“Nothing Beats the Ritz!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Marana
Reviewed January 3, 2013

As always the Ritz cant be beat! The service is just always one step above anywhere else. We stayed in a King Room with roll aways for the kids. We arrived late on a Saturday night after a 5 hour drive from the Grand Canyon. The bellman was very nice and couldn't be more helpful. Rollaways were brought up immediately to our room so everyone could get to bed. The breakfast buffet at Core was pretty varied, although not as big as other Ritzs. My only gripe - No cheesy grits on the buffet!! Its a signature dish folks - just bring out the pot!!! Thankfully the house smoked gravlax was there our there would have been a mutiny!
All the staff (not just the concierge) was very helpful in helping decide what to do in the area each day. Ranger Ron and the folks in the kids club were wonderful - friendly, knowledgeable, and great at helping us pick out what to do. Ranger Ron's collection of dessert friends was also a big hit with my boys - scorpions, tarantulas, snakes, lizards - a boys dream!!! Fire pits were lite every night without having to ask.
One other small issue - New Years Eve we ate dinner in the Lobby restraraunt - Ignite - the bill added up very quickly, service was not great, and the portions on the appertizers and adult entrees were very small. My kids' steaks were great off the kids menu. Dessert Sundae was lame.
On our checkout day our flight was at midnight (red eye back to the east coast.) Thanks to Angela at the front desk for letting have super duper late checkout - it made my day!!!

Room Tip: Our room was perfect - overlooking the back of the property - just above the tortoise enclosure. Ve...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,439)

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The Ritz at Dove Mountain provided the perfect base from which to enjoy to absolute splendor of the surrounding Sonoran desert, due to the setting of the hotel, the terrific pool and the talented staff. Regarding the setting, we chose a casita, rather than a room in the main hotel, and our balcony opened onto the mountain canyon so we had no manmade structures to obstruct our wonderful views of Giant Saguaro cacti and other beatiful desert flora. The birdlife was abundant (we saw quail, a very large raptor that might have been a golden eagle, dozens of flickers and woodpeckers, several hummngbirds, a road runner and a flock of quail). We also saw javalina. Our kids, ages 7 and 5, would list the pool as their favorite attraction, especially the giant waterslide. Although the air temp was a chilly 55 one day, the pool was heated to 85 degrees and the kids spent hours in it even on the chilliest day of our stay. Finally, but not least, the staff was superb. From the valet to the front desk to the concierge, staff were helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. Our kids also loved the Rangers' kids program, and its engaging director, Dawn. The complimentary nature walk lead by one of the staff rangers was interesting for both the parents and the kids, and well worth doing. The only negative comment I have about the resort is the uneven quality of the food. For lunch, Cayton's at the golf club was terrific and well worth the short hotel shuttle ride. Turquesa at the pool also had decent food and terrific service. However, we were not impressed by Core for breakfast and Ignite for anything. The food was average at best and the prices were quite high (and we used to live in NYC so are not strangers to pricey restaurants). So, we found a couple of local restaurants off property and enjoyed the chance to see a bit of the surrounding area. Nonetheless, while we normally rate food high among the experience, the positive attributes of the Dove Mountain Ritz compel me to rate it five stars and we look forward to a repeat visit (which is also rare for us since we enjoy traveling to new destinations).

Room Tip: The casitas are worth the additional cost as the location is perfect and the room is very large.
1  Thank CMK43
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We just left our four night stay at Dove Mountain. We had a great time. The location is beautiful with great hiking right outside the door. We really enjoyed that. The pools are also very nice, although the weather was a bit colder than we expected. The sunsets in this area were exceptional.

We ate breakfast at the hotel every night and had dinner there on New Years. We thought the food was very good. The breakfast buffet was a good value and I particularly liked that they will still cook you hot food to order.

The service was excellent. Everyone was friendly and helpful. We had a few special requests and they responded quickly and effectively.

The golf was also great and the clubhouse is amazing.

My only suggestion is that the housekeeping in the room could have been slightly better.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Let me start by telling you that I have been here for 6 days and have another 3 to go. My wife and I are here with our three boys aged, 10, 8 and 1 and our nanny. We are from New York City and have lived in Europe, Asia and North America. I rarely commit my views to a review like this because it normally gets diluted by all the other reviews, but I feel compelled to write this. I booked this vacation instead of Florida or the Caribbean where we would normally go in the winter because we wanted something a little different. I was a skeptic but willing to give it a shot.

Bottom line this place is amazing and here is why.

