“The karbel - the truth”

Ranked #36 of 103 Hotels in Oludeniz
Nottingham
“The karbel - the truth”
Reviewed October 18, 2008

We have just returned this morning from Oludeniz and the Karbel Hotel and as there has been so much confusion and conflicting reports on this hotel, I thought I would come on and put things over from my perspective whilst it is all extremely fresh in my mind.

It seems to me that the confusion occurs when people come on Trip Adviser and rate this hotel as 5 star - it clearly is not a 5 star hotel and is obviously a 3 star property, but sadly many people have had their expectations raised to an unrealistic level before they arrive.

The hotel is set in beautiful gardens in colourful and typically Turkish low rise accomodation blocks. The gardens are well kept (although the lawns did need a mow for several days after we arrived - this made a lot of difference to how the hotel looked).

I had requested a double room by email before I arrived and this had duly been allocated to us on arrival - in my opinion the room was very good and was one of the better features of the hotel. It was beautifully kept by the maids for the 2 weeks too.

We stayed Bed and Breakfast only - as we do enjoy eating out when the restaurant choice is good. The breakfast was very limited in terms of the choice but the food was plentiful and very simple. Look out for Scrambled egg and chips each Tuesday and Omlettes on Friday's - on the house! Breakfast on the patio has to be experienced too - watch the sun come up over the mountains - it's truly something special.

The sunbathing areas around the pools were very good and well maintained - the pool bars are also friendly and reasonably priced. To me the whole hotel offers very good value for money and to illustrate that we paid a basic price of £706 for the 2 of us for 2 weeks - which is FANTASTIC value when the value of the flight is taken into account. On the way home we heard fellow traveller's criticising their stay at the Letoonia Resort for which they had paid over £2,000 - there words were that Letoonia is 'definitely not a 5 star hotel - it's a 2 star and maybe 3 on a good day', which for me puts it all into perspective.

Oludeniz is a great little resort with stunning views and lovely beaches. The Blue Lagoon is very well worth a visit or 3 and don't forget the beaches on the north side - they're all free but we only found them on the last day!

If you're eating out I'd recommend that you avoid the main 'strip' where you can get ripped off if you aren't careful and use the restaurants down the Dolmus road - the best of which we found to be Cousins (Jeff and his English wife Chris offer great service and food at bargain prices) and Le Mare Italian restaurant, where the staff are incredibly friendly and polite.

We enjoyed a trip to Fethiye market by Dolmus on Tuesday - but again it is easy to be ripped off here. You need to negotiate HARD to ensure you're buying at the right price but you can obtain great value. Fethiye is a lovely little harbour town and well worth a visit.

Best value of the holiday was the 12 Islands boat trip from Fethiye Harbour - on the boat Grand Baris. Baris is a great little guy who puts on an excellent trip for just £10 including a choice of lunch. We were picked up from the hotel at 9am and were dropped off back at 6.30 pm - superb value and breathtaking scenery. The boat is captained by Baris's brother and the boys mother cooks the lunches.

So all in all a great holiday in a wonderful setting, offering superb value and very well recommended. But I would say that if you choose carefully - you could do even better than we did!

• Liked — The setting and location
  • Disliked — Poor choice at breakfast
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Mikeyboy5

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, UK
Reviewed October 16, 2008

I loved staying in Karbel Hotel with my family.

Room was a good size, even for 3 people. There was 1 double and 2 single beds, small fridge and a little balcony. The hotel is split into many little houses, containing 6-9 rooms each. The shower room had a shower cabin. I am a bath lover, but in Turkish hotels I have never seen baths so far, so I went to Hamam – or Turkish Bath – instead – real treat and relaxation. They will scrub you and massage you, so go on the first day of your holiday – to clear skin, so that you can have great tan afterwards.

The hotel is clean, maids do really good job daily, the food was good (especially on the BBQ night) and the entertainment was adequate. Don’t miss male belly dancer – best belly dancer I have ever seen, real talent.

The staff of the hotel is attentive and looks well after you. Photographer Omar will take your pictures and try to sell them to you – I bought a CD and was quite happy. Bargaining is a culture there, so don’t be shy, knock the prices down dramatically – be it in the market, shop, or when buying excursions.

The greatest thing about this hotel is its location - 4-5 min walk up the lively road to Belcekiz beach and Oludeniz blue lagoon.

I stayed in the area twice this year and first time I was staying in Hisaronu (5 min away from Oludeniz by local minibus called Dolmus). Karbel Hotel is located so much more conveniently, because it is in Oludeniz, so no bus ride needed to the beach.

There is a shopping street just outside the hotel, full of souvenir, jewellery and clothes shops, this street is the main street in Oludeniz and is very lively, especially in the evenings, because it has a lot of bars and restaurants, too. All the shops are open until around midnight, some even later, so you can buy anything until late hours (including food).

