All reviewsturtle poolquad roommanager hakanair connext yearturkeylovely hotelbar staffsuperior roomhalf boardgreat holidaybed and breakfastlower poolthe main stripboiled eggsbars and restaurantsa lovely stay
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed at the Flamingo from 9th July to 16th July 2011. Before arriving I had been in email contact with Hakan the hotel manager as I wanted a first floor pool view room in flamingo 1. Hakan assured me that this would be available when we arrived.

On arrival, we were met by a young girl on reception and a male member of staff who ignored us for a few minutes until I said hello. The young girl began dealing with our check in, I explained that I had been in contact with Hakan to arrange a pool view first floor room to which she shrugged her shoulders and said "we will see". We also paid for the air conditioning at this point in full. We followed her over to flamingo 1 where she told us to wait by the pool whilst she dissapeared down the steps to some very dingy looking rooms, she then came back and said follow me. We were led to a room on the ground floor overlooking the pool. I explained that this is not what I had arranged with Hakan, to which she said "whats your problem with the room?", I explained that the room was fine but it needed to be on the first floor. People who were around the pool were literally on top of the balcony, which meant no privacy at all! She then said there was nothing she could do and dissapeared. Both of us stood dumbfounded and decided to go over to reception. My partner handled the situation then as he was beginning to get annoyed with her attitude. The girl said that she had only been at the hotel for a couple of days and it was at this point the man tried to take over. He was very rude which my partner did not appreciate in the 40 degree heat and explained to him that he would sort it out and offered to show him the emails from Hakan which we had printed out. He said that he would try and move us the next day. We returned to the room when we had a phone call from him saying that he would move us soon. After about 30 mins we went back to reception where Hakan the manager had now arrived who told the male member of staff that he would be moving us to room 24 as this had been arranged. Hakan appeared quite annoyed with him. We were shown to this room which was much better as it was on the first floor. A cleaner then let herself into our room without knocking?! She appeared to be a supervisor to the cleaners and began to look all around the room without apologising or explaining what she was doing. All before we had even unpacked!!

Later that day I went back to reception to check that the money we paid for the air conditioning had been noted due to us moving rooms. Hakan checked and immediatley said "do you know who you paid" luckily the young girl was standing next to him and so we told him it was her. I do wonder if she had not been around whether we would have had difficulty trying to explain this.

The hotel itself was clean. Rose the cleaner tended to our room all week and was a lovely lady, thanks Rose! The pool area was nice although unless you got up at 8am or earlier you would not get a sunbed. I watched alot of people from the balcony coming down for breakfast and placing towels on beds, really sad! Alot of these people would also go out for the day and leave towels on the sunbeds. Pool culture was an eye opener for me.

There are signs in the room and on the entrance to the hotel telling you not to bring in food or drink but we were never stopped. The water prices from the bar are double what you pay in the shop down the road so get it there and put it in your bag. Olu Deniz beach is about a 10 minute walk away which is fine and the beach is lovely but make sure you have your aqua shoes because of the rocky beach. Hisaranu is up the road and can be accessed by the Dolmus (minibus) which runs every few mins for a few lira. Its awful at night, just like Blackpool but OK in the day, very English though. Fethiye is a little further on the Dolmus but is a beautiful harbour town with an excellent market.

Overall, a really nice hotel in a great location although could be managed a little better. Staff need to understand the need for good customer service.

Room Tip: Flamingo 1 is lovely despite it being cheaper than flamingo 2. We stayed in room 24 on the first floor, which was more private.
3  Thank Lisa7002
HakanEfesakalli, General Manager at Flamingo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2014

Dear Guest

thank you so so much for your review.It is really important for us.Since you have stayed with us we have improved so many thing.I wish to see you all again

Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed at The Flamingo Hotel in Olu Deniz 1st - 12th July 2011 and traveled as two couples. We had booked two rooms through First Choice. We had no problems with our room, it was a twin room but we had thought this was pretty standard in Turkey. On arrival we pushed our twin beds together and by the following evening the maids had changed the bedding to double bedding without us asking. Our room also had a sofa bed in while our friends didnt but they had a slightly different lay out with a larger bathroom. Couldnt fault either rooms, the bathroom was nice and shower was powerful. We had no problems with the hotel staff and their language skills, if they didnt speak much English they would find a staff member who did. We paid our hotel bar bill every couple of days, our friends had one occasion where food was on their bill that they had not ordered but the staff did not force them to pay this and removed it from the bill. The bar staff would ask your room number when ordering but you did not have to show your room key so it was possible other guests could just say a different room number to get out of paying. There were two pool areas, the downstairs pool was a quiet pool and the larger turtle shape pool was for families. The pools were quite deep but small children were using inflatables and seemed to be having a lot of fun. We went to the Turkish night and had an enjoyable evening, the BBQ food was good and would recommend this night. Breakfast was the same every day but you could alternate between the foods on offer, such as bread one day, cereal the next. We had air conditioning supplied as part of our booking through first choice. Im not sure if we were staying in Flamingo one or two but from outside could not see whether there was much difference. It appeared different holiday companies had block bookings in the different blocks. I can honestly not think of any reason why I would not recommend this hotel to others and in fact have already recommended to my brother. We had a great holiday and enjoyed Olu Deniz also. The reps try and get you to book trips through them on the first day but have an explore around town before you book any as you will find that there are the same trips on offer for much cheaper from agents in the town.
To sum up, Great Holiday and Hotel and would recommend to others.

3  Thank SnRCoventry

Reviewed July 12, 2011

Great hotel and would recommend it to anyone. A bit of a mix up on our first day, we arrived early morning and found when we woke up that we were actually in the neighbouring hotel Morina, this the Flamingo's sister hotel but wasn't what we had booked. This was sorted the following day and we settled into the Flamingo. Our room was on the upper level and was very clean and comfortable.
We found all the staff very friendly and they couldn't do enough for us, the manager Hakan was very helpful as was Mehmet and the rest of the excellent staff.
My first trip to Turkey and I would definitely return ans stay in the Flamingo again.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

i stayed at flamingo from 24th june to 8th july 2011 and i would just like 2 say what a great time myself and my husband had the only thing is we had 2 upgrade our room 2 a delux which cost us 140.00 4 2wks apart from that the staff and hakan and dont 4get memit he was so funny also memit and hakan through me in pool cos i said it was 2 quiet in the bottom pool area as no children were aloud down there but after that is was not quite everyone had a laugh at me i will be going back next year they are freat people and work very hard its a lovely place .

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank footiecheshire

Reviewed July 11, 2011

We have just come back from the Flamingo. We were feeling a little apprehensive about the room after some of the reviews but we got room 13 (not unlucky for us!) and this was on the upper floor and had a view of the pool and the bar. It was big enough, the shower was excellent and it was cleaned every day (along with some towel origami from the maids). I did hear some people a couple of days later complaining about the rooms below the pool - they didn't look great but then they didn't look that bad either.

The hotel staff were very helpful, friendly and entertaining and did their best to make you feel at home - I tried out my very shaky Turkish but they all put me to shame with their English.

The breakfast was basic but very nice with cheeses and eggs, toast, jam etc - if you really do need to have an English Breakfast then there are places outside the hotel that cook them but we were very happy with what was on offer. We did not eat in the hotel in evenings other than the BBQ night (which was very good and worth doing) and so I am not sure what it was like.

The days we spent around the pool were good - no scrambling for sunbeds, there always seemed to be plenty. There were a few people who put towels out early and then were absent for most of the day but you are always going to get that and it was definitely not as bad as other places we have stayed. The top pool was slightly bigger and was advertised as being for families and the bottom pool was designated as the quiet pool, both were good.

The no food and drink from outside policy was not really strictly enforced whilst we were there (we saw nobody being searched or stopped) but we only bought in fruit and on one day a bag of crisps that we have not eaten at lunch, maybe if you were bringing in a number of bags full you would have a problem. The prices at the bar and in the minibar were not that bad to be honest. We paid the room bill off every 2 days as it is quite easy to lose track and this way you have more of an idea if there has been a mistake. Our bill was always correct and the staff at reception were more than happy to print off a receipt listing all the items.

The hotel is right beside the mosque - I am a light sleeper and so I was woken up around 5am everyday by the call to prayer but to be honest it was quite nice to listen to. They also turned the music off during the day when the call to prayer went out and this was a really good touch and gave you a little taste of the Turkish culture.

The resort itself is lovely - if you are a beach person I would recommend getting some beach shoes (you can buy waterproof shoes there) as Olu Deniz beach and the Blue Lagoon beach are rocky beaches and I ended up with a bruised toe. Blue Lagoon is definately worth it though. We also went on a couple of boat trips and they do ask you to leave your water (they said we would get it back at the end but we didn't) so that you buy drinks on the boat (which are expensive).

Overall a very pleasant holiday - would love to go back and would go to the Flamingo again.

1  Thank KateJOxford