“Probably the best and worst hotel i've ever stayed in”
Review of Turquoise Hotel

Turquoise Hotel
Ranked #15 of 103 Hotels in Oludeniz
england
“Probably the best and worst hotel i've ever stayed in”
Reviewed August 6, 2010

On arrival we were told by the reception staff that only 2 of our 3 rooms were ready we assumed this ment that one room was still being cleaned. But what the very rude lady on reception ment was that we could only have 2 rooms, she wanted 9 of us to stay in 2 rooms for 2 nights because the hotel was over-booked. She offered to compensate us for the inconvenience. We looked at the rooms and refused this offer, after arguing with the receptionist who lacked basic people skills and manners, she found 3 rooms. The family room was fine but the other 2 rooms were shabby with broken furniture, light fittings hanging from bare wires and no space for a cot, then to top it of we were given the cots my 6 month old baby and my 1 yr old niece were expected to sleep in. They were broken, had sharp splinters of wood and covered in cobwebs, when we complained to the receptionist she asked what she should do with it my husband replied BURN IT!
After wasting 3 hours trying to get the rooms we paid for we approached the manager who was very helpful and sorted it all out. He found us adequate rooms and gave us brand new travel cots.
For the rest of the holiday we had an amazing time, obviously the staff knew what had happened and they went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our time at the hotel. The staff are a credit to the hotel; they work very hard day and night. Always happy, smiling and polite, well everyone apart from the lady on reception who didn’t smile or say hello once throughout the holiday!!!
Hotel Food
The breakfast in this hotel is not brilliant and the chef could do with a lesson in how to fry an egg but what there is, is edible and well presented (full English is available at the snack bar at extra cost). We only had one evening meal in the hotel and this was quite nice. The hotel is going to be a 4* all inclusive next year so I presume the food will be of a higher standard with more choice.
Turkish Bath
We didn’t use this in the hotel but should we return this is a must as I’m told it helps get a deeper longer lasting tan. I did have a medical massage special thanks to Durmush, I hurt my back on the 2nd day and someone recommended it. Well it worked and was a lovely way to spend an hour.
Dogs
The hotel has 2 big Alsatians as pets, during the day they are very friendly and spend most of the day asleep but they seemed to change come the evening, we saw them chase a few people. Not nice if you are afraid of dogs. I feel should if this hotel wants to be 4* the dogs are not appropriate and should go!
The manager later told us the hotel is to undergo a major refurbishment (it needs it) once it closes for the winter, with all the rooms, restaurant and reception area being done to a 4* standard.

We took our 6month old and she loved the whole holiday and the Turkish people loved her they would stop us in the street to look at her, shop owners would give her bracelets and trinkets with the protective eye on. This is just their way and is done in a very friendly manner.
If you are taking a baby I would recommend taking as much powdered milk as you can as this is very expensive and brands such as SMA and Cow & Gate are unavailable.
Restaurants and Resort
The resort is set is beautiful surroundings with mountains all around, the beach is shingly so surf shoes are a must. I didn’t go to the blue lagoon but the rest of my party did and they all agreed it wasn’t worth the trip and not how it looks in the photographs.
We ate out and JOSEPH’S and OTTAMAN’S both these restaurants are excellent value for money with plentiful menus and a lovely atmosphere. We ate at SULTAN AHMET one night despite the rave reviews in my opinion it was overrated, the food portions were small and the restaurant lacked atmosphere.
Goodbye
As we were coming home all the staff came to wave us off and there was even some tears! The manager helped carry our cases and gave us some bottles of water for the journey as it was sooooo hot!
The staff and manager at this hotel made our holiday and I would defiantly love to return once the refurbishment is done to see how the hotel has improved.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Turkish first
south england
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Complete mess up on rooms.Other guests had the same problem.The hotel is very clean,not so sure about the cleanliness of the pool,my daughter caught a very bad ear infection.I have read other reviews stating just this.There are no showers to use before entering the pool,so you have to enter the pool wearing sun cream/oil and sand when returning from the beach..The buffet food is not very good at times. The a la carte restaurant is superb.
The photographer is an absolute pain,but he does take nice photos!!The girls on reception are really unhelpful and rude.Goog luck if you have any dealings with them.The men are the complete opposite cannot do enough for you.
I am sure you will enjoy a stay at the hotel as long as you have rooms when you arrive.