I really love the region and the activities it has to offer. I did paragliding and thoroughly enjoyed it. It isnot scary at all, because you do not jump anywhere – just run with open parachute until you go up – not down! – the mountain. The pilots will do their best to calm you down, if you are nervous – I wasn’t! Book your excursions with Focus agency located right opposite Belcekiz beach – much cheaper than booking in the hotel or through your travel rep – outstanding service and competitive prices. I also went horse riding in mountains – good exercise for your body, when you come up high to mountains – you will enjoy blue lagoon view from above – very picturesque and photogenic!

I would recommend this hotel to anybody with or without kids.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no bath in the room, no spare keys - 1 key per room only
3 Thank Helena_Parker
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2008

The hotel is excellent and very clean at all times. The only thing I found was the curtains are white and do not keep any light out. I got some extra blankets and placed them over the windows.
The staff are wonderful and could not have been more helpful even when I was ill.
I wish we had gone half board as all of the places to eat and drink have inflated there prices so you are now paying the same as you would here to eat. 7 lira for a vodka which is about £3.50 and dinner costing over £15.00 with an evening meal up to £40.00 for two.
We went to Marmaris and Icmeler on a daytrip and the prices there are considerably lower e.g a breakfast for £1.00. I love Olu Deniz but will not go back as we could not afford it and if they are not careful English people will stop going as Turkey has always been cheaper. We went to Rhodes for they day and it was even cheaper to eat there. Be warned stay outside Olu Deniz or stay all inclusive

• Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank samrunestar
cheshire
Reviewed October 14, 2008

We Stayed at the Hotel Karbel for one week at the end of september travelled with First Choice.
We arrived late on saturday evening for reception to say they were full ! and took us in a car to the Karbel Beach Hotel down the road, which as we found was no where near as nice as the karbel.
We stayed there for 1 night and then back into the Karbel Hotel, It was a bit of a pain but nothing we could do. The manager at the karbel was apologetic and gave us free lunch vouchers and a free late checkout to compensate. we were on half board, the food was lovely and plenty of choice, always tasty, dont miss the sunday dinner its lovely. So are the salads and deserts. Staff really friendly as well.

Rooms are small but are spotless the maids do a good job, we asked for a high floor near the smaller pool,

The hotel was quite busy we thought for september, mainly couples. Large pool and a quieter pool at the other end, was really nice and relaxing, great fun watching all the paragliders in the sky.

The pool bar does really nice lunches and snacks. The pool bar at night is quite good with happy hour at 6.30pm.The guys on the bar are a good laugh.

Olu Deniz is lovely, the main street has enough shops and bars for everyone, the Turkish are so friendly.

We went to the bar on the beach one night it has big bean bags to sit on, was really nice, it was expensive for drinks though.

Never really ate out much as we was h/b.
Went on the Dalyan trip, mud baths and tutle beach, booked with seaside travel cost about £16pp(inc lunch), was a good day but very long day, pick up at 8am and back at 7pm.

All in all a lovely family resort, very laid back, no lager louts, Hotel Karbel is very nice place and we will return here in the next year or two.

• Liked — Really clean and friendly hotel. Good food.
  • Disliked — small balconies.
5 Thank Samchris14
Berkshire
Reviewed October 13, 2008

Summary: Had to move to Karbel Beach  Friendly staff 

My partner and I was meant to stay at the Karble from 4Sep for 2weeks. We arrived early in the morning and it took nearly 4 hrs to get to the hotel because the mini van before us crashed and we had to take a young family on out bus and make sure everyone was okay. We was obviously on the right bus because out guy was driving fine but I think it can be hit and miss really some are good and other drive like maniacs!

Anyway long story short we got to the hotel and were taken to BLOCK 5 :(:(:( I had read reviews on this and knew what was coming.... the dungeons, do not request a double room!! Basically they are below ground level and there is a little tiny window at the top of !!<<A WALL>>!! there was no balcony and it was dark and dingy. I was there 5 minutes and then went back to the front desk to explain I had to move rooms. I was then told yes of course you can move rooms however you will stay at Karbel Beach because they were fully booked! I was least impressed I had paid for the Karbel and was not happy that I had to change to a hotel that I knew nothing about HOWEVER....

The staff there were very helpful and were very quick at sorting the problem but I think the reason they were quick was because they were VERY use to moving people from this block. We moved to the Karbel beach as we had no other choice and throughout the holiday we spoke to nearly a dozen people who had also been moved because they were either put in the dungeons or there booking wasnt on the system or worse they had just over booked! So just beware! I am sure its probably a lovely hotel as it did look nice but the logistics do not seem great.