1) The Staff
As beautiful as any hotel is, without staff the make you feel special, the experience can be lousy. This hotel takes service to a level that I have never experienced anywhere, let alone in the US. Everyone and I mean everyone could not be more gracious, hospitable and kind with me, my wife, our kids or our nanny. From the minute you step foot on the property, the front desk, the concierge, the restaurant staff, the kids club, the doorman, housekeeping (you get the picture) will do whatever it takes to make you happy and more. The seem to leave their problems at home and take care of you like I have never experienced. I know most of the staff at the Ritz Carlton Dove Mountain will read this. Whatever, you are doing keep it up- it works and your guests can see it!

I would like to highlight, Dawn at the Kids Club. Michelle at the Concierge Ranger Rick, Chef Press and Nick the mixologist at Caytons. Nick is a budding Heston Blumenthal of mixologists.

2) The Property

The setting of this hotel is almost almost surreal in the middle of the Sonoran desert only 90 minutes from Phoenix Airport. The hotel is new and beautifully appointed with multiple restaurants. The pools are wonderful with 3 distinct areas including a water slide which my kids have probably gone down 100 times.

3) The adventure

You really never need to leave this property but here is what you can do.

Mountain biking (bikes, helmets provided by the hotel)
Hiking with hiking guides (from the hotel)
Horse Riding at Crazy Heart Ranch. PS the horses and staff their are super professional and my kids may have just found their new passion.
Hot Air Ballooning
Old Tucson, a Western Movie Studio with lots for the kids
Desert Jeep Tours
And much much more.

In conclusion. What makes this places special is the property, the geography and the seemingly endless amounts of fun you can have here. What makes this place amazing are its staff!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 29, 2012

This was our first trip to the Ritz at Dove Mountain and I can say it will certainly not be our last. From the moment we arrived I could see this was a special place...the property is stunning, set in a beautifully quite mountainside surrounded by massive Saguaro Cactus. The grounds were stunning and immaculate, the whole resort was extremely clean and well maintained. The finishes could not have been more soothing and elegant at the same time. The true beauty of The Ritz at Dove Mountain however was the staff. They went out of there way to accommodate us at every turn. The TURQUESA staff was amazing did everything to make sure our experience was perfect, it was! All of the staff from Andrew the wonderful concierge to our waiters in the restaurants were really a step above! I have traveled extensively and have stayed in Ritz's and Four Seasons as well as other 5 star properties, but Dove Mountain exceeded my expectations...not an easy task.
The pool was exquisite, both of them, and my four year old was able to swim and play without me moving from my fantastic lounge chair. We traveled with our two daughters, 7 and 4, our 4 year old celebrated her birthday here and it was very special, they made an amazing cake for her and again went out of there way to make the occasion special. There were so many activities for them to do throughout of stay, gingerbread teepee decorating, cookie decorating, movie nights, great kids menu, the girls had a blast. The Ranger program for children is incredible and next year both of the girls will be able to participate.
The spa was absolutely wonderful, a soothing retreat with all the bells and whistles! Would return just for the spa alone.
I thought that the restaurants were good, CORE was visually gorgeous, we dined here for breakfast every morning and we LOVED it! Again, the staff was extremely responsive and attentive. Ignite was very nice as well, and offered very good sushi during our stay.
All in all we had an incredible time, and we will be returning as soon as possible!

Room Tip: The premier suite was fabulous, lots of room with a stunning view.
1  Thank LexingtonRose
Reviewed December 25, 2012

I was disappointed in the signature restaurant CORE. My review of that is posted elsewhere. Otherwise I liked Dove Mtn. The resort staff (other than the chef) seemed very well-trained and very accommodating. The gracious tone is set at the very beginning by the porters who greet you and the friendly check-in staff. The grounds are starkly beautiful and relaxing. The rooms were warm and spacious. The spa was exactly what we were looking for and even accommodated some in our party last minute.
Again, I am just really disappointed that at these prices ($40 entrees and $100 bottles of Chardonnay) that the chef could not accommodate one vegan member of our party. We dropped a bundle at that restaurant. How hard is it to grill up some mushrooms and broccolini in olive oil?

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We loved our first visit to this Ritz-Carlton. The staff far exceeded guest expectations. Staff offered to send up a bowl of chicken noodle soup to the room of a sick family member. There are many things for all ages to do. Ranger Rick, who is very knowledgeable about the wildlife and desert, even got our little granddaughter to pet various local snakes he showed her. The huge spa and salon is spectacular. It is a peaceful, serene, drop dead gorgeous property. We will return.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marana
White Stallion Ranch
Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
10 mi away
El Conquistador Tucson, a Hilton Resort
Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain? Share your experiences!