Scotland
Reviewed August 4, 2010

This was our first time on holiday at Turquoise Hotel.The hotel was very pretty.But this hotel's biggest advantage is its quality staff.You see everyone is making his/her best effort to help you.Also the animation team(Emre, Gizem and Ceynur) was very sweet.They are very friendly and they make you happy every time.You can do a lot of activities in hotel during the day.(waterpolo, waterbasketball, crazy pool games etc.)
This was the best holiday i've ever had.
And this was the best hotel i've ever stayed.
I think i'll come back next year.
I strongly recommend Turquoise to everyone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank cregScotland
coventry UK
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I arrived at the Turquoise for 14 nights on 08th July, with my partner, friend and her 6 year old daughter. At first when we got there we were given the wrong type of room but this was soon corrected.
Rooms - We had booked a family room, but with all the family rooms they are as previously classed one of the basement rooms. Ignore previous comments of these type of rooms, cause I could not fault it one bit, apart from you can hear other rooms when in the bathroom, which is quite funny when you hear some conversations.
We had 2 rooms, and 2 people each sharing. The rooms were huge with a double bed and 2 single beds, with a very good sized bathroom and walkin shower. They were very clean, and we also had a lovely terrace area with a lovely little garden. Our rooms were facing the noisy Dorian Hotel but we only really got effected by this on our first night, due to us having an early flight were were all tired so went to bed at 9, but the music only went on till 12.

Staff - The reception staff were helpful when chaning our room, and also when we had to quiery our bill. In this hotel you have to give your room number whenever you are buying anything from the bar or restaurant then they charge it to the room. You can pay whenever you like but make sure you keep your receipts. There was on one occasion our friend had had cocktails charged to her room, and she doesn't even drink, but this got sorted instantly. The bar staff do not really get involved with you as much as you would like, but they are constantly busy, and if you talk to them they will always talk back. They also love children so do not be offended by this as this is there culture. We would also like to say a big hello to Anna from infinity jewlerey in the hotel. Even though she is not part of the hotel.

Day and Eveneing entertainment - All i can say is well done to Embrey and Gizem as they are fantastic. I am not one to join in with anything and neither is my partner, we like to just sit and watch and relax, and all though Embrey used to ask he would never push it onto you, which some places do. They had water polo, crazy pool game, and water basketball. As for Gizem I don't think I have ever seen anyone interact with kids the way she does. With having a 6 year old to try and entertain we were blessed when she started going to kids club, the hardest thing was getting her out at the end of the day. Jenny says hi to both of them and wishes she was back there.
The evening entertainment was good for a basic hotel, you had stuff from kenyan dancers, break dancers, kareoke, and bingo. The eye opening show was the staff comendy night one.

Food and Drinks - As previous reviews you can pay to upgrade to All Inclusive and also Half Board, as the hotel is going All Inclusive next year. We had a few drinks in the hotel but to have quite a few throughout the day was quite pricey so we just bought bottles of pop and water from the shop and put it in our fridge in the room.
The food at breakfast was much to be desired, but the lunches at the pool restaurant was lovely, would defo rate the full english breakfast, and chip buttys.

Trips - We only did 2 trips and this was, the sunsplash cruise with Thomson, and also Lykia world. The sunsplash cruise was a lovely day out and would deffanatly recommend it. Lykia world was also fantastic, my partner went and done the scuba diving in the morning, while me, my friend and daughter went to the waterpark then he came and met us. As it was the little ones birthday it was a very fun day out and its also a gorgouse hotel.

Olu Deniz- LOVELY, would go back in an instance.

