau over the state park hiking trails.

What to love;
*GOLF!!!! Wow what a course!!! 3 nine hall courses that are incredibly challenging and visually stunning. Dove Mountain is the home of the World Golf Championships-Accenture Match Play Championship. Each February, the top 64 players in the world compete on the Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course. Tiger Woods was here (he lost in the first round--so there is always a chance to do better than him on any given hole). The Staff is excellent and very accommodating. Price not outrageous. Tee times aplenty.
*Hiking--anything from very mild to advanced, from 1 mile to unlimited, from flat to high mountains---its all here. There are also guided hikes. This is unique and for all levels. A real southwest experience. Not to be missed. The Jeep tour is also worth it.
*Spa/Fitness--excellent service , very good machines, a variety of classes, and very clean. Don't miss the spa pool.
*Food--excellent breakfast and generally quite good. More than fair price points.
*Environment--the hotel is extremely environmentally and health conscious. The food was very fresh, particularly difficult in such an isolated location. Menu is prepared with emphasis on well balanced nutrition. The Indian playing the flute towards the mountains every evening was a wonderful added touch and very serene.
*Pool slide--cool for both kids and adults.

What not to love;
*Tennis-- they built the 4 courts and that is it! They were forgotten. They are not maintained (the desert is overtaking them), the dust, the dirt, no shade, no resident pro. We could go on and on. It's a real miss.
*Casitas-- access to main building can be difficult. The bell boys are supposed to pick you up in a cart upon calling, but they were usually busy doing something else. One night it rained and was cold. The hotel did not have a covered cart and we were compelled to endure a nearly harrowing drive in an open vehicle with rain pelting us and high winds blowing. Be prepared to walk a lot and if in the winter have appropriate rain and storm gear at the ready.
*Variety of restaurants--the fine dining restaurant had a limited menu and there are no adequate choices anywhere off property.
*Pool Staff--there are none. If you want a drink there are many waiters and they will hound you for a drink even if you are sleeping by the pool. To get a towel, you need to get your own. There is no one to prepare the chairs or to clean up when people have left.
*Young Staff--this is problem for most resorts but at the higher end of the spectrum one expects more experienced personnel who know how to handle customer service and to anticipate customer needs. Its can get either monotonous or comical to speak so slowly to the staff (as if to children) so that they could understand certain requests.

We would rate this a 4.5 star resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank travelingmom526
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marana
White Stallion Ranch
Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain? Share your experiences!