“Good Times At The Saray” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Saray Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oludeniz
Saray Hotel
Ranked #13 of 50 Oludeniz B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good Times At The Saray”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2010

My family and I have just returned from a two week stay at the Saray and we had a wonderful holiday. However I do agree with “Acedes” regarding room 107, it does need a complete refurbishment. We were initially allocated 107 but were unhappy with the room (mouldy shower curtains and bathroom tile grouting, stained carpets etc) but on complaining to Dan (our rep) and Mustapha (Manager) we were moved to room 602 in the Fransola building which was immaculate.

Having read all the reviews on here my main concern, given that we were going self catering, was the constant references to people being stopped by the security guard when bringing food or drink into the hotel. Well I am pleased to report that this problem (for self catering guests) would appear to be sorted! On arrival we were issued with a blue wristband of the type you would expect in an all inclusive hotel. Mustapha explained that all self catering guests were being issued with these and on seeing the wrist band the security guard would not stop you and true enough we experienced no problems throughout the entire holiday. Quite frankly I don’t like the idea that anyone, not just self catering guests, could be stopped taking food or drink into the hotel however I discovered fairly quickly that most hotels in the resort have exactly the same policy.

I have also read negative reviews regarding the staff, well I can assure you that was certainly not our experience! We thought we might be persona non grata after complaining about our room but nothing could have been further from the truth. Mustapha was always courteous and polite, Oshula, the bar maid was quiet but always pleasant and Michael was, well…………….utterly mad! The Saray’s one man animation team, guaranteed to put a smile on your face. And last but not least Hector the dog who would sell his sole for a slice of pizza.

Despite what you may read elsewhere there was music being played at the poolside during the day and there was the odd thing going on at night e.g. the Turkish Night which was fantastic. We didn’t eat very often at the Saray but we did the night they spit roasted a whole lamb and that turned out to be one of the best meals of our holiday.

Noise in the evening has also been mentioned in previous reviews and yes this can be a problem but whether you suffer from this is very much down to the luck of the draw! If you end up in the building nearest the pool then you may have acquired the best view but you are undoubtedly going to experience noise from the bar, if however you are allocated the building at the rear, as we were (Fransolo), then noise levels are not nearly as bad, occasional noise from the “Happy Hotel” further down the street and of course the bloody cockerel from across the road. The only other problem noise wise is the call to prayer from the mosque at around 5.30am but if you are not prepared to accept this then you shouldn’t be going to Turkey, simple as that!!

Acquiring a sun beds could be a bit of a problem. The Saray do not appear to actively discourage people who leave towels on the beds 24/7 which is not right in my estimation. I used to go down to the pool each day at approximately 8.00am and always managed to get decent beds but I reckon if you left it much past 9.00am you would struggle. One day I counted 47 towels on beds at five past eight and not a person in sight. As you will have read in other reviews the sun beds are in need of replacing however I did notice a few new ones so maybe this is being done gradually.

The position of the Saray is ideal, just a three minute stroll from Hisaronu main street and five minutes from the main supermarket Azda . For the kids the Go Cart track is directly across the road from the main entrance and in the evening the Dolmus service (local bus) to Olu Deniz and Fethiye runs past the front door as well.

Restaurants That I would recommend include : Robin Hood, Mamma Mia’s, Shine, La Meditaranee, Oasis, Bees Knees, Dragonaro and Pizza Peppino (best breakfast) and best value dining would be Dippy Dolly’s. If you are planning a night out in Olu Deniz "La Mare" is a nice place to eat.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Camallain

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Turkish first
sunderland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

