“A good little hotel & a nice town.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Tower Hotel

The Tower Hotel
Ranked #49 of 102 Hotels in Oludeniz
Derby, United Kingdom
“A good little hotel & a nice town.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

First a word not about our hotel but the carrier. First time travelling with Jet2, they were super, ultra fast check in at Manchester, great flight crews, will use them again.
After a private transfer to the hotel our check in was quick & efficient, with our bags taken to our room. All the rooms are small with limited but just enough storage, free air-con & what appears to be brand new bathrooms complete with a good shower, all with balcony"s but not all with good views & cleaned well every day, new towels & sheets daily.
Breakfast is Turkish continental basic, repetitive but adequate, a little imagination on their part would not come amiss, & some fruit!!
The hotel is kept spotless, with the staff working hard to keep it that way, especially the pool & its surrounds.
No money required at the pool or either bar, just sign the receipt & settle up at reception every few days. Running total of your account at the bottom of each receipt to help you keep track.
One gripe was the somewhat over enthusiastic prevention of preventing goods brought in from outside for use in the hotel, rubber rings & lilos etc. Also told not to take cups from breakfast to drink round pool, but if you BUY a coffee later this is then ok!!!
Overall a nice small clean quiet hotel for adults in a small tourist dominated town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the tower hotel 10 and 11 years ago and have now returned as we wanted a cheap holiday. 8 nights bed and breakfast for under 150 quid is a bargain but there is only one reason why we will not be going back. Before I mention why, let me just say that the hotel is basic, clean, friendly, well located, and has everything you need. We like hard beds so were very comfortable. Who needs more than BBC world news on your tv? You're on holiday! We found that our aircon remote needed new batteries to control it and it was replaced straight away. The staff are very friendly, especially Sinan, the main bar man and the female receptionist whose names we didn't get. Yes, their prices are a little more expensive than the local supermarkets but that is the price you pay for convenience. As for the breakfasts, we found them to be completely adequate, but if you want to be a Brit abroad, then go pay someone to cook you an average greasy fry up. We ate beautiful olives, ripe tomatoes, and had boiled eggs every morning which keeps you going until lunchtime. Their snack menu is good and their salads are delicious. Free wifi is available in the bar/reception area and it's nice to not have access to the Internet in your room so that you can relax and read when going to bed or waiting for your better half to get ready.

Now, the reason that we would not go back, wait for it...... The pool is no longer heated! When we went all those years ago it was such a gorgeous temperature that you could slide in and feel refreshed. Now though, you have to pluck up the courage to get in knowing that it's going to be cold. Yes you get used to it, but unless you move around you'll be out soon. I used to spend hours in the pool like a child, chilling on an inflatable, but not this time. We actually spent more time at the beach this time as the sea was warmer. One more thing, it was a lot more busy this time, with nearly all sunbeds taken first thing.

As for the crowd who go to this place, a mixed bag really, but one thing that I'm always struck by with us Brits abroad is that we're generally all very friendly folk. There were young couples, older couples, some families and even some proper oldies, but all were lovely and had a smile for you. The good weather brings out the best in us lot.

So, go if you want honest, clean, and cheap accommodation, as long as you don't mind a cold pool. Enjoy!

Oh, one more thing, olu deniz itself has become more commercialised in the last ten years, still a nice vibe, but a bit more like the Spanish coast catering for the lower end of the market. You get what you pay for but the weather is awesome, the scenery is stunning, and the sea is sheer bliss.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LondonRJK
leicestershire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

On a positive, my brother in law and partner have been to this hotel a couple of times and enjoyed it, and so had no hesitation in recommending it to my daughter and her boyfriend.

I was treating my daughter for her 21st birthday, and so obviously there was a budget. This hotel seemed the perfect destination for the price she and I were able to afford.

Having arrived, the first evening, she facetimed us and said that she had a small bedroom at the back of the hotel, and it was so hot even with the air-con. The room was very basic, but I told her that as long as it was clean don't complain. The t.v could only zone in to the News and nothing else. They were also lying on a bed sheet that had been torn and sewn back together.

I re-assured her that the room was not everything, and to go out and enjoy the area and scenery.
The following day she facetimed us again. She could only get a signal in the lobby area and spoke very quietly. Apparently that morning, the cleaners had been in to their room and reported them to reception, and a big notice was stuck to the mirror - saying to go and see the management...

Bearing in mind she is quite a shy girl she went down and was informed that she would be charged 50 lire for making a mess of the towels. She said she would buy new ones for them, or bleach them. No, they wanted compensation. I asked my daughter to tell me what exactly had happened and then I emailed the hotel directly. Basically, she had coloured her hair before going away. The dye from her hair after showering had bled onto the towels. The hotel emailed me back and said 'as a hotel, what would I do'.

I replied by saying that you have to take the rough with the smooth - that's business. Anyway, I made matters worse for her, and on checkout they charged her 60 lire instead of the 50 lire they were initially going to charge.

Being as they were paid for, the towels came home in her suitcase as I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Yes, they were quite bad to be fair with a purple glow... I washed them without using bleach, only my usual detergents. The purple disappeared completely on the first wash! The towels were awful anyway, more of a guest towel, and a bath mat. I have the before and after pictures too! I am positive this would not have happened to more mature guests.

These were two youngsters on holiday, and were in my opinion completely ripped off... even her uncle was disgusted by the treatment and will not return.

We as a family have always loved Turkey and the Turkish people and their way of life, but I feel I don't want to go back for some time which is a shame, This is an honest review with pictures and saved emails from the hotel. In for a dollar, she said the breakfasts were pretty dire as well. As the holiday was in August, I have not rushed into this, but feel better now that the facts are written down.

Room Tip: Tip - save up for a better hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank LeicestershireTup
lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

My family and i have just come back from our holiday , we stayed at the Tower Hotel . The rooms are basic but very clean the air con is free which is a god send the surroundings are lovely and very picturesque . The staff and people at the hotel was very helpful My husband was rushed to hospital and stayed in most of the holiday the staff were great couldnt do enough for us . I will definatly go back there next year .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Christina H
blackburn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

our 2nd stay here and just the same as we remembered it.... lovely hotel and very well kept.... last year we did half board but this time went for b and b..... we preferred this as eating out is cheap as chips and obviously more variety.......recommend tuscanas at the bottom of the main strip as their steak is to die for........ excellent nightlife and for a couple of lira nip up on the dolmus,s to hisoranu........ 5 mins and in a busier town, personally we are happy enough with olu deniz but suppose its a change to some....... basic is the breakfast but enough to choose from for even the pickiest of people...cereal..toast....melon and some turkish style breakfasts......what more do you need at 9 in morn? will i return next year.....probably..any questions ..don,t hesitate to ask .........

Room Tip: top floor ...the 3rd as you can watch the paragliding.....
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank markmyerscough
Exmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I suppose the best way to start this is to say we, as a couple, did not find this to be a good value for money hotel. On the outside the hotel looks ok but the rooms are basic to say the least and the beds are rock hard. Cleanliness is reasonable but the bedrooms offer little else and have no facilities other than those you would expect ie: toilet/shower/bed and a TV. We stayed on a B & B basis which ended up just being bed as the breakfast wasn't worth getting up for. On top of that we had a ground floor room at the very back of the hotel with little natural light and a nice view of a wall and air con units. All in all not a hotel that we will return to but, there are many who will and continue to do so which is why we all have individual tastes.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here in september 2012 and were surprised by its comfort. The hotel lies beautiful, but isolated, in the mountains, near the ancient Tlos village. We enjoyed dinner and the Turkish breakfast. This was one of the best hotels we stayed in during our trip through Lycia.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple