“Outstanding Service, Peaceful Setting”

The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Marana
Reviewed June 14, 2012

From the moment we arrived at this resort to the time we left, we felt that we were really catered to by all the staff. Granted, we were there in the off season and the occupancy rate was low but still it felt like a special experience. Our room was nicely appointed with a very large bathroom. I particularly liked coming back each night to find that chocolates were left on our beds with soothing music coming from the TV (which of course was turned to a Ritz Carlton promotion, but at least it was easy to listen to). The setting in the mountains was great, beautiful, peaceful views with the Saguaro cactus and the nightly sunset tunes of the flutist. We also really enjoyed the guitarist who was playing late one night on the patio. We spent our mornings golfing the rotation that the pros play in the Match Play tournament. Course was pretty difficult but very enjoyable to play. One afternoon we also played the Wild Burro course and it was fun too. The vistas were just spectacular and it was truly a test of desert golf. We usually got a quick breakfast at the coffee shop downstairs and I loved the oatmeal with a variety of fruits to add. We also did the big breakfast buffet one morning as well and it was quite good as well. We had two lunches at Cayton's at the Golf Club and we all enjoyed the salads, quesadillas and sandwiches that we had. Dinner was pretty good as well at the Core Kitchen. You are certainly a captive audience when you are here as it is just too much of a pain to drive to Tucson but we all enjoyed staying at the resort and sampling many of the amenities. We spent an afternoon at the pool as well and the service was truly outstanding. Our water glasses never went empty and just lounging in the pool enjoying the views was great. I would return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Luv2g0lf

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Impeccable and tranquil. This resort lives up to spoiling the guests. This was our 2nd stay here and won't be the last. The resort and grounds are always spotless and staff friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a shopping Mecca then this is not the place for you as shopping is about a 20 minute car ride away. The resort has 5 venues for dining options and all have good food and great service. The absolute BEST service is at "Cayton's which is at the golf course. Ask for "Paul" as your server and you will be treated like royalty. He is also the wine steward for the restaurant so if you have questions, he's your man. The spa at Ritz is one of the best anywhere. Period. The resort has 3 nine hole Jack Nicklaus golf courses. This is where the PGA plays the Accenture tournament. Are the courses a challenge? You bet. Target fairway golf but still a lot of fun to be out anyway. Don't believe any websites with prices for the course. The resort guests get a great break on the greens fees. I played two of the courses for under $140 total. My wife and I travel extensively and the best compliment that I can give this resort is that we will be back again and again. Great place!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a good view of something. All you need to decide is if you want a pool/terrace vi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve G
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My family absolutely loves this place! We live in Tucson so it is only a 30 minute drive up to the resort and we go whenever we can. I have never had a bad experience there and never expect to. Everyone is always kind, helpful and friendly.

We booked just one night this past weekend in an executive suite. It was quite lovely, but then again, to me, even the most basic room there is beautiful and very comfortable. Check in is 4pm, but we arrived at the hotel at 11am since we rented a cabana for the day. The room wasn't immediately available, which I didn't expect due to the hotel being at full capacity all weekend, but the room was made available to us around noon. They were nice enough to bring a jar of fresh-baked cookies and the little children's robes to the room while we were lounging by the pool.

The cabana rental, at $150 for the whole day, is always a smart choice during the summer as it gets extremely hot and it can get pretty crowded at the pool. The rental comes with two drinks/coctails, a basket of snacks, a fruit platter, bottled water, lemonade, a tv, ceiling fan and service all day. Unfortunately, the power was out in our cabana so it was kind of stifling, but Nick was very apologetic and accomodating. We didn't miss the tv anyway as my girls must've ridden the slide a thousand times. They also had various games set up around the pool and it was a really fun and relaxing atmosphere. The food at Turquesa was fantastic. The Angus burger with jalapeno aioli, whoa mama!

My girls and I always eat at Ignite for dinner and listen to the flautist around sunset. The music is peaceful and the atmosphere is serene. It was a little too hot to sit around the firepits, but we did roast S'mores after dinner on the lawn.

Our room rate came with a $100 resort credit and we treated ourselves to a nice breakfast before checkout. The service was quick and the food was delicious. We had a room on the side of the resort facing the Tortolitas and spa so we were able to relax on the balcony and eat without being baked in the sun.

I am happy that we stayed while the hotel was completely full as it is usually relatively empty when we go and I wondered if the service would be consistent. I can honestly say that I never would've guessed it were at full capacity if I didn't see there were no more rooms available online. The service was even better than I remember and they have a special way of making you feel like you're the only guest there. There is no pretentiousness and they are really kind to my girls.This is really a nice place for the entire family and there is something for everyone. The Accenture Match Play is held here for all of you golf fanatics. In the past, we've utilized the spa, additional restaurants and the Ritz Kids program, but didn't have time this stay do to being there just one night, however, I recommend all of them. Hiking up the mountain and looking down at the resort feels like a little slice of heaven on earth. This place is beautiful and it fits in perfectly with its natural surroundings.