Myself and my family returned on Friday 10th Sept 2010 and could not of come a day sooner. The first room we were put in was 107, mould was 2 feet high on shower curtain and tiles. Room had not been cleaned, no self-catering facilities and room was VERY DIRTY.immediately asked to be moved.
With great reluctance we were moved to room 702 ground floor room, still very dirty, dark as there was a brick wall outside the window (see photo) shower curtain blood stained, bed settee smelt of mould, shower floor was covered in hair, toilet smelt of urine, no self catering facilities. Still VERY DIRTY!
The hotel had no atmosphere as there is NO MUSIC at all around the pool during the day. The pool area is also very dirty not cleaned at all while we were there, we saw the hotel dog wee up one of the sun beds! No entertainment on an evening! The staff are rude, miserable and unhelpful.
Micheal was annoying and a creep to any woman! Mustafa rude and very unhelpful!
Please, Please,Please see our attached photos for a true refection of the Saray Hotel. Photos do NOT LIE!!!!!!!!!! we are willing to exchange views and got plenty more photos to share.

2 Thank acedecs
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

Just got back from a week at the Saray Hotel. We were welcomed by the manager ignoring us at the bar - did he want our custom? Not really we found out as the week progressed, he was only interested in people who spent all their time & money at the bar. Michael - a waiter/barman, thought he was funny. All he did was use english swear words in front of guests whether children were present or not. Myself and my partner complained to the holiday rep about this, but it made no difference. Breakfast was abysmal amounting to tea, toast and cereals. Rooms were clean and fit for the purpose but we didn't feel we should have to pay extra for air conditioning. Towels were left on the sunbeds twenty four seven. The hotels pet dog was allowed to wander around the pool urinating on the sunbeds and begging at the tables. We had to ask the maid after 2 days to change the towels. The security guard would search your bags if he thought you were bringing in any food or drink from outside. Hot water was limited to 2 hours in the morning & 4 at night. Would we stay there again?. Not if you paid us! The only good point was it is very close to the town centre with loads of shops, bars & restaurants.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank debbie_white
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

The Saray is good as a base and is well positioned to visit Hisaronu itself, but there are fundamental problems which put a damp squib on things. The first is the ridiculous "No Food" rule, whereas they say you can bring nothing in and have to pay their exorbitant prices (soft drinks in particular). The hotel's logic is that you can't even bring in things they do not sell and what they do they will charge 5 or 6 times what it costs in Azda down the road e.g they will charge 7 TL for a 1 litre bottle of pop, but the shops will charge 1 TL for exactly the same thing. I didn't find it too much of a problem as the security guard seemed to give me the nod to do what I wanted, but it is very hit and miss. They have signs in the room saying that if they find any food or drink brought in from outside they will remove it, but this never happened to us, although you feel you have to stash it in cupboards and your suitcase. I appreciate they want you to spend money in there, but it does feel a bit draconian with these rules (no kettles allowed in particular) and to charge over the top for most things puts them in a bad light.

The hotel staff are generally a miserable bunch and the mood there is very sombre. Michael seems to think he is somewhat of a local celebrity, but from what I saw he only has time for young, single ladies - many of whom took exception to him throwing buckets of water over them while sunbathing. The other problem with the staff is they seem to be selective in how good their English is - when they want your money it is very good, when you want to complain about something they just shrug their shoulders and walk off. In fact, the friendliest member of staff is Hector the "Guard" dog.

Breakfast is a soul less experience, which essentially consists of the guests trudging around like zombies huddled round a 2 slice toaster, or clambering for the low quality coffee or cornflakes or orange squash (note no proper orange juice which is just cheap tricks). An added bonus is all the staff smoking in the room it is served in - it's one way to get a bit more flavour into the food I suppose.

Air conditioning will cost you £35 a week for a family room and £25 for a single room. It's quite effective, but is very noisy and poorly maintained. Rooms are basic as you would expect from Turkey, but are generally clean and of a decent standard for a 2*. Avoid using the dirty shower curtains as they are a waste of time and watch in amazement as the water from the shower starts flooding the entire bathroom, due to a shower tray which is half an inch deep at best.

Sleeping is virtually impossible as many of the guests seem to have an irresistible urge to drag tables and chairs around at 2am and shouting in the corridors. At 3.30am, you then get woken up by the binmen and then at 5am the mosque for the call to prayer. Sometimes the noisy air conditioning can be a godsend after all!