• Liked — The staff and entertainment
  • Disliked — Having to move to the Karbel Beach
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2008

Having just returned from a one week's stay (my second visit in 3 years) I really can't understand the criticism in recent reviews. For the price, it's a superb hotel and that's the reason why it's rated as #3 in the Trip Advisor ratings. I paid £560 for two of us to stay for one weeks B&B including flights and transfers (Portland Direct).
Let's be clear, it's not a luxurious hotel but it is exceptional quality for the price. It's clean, the staff are cheerful and friendly and it has two excellent pools with plenty of sunbeds.
The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are fine. The balcony is small and the views are limited, but personally I don't want to sit on my balcony all day/night.
Food wise, the breakfast is nothing special but it has to cater for all nationalities, so don't expect an English breakfast. There are plenty of meats, cheese, bread, jam, fresh fruit etc. Lunch can be had in the Pool Bar, and though the food is good, it can be had cheaper in the restaurants on the strip. I don't recommend the half board option, mainly because Olu Deniz has many other restaurants that offer a better choice for less money. I'm also not a fan of buffet meals that often become repetitive.
Restaurant wise, The Anfora offers great meals (2 starters, main courses and a bottle of wine came to £30), for a nice meal with a great view of the sea then go to the Buzz Beach Bar and also the Help Restaurant. The Sultan Pepper has some good "all you can eat" buffets and I can also recommend the Secret Garden and also the A La Carte menu at the Karbel.
Bar wise, the Shadows Bar offers karaoke and much more entertainment (the guys used to work in the Hippy Shake). Once again, the Buzz beach bar is a great way to relax and chill whilst enjoying the magical scenery.
All in all, I think the Karbel offers great value for money and I would recommend it over many hotels in Olu Deniz apart from the most expensive resorts. if you weant cheap and cheerful the Karbel will match your expectations and much more.
As for the resort of Olu Deniz, it's a lovely location with plenty of bars and restaurants. The beach front is lovely (though the beach itself was too stony for my liking). The lagoon is a lovely place to visit, and I recommend hiring a pedalo for an hour and having a swim in the crystal clear water. The beach at the lagoon is also much better on the feet.
If you are looking for a relaxing week with great weather, then Olu Deniz will be hard to beat, and for those with realistic expectations, I think you'll find all you need at the Karbel bearing in mind how cheap it is.

• Liked — Spacious
  • Disliked — Mattress
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OK1967
Yorkshire
Reviewed October 6, 2008

We returned from our first trip to Olu Deniz on Thursday and can't wait to go back, what a great place!
The Karbel Hotel was better than I expected as I've stayed in a couple of dodgy 3 star hotels in the past! The rooms were spotlessly cleaned and the maid came to clean them everyday. The only thing I could find to complain about was the size of the rooms and the balcony as others have mentioned, but to be honest as we didn't spend very long in the room we didn't find this a problem (we were in the 500 block with a view of the 2nd pool).

We were B&B and found the breakfasts fine, we never went hungry and were rarely ready for anything else to eat until atleast mid afternoon. We never had any other meals in the hotels so can't comment on these, but they were doing a deal where you pay for 3 nights and get 1 free while we were there. I think it was 30YTL each or thereabouts and it was a buffet meal which considering the prices in other restaurants this didn't seem bad at all.
The staff in the hotel couldn't do enough for us and always had a friendly smile and a bit of banter in a mornings. I can't understand the last review at all which said they were indifferent, I can honestly say we never met a member of staff who was anything but friendly.
We had some photos taken while we were there by Omer, the resident photographer. He's a lovely guy, not at all pushy and took some great photos. We had some printed for us and he sold us the CD with the rest on for £10. There were about 55 photos in all. We've had so many compliements on them since we got back too!

The hotel itself is in a great location. It's a 10 - 15 minute walk from the beach which is reached along the main street where all the bars and shops are (first left out of the hotel). If you want a quieter walk with less hassle from the shops you can take the road straight ahead when you leave the hotel and turn left at the top of the road. This also takes you to the beach, but has less shops and bars.

We went to the main beach for a couple of days which is a shingle beach, but spent most days at the blue lagoon which is a pebble beach. You will need aqua shoes for both if you're planning on going in the sea.
The first part of the blue lagoon was quite peaceful with not as many people but the further you walk the busier it gets so we didn't go too far in. The sun loungers were 5YTL each per day and I think the parasol was the same, but we didn't have one. A good tip which I wish we'd thought of earlier on in the holiday is to buy an airbed. There's a shop on the right hand side as you come out of the hotel and walk towards the beach which sells them for £2 so you can use them all holiday and leave them behind when you come home for that price.

We ate at a different restaurant every night and would return to them all. We tried Buzz Bar (also great for cocktails, happy hour 6pm-8pm and 10pm -11pm I think), Secret Garden, Cloud 9, Captain Hooks Fish Restaurant and China Sun. We also ate at an Indian restaurant which I can't remember the name of and had a night in Hisaronu where we ate at the Suntrap which was also a lovely meal.
We used the Dolmus to get the Hisaronu and also the Fethiye for the market on Tuesday. We paid 5YTL return for Hisaronu and 7YTL for Fethiye. I'd recommend Hisaronu for a night out if you fancy a change and something a bit more lively, it's only about 15 mins away and the dolmus run until 1am. There are loads and they fly past every few minutes so you can flag them down wherever you are.
I found the market quite expensive so you have to be prepared to barter. Some of the prices they start at are ridiculous and they look insulted if you ask them to lower them. I managed to get a few bargains, but it wasn't easy!!
All in all we had a great time and would recommend the Karbel Hotel and Olu Deniz to everyone. I'll definitely be back someday ;-)

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Rooms a little on the small side
1 Thank Bex28