Just a tip for all you military members out there, the military rate is fantastic all year. You simply can't beat it. I use it for longer stays as it can obviously get really costly to stay with a family. I didn't use it this last time as we wanted to stay in the suite, and the general summer rates are fantastic for EVERYONE.

Room Tip: Executive suites are beautiful and provide a lot of extra space for a family.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank YNOL
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Upon our arrival, we walked from the self-park lot with our luggage. I noted the valet golf cart pass us a few times, and a valet person revving the engine of the car they were parking. By the time we arrived to the front entrance, no one opened the doors or greeted us. Curious... However, I was quickly appeased by our standard room with a mountain view - a fabulous bathroom with a deep tub and separate shower.

We checked into the spa and I was blown away. The nicest spa area I've seen. The sauna and steam room are accessed from outdoors with natural light streaming through and a small jacuzzi and fireplace. The additional spa pool is a lovely secluded area with day beds and comfortable chaises. There is a large jacuzzi as well with poolside service. The poolside dining service was slow and not always accurate (20 minutes for drinks), but given the happy surroundings I was not perturbed. The spa treatments were great and the treatment rooms were very nice. Both of the sunscreen jars in the spa changing room were empty both days we attended. I would have expected it to have been refilled from one day to the next.

For families, the child pool is a joy. The water slide is long and fast (it opened 15 minutes past the promised 10:00), there is a small splash zone, and plenty of noodles and pool toys to go around. Ping pong table, badminton, etc. can also be found nearby. Lots of chilled water with fruit in all public areas to keep everyone hydrated.

The food was excellent throughout the resort. There was nothing that was not delicious. We had dinner reservations at Core. We were disappointed that despite our mention of a milestone birthday for someone in our party and a note made at the time of our reservation, no celebration, acknowledgment/note, or anything was made during our stay or dinner. The breakfast buffet had lots of yummy options, some traditional, some local (chilaquiles etc.) and some very healthy (all the toppings for yogurt or granola such as chia seed etc.).

I am fairly self-sufficient, though I was surprised by the level of service. Another example: we requested additional towels in our room, and they arrived...3 hours later. There were bright spots here and there - the morning brunch waitstaff and Adrianna and other spa personnel. If I had to name it, I'd say that I didn't feel welcome overall. Perhaps they were understaffed, but most of the personnel didn't seem to be welcoming or enthusiastic. Despite this, I plan to return during the summer - great rates, beautiful property and accommodations make this a nice option for a quick staycation for locals who are tired of the same resorts in main Tucson.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank SunnyInCleveland
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We live in Ahwatukee (south Phoenix, AZ) and decided to get away for a short weekend trip. I had just celebrated my birthday, so my dear husband decided to extend the festivities at the Ritz-Carlton in Marana, AZ. It is about an hour's drive from our home, so very convenient. It is just north of Tucson off of I-10.

We checked the website for specials since this time of year is off-season in Arizona. We purchased the "Summer Fun" package for $229 which includes at $100 hotel credit and is an excellent value for a 5 star resort.

I can't say enough about the resort. Everything was superb. Every person who greeted me wished me a Happy Birthday. Self-parking is complimentary; valet parking is $20. Check in was smooth and easy.

They upgraded our room (due to Marriott points status) so that we had a view of the mountain (northeast side). The beds and bedding were extremely luxurious and comfortable. The bathroom was amazing, too, well-appointed with towels, luxury robes and toiletries. The room was very quiet at night, also.

The entire resort is breathtaking. We spent much of our time lounging by the pool. Service was excellent--waiters offering ice water and flavored ices all during the day. The food was very good poolside. There were plenty of lounge chairs, towels and umbrellas. The resort has three pools. An upper pool with a large spa to one side, a lower pool for families with children (large slide and waterfalls) and a private pool at the spa.

We had dinner at Core--service was superb. They brought us a selection of warmed breads with butter flavored with chipotle and poblano pepper along with a confiture of pork and toast points. The latter was complimentary from the chef. We had Pan-Seared Quail with Chilled Quinoa Salad/Fresh Figs to start. Our entrees were Chili-Lacquered New York Strip with Corn-Nopales Salsa/Avocado Fries/Poblano Coulis and Roasted Maryland Rockfish with Mushroom Fricassé/Fava Beans/Capers & Black Olives. Both entrees were prepared to perfection. The fish was very fresh.

This resort would be great for couples of all ages or families with children of all ages. They have a ranger program and they offer educational programs for kids and adults as well as ranger-guided hikes.

Yes, the food is expensive and there is nowhere else to eat except at the resort, but it's all very excellent and worth the special treat!

I the late afternoon, the Ritz had a Native American musician who played a pipe...a very relaxing and ethereal experience. We were sitting on our balcony and we did not know where the musician was, but the music wafted over the entire landscape. Later in the evening, they had a cowboy guitar player. He sang for about 3-4 hours--all sorts of Western type music. People were having wine, beer and food from Ignite (their casual bar/dining restaurant) and sitting around on couches and tables/chairs listening. The resort lights these huge cauldrons all over the property so you have this amazing visual experience at night.