The pool is of a decent enough size, although the sunbeds are gone by 9am due to most guests just leaving their towels permanently in situ, although the staff did pile them all up on a couple of occasions. The problem with the pool is both myself and my son got an ear infection from it, resulting in us having to get a course of antibiotics. Having spoken to a few people, some said they suffered with the same ailment.

Hisaronu itself is a nice resort, with some very good restaurants. We found Cheers and El Nino's to be the best of the bunch,

Not a bad hotel overall, but they need to address some of the rules they have in place as this will clearly keep away any repeat guests - or any new ones for that matter.

1 Thank BrickVader
Rotherham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

We had to re book our holiday due to Goldtrail going bust the day before we were to travel so we didn’t have much choice. We arrived and the staff carried our cases to the room. The room was clean and the maids come around and clean every day. The pool is large and the first week sun beds were not a problem. Week two you had to be down to stake a claim pretty early as they were lots of new guest meeting up with friend and families from years gone by. Michel the waiter was funny and he is one for chatting up the ladies. When my 14 year old daughter told him how old she was and that she wasn’t interested he totally ignored her and was rude at times. He pretends he is talking on his mobile phone to his girlfriend, sometimes it laura the next someone else. It’s quit funny really.
One thing that did annoy me was the security guard. We were self catering so a trip to the Azda was necessary, just water, bread, cheese etc for a sandwich ‘IN THE ROOM’. The security man stopped me and told me I could not fetch food in. I stated I was self catering he then pretended he didn’t understand me. I knew he could speak some English as I did here him speaking to another guest earlier. I said again ‘Self catering’ and told him my room number so he could check He said again ‘no food’. It was clear he had got selected understanding so I said 'I don’t understand 'and walked of to the room. This happened three times in the end I had to shout ‘I AM SELF CATERING I AM NOT EATING FOOD AROUND THE POOL’ It attracted some attention but it did do the trick. I was just dreading being confronted by him every time I came back from the shop, my wife refused to go to the shop for this reason. I had given him my room number why did't he check. I was talking to other guests who were half board and he had stopped them and refused them bring food in. One couple bought a kettle to make a drink and they made them put it away and told them they couldn’t use it. this upset quit a few guest.
Anyway overall the hotel is good, it’s clean and the staff or ‘mostly’ friendly. A part from the security man so be aware. Would we stop there again? YES as a base.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Old-william
Warwick
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

Just come back and had a wonderful week at the Saray. Getting a sunbed....... well most people stake there claim at the start of the holiday and leave their towel on the sunbeds the whole time whether there out for the whole day or not! 'Your never walk alone' be prepared to be woken at 4am by some numb skull singing this. The Saray has some really good and friendly cleaners. Breakfast is as very Turkish, but hey your in Turkey! If you want the full English head into town. Brill pool. Family rooms are a good side, kitchenette beware NO KETTLE! They don't like you bring your own food in, but just use the side gate and they won't know. Overall relaxing, good tan and hey, no I didn't burn my bum!!

Middlesbrough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

Arrived on the 22 July for 2 weeks with my partner and 2 children. Very good pool area always clean and tidy, although to guarantee a sunbed you had to be up early especially in the 2nd week when a lot of regulars came back for their hols. Food ok, not as nice as some hotels i have stayed in. Staff excellent, especially with the children, Michael was very funny. Room was one of the best we have stayed in, in Turkey although be warned if you get put in room 310, asked to be moved straight away, it is right near were the cleaners are and the laundry room, and beleive me they are very noisy and are not bothered if you are asleep or not. We got woke up at 7 every morning and the noise never stopped all day. Brilliant location just 2 minutes up the road to the town, which is brilliant. Loads of bars and restuarants. Our favourite restuarants were Cheers, Oasis, Del-Boys was fantastic. Most bars are the same really with the same prices, This is our third trip to Turkey, we stayed in the Destan, Lagoon Hotel and now Saray. Would say the Saray was the best for the family and the Destan was the best for us as a couple.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family