CAUTION: For anyone not familiar with the Arizona desert in the summertime--if you hike, go early in the morning and bring plenty of water (one liter per hour per person during a hike). If you are sitting at the pool, be sure you drink plenty of water and push it on your kids. You can get very dehydrated without knowing it. Also, if you are drinking alcohol during the day, my rule of thumb is 8-12 oz of water per glass of wine/beer/cocktail.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view in a quiet spot (northeast side is protected from the sun).
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank speech529
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I have stayed at several Ritz Carlton Hotels but this was the best. From the time we drove down the driveway the views were spectacular. We were able to check in early and they quickly took us to our room. We had a quiet room in the back of the hotel facing north. This ended up being a wonderful room as it was very quiet, but we were able to enjoy the balcony as it got little sun exposure and a great mountain view. The hotel blended in with the mountain with its color and landscape. The hotel provided a map of the hiking trails surrounding the hotel, and the views at the top of the mountain looking down at the hotel were stunning. Each evening we would enjoy watching the sun set and listening to the flute player on the mountain side as the music echoed through the canyons. The room was spacious, and the bathroom was impressive. We enjoyed soaking in the tub after our long days hiking. We were sad to leave the Ritz and looking forward to our return.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We travelled to the Ritz at Dove Mountain for a week with our 5 year old son. I must begin by saying - the resort is breathtaking. The grounds are immaculate and the setting is simply perfectly manicured. The drive from the Tucson airport was not a big deal at all - 30-40 minutes. The airport was extremely easy to navigate as well as the rental car terminal.

Check In - Extremely friendly and professional front desk staff. They attempted to answer all of our questions and gave us a room overlooking the orange trees and mountains.

Room - Very clean and well kept. We had a perfect balcony. The bed was very comfortable. The linens were perfect. The towels were plentiful. The toiletries were a little small, but of good quality. Great flat screen TV. Great large size bathroom with walk in shower and nice bath tub. Large safe. Mini refrigerator that is coded - so watch out if you have kids! We had them deliver a mini refrigerator which they placed at one side of the room for my son's snacks. OK - the not so great things regarding the room and room service - a filthy coffee machine with old coffee grinds stuck to it, no turn down service 1st night and extremely late service the second night at 8:30 pm after my son falls asleep! I requested slippers and bath robes because we never received them - although they should already be in the room.

Restaurants - FORGET the word service - almost non existant. Yes they are polite, but the wait is endless for anything and the food is extremely mediocre especially for a Ritz!!! EXCEPT the Club House where the staff is almost of a different caliber and treats you with dignity and actually serves up amazing food! The difference between the service and food at the Hotel versus the Club House is incredible. I have never been to a Ritz where I had to go up to a hostess after a while of being seated and beg for a menu, and then after her still not bringing one - fetching one myself! Maybe at Holiday Inn? Maybe!

Pool - service is Horrendous! We actually laughed as the waiters/pool staff mixed up people's orders over a span of a few days! The pool side was not even crowded. We wondered who trained these people (if at all!). On every single day we placed our own towels on our chairs. No one ever asked if we needed help! At a Ritz??? I am not a spoiled person and ordinarily could not care less, BUT when you stay at a Marriott, Hyatt, Westin etc.... this seems to be customary - let alone a Ritz again! One of the main reasons we visited this resort was for the water slide. The pool personnel told us that it opens at 10am every day. The first day it was after noon when they turned it on. The second day they said they had to fill the pool with more water first and it was 11:30am. Try explaining this to a 5 year old waiting in the sun for 2 hours as they made multiple excuses. Just do not promise what you cannot deliver! Simple concept. You would also think that the resort would fill the pool water the evening/night before instead of doing it in the guests' presence? The ugly - the dead flies all over the pool - when brought to their attention - because there were literally hundreds (not just a couple that I would swoon up with my own hands of course) - they said there was nothing they could do. They actually watched my husband go and fetch the fly net and clean their pool!!!

Grounds - immaculate, well taken care of at every turn. We also had a wonderful tour with a guide of the property and hiking trails. The golf was wonderful for my husband. My son enjoyed the miniature golf course and bocce ball! He loved loved loved the water slide - once they turned it on :)) We did visit the kids club - nothing special at all. The concierge did promise to look into a kids club reservation for the following day and never called us back! We had requested 5-9pm. She called us at 4pm that very day and left a message in our room informing us that they had no one to take care of our son at the kid's club - a little late with the call I think???

As I mentioned we are not spoiled people by any means and if you peak into my other reviews - you will see that I always give credit where it is due. We have stayed at many different types and classes of resorts. To the Ritz's credit, I did speak to the Manager after we returned home and he was extremely professional and polite. He had already addressed many of our concerns, and had talked to the staff. We had a very pleasant conversation, and we do intend to return one day to this amazing resort.

Please do not be deterred by my review. I like to be frank based on my personal experience. I also want to comment regarding the Marana area. There are a few restaurants close by if you choose to drive off site as well as a drug store. Remote locations always make it more relaxing, but this Ritz is not exactly in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LetsPack!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marana
White Stallion Ranch
Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain? Share your experiences!