HOLIDAY OVERALL - If I ever went back to Turkey I would go here. I would like to go back to the Turquoise but as going All Inclusive I wouldn't as there is too much to do outside the hotel. I fthe price was reasonable then I wouldn't hesitate but a big thankyou to everyone that made our holiday special. I have even downloaded Shake It Shekerim so little Jenny can do the dance!!!!!!!!!

2 Thank kay87
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Just got back from turquoise Hotel with two friends and had the best week ever!
it's location is in a quite spot yet minutes from the main strip where everything is going on, good for night time especially. we had a very spacious room and a friendly cleaner who did a great job looking after our room.
the staff there are amazing and so friendly! we had a good laugh with them and they always made an effort. the daytime entertainment was fun, water polo, water gym and water basketball which many people took part in daily.
the food was very nice, considering i am a fussy eater, the weekly BBQ was also lovely. the a la carte restaurant had delicious food and a good view overlooking the hotel.
i can't wait to go back there! the staff in particular made the week we spent there even more fun and enjoyable! i want to be back there now! :)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2010

This hotel has so much to offer for all ages!!
There's a kids club if your travelling with young children!! And theres plenty of fun and games around the pool during the day and then in the bar in the evening!
Theres games like water polo and basket ball as well as the daily "Crazy pool game"! I definetely looked foward to it everyday and was great fun for both adults and children!
Theres also Wi-Fi available free in the hotel which was extremely helpful as the nearest internet cafe was about 5minutes walk away...which can be a long trek in the warm sun!!
There evening entertainment is different every evening...and you are guaranteed a laugh...and you will be amazed by some of the talented dancers that you'll see!!!
The staff at the hotel are so friendly and are what makes this hotel so brilliant! They will do everything they can to help you at any time of the day or night! The rooms are basic but in my opinion you've got just everything you need...as you wont be spending that much time in the room but rather out and around the pool etc.
The hotel is also extremely clean...and the cleaners are also extremely friendly...every morning when you come out of your room to go to breakfast you are sure to see her working away....and give you a big smile and a "Good Morning!"
As for the actual town OluDeniz....it is one of the most beautiful places ive ever been to!!! Theres also a good night life...and all the locals are so friendly! The hotel is just a short walk from the main strip full of shops bar and restaurants!
The blue Lagoon Beach and sugar Beach are also two beaches in OLuDeniz that i recommend you visit! Also there are a number of trips available in the local area that i reccommend you go on!! and paragliding over the Lagoon has got to be the main highlight of my time in Turkey!!
I love this hotel and this place so much that it was my fourth time there this year!
Strongly recommend this hotel for all!!!

Scotland
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Travelled with wife and 3 kids:
Location - spot on, 5 min walk into town, 20 mins to lagoon

Room - basement room (not damp or smelly like other reviews), spotlessly cleaned, cleaner was lovely

Hotel staff - not the most helpful, have experienced worse but have also experienced very much better in Turkey.

Dogs - 2 alsations that roam about, sleep mostly but saw on one occasion the younger one trying to bite someone (more than once) on the way down to town. Hotel staff said he'd been a bad boy! For me, its only a matter of time before he goes for a child, time for the injection I think!!

Pool - talking of injections, I had to have 2 injections and my family had boxes of medication to get rid of ear infections. Now the hotel will tell you its the cleanest pool in Olu Deniz, but far too many people had infections for that to be true. 4 members of my family had it, I also know of 2 others who had to have injections to get rid. When I went to the doctor he asked if I was staying at the Turquoise. Simple rule - wear earplugs - the chemists on the strip are full of them. The pool was full of people with earplugs!

Sunbathing at the pool and gardens - there is a lovely grassed area for overspill from the pool - be warned though about being moved by hotel staff to accommodate Turkish weddings! Its not a case of being asked to politely move, the staff come along and remove your umbrella and if you stay you will be told you will be removed.
They also move you for turkish nights on the grass, and also bbq's around the pool. I've been going on holiday for 20 or more years and never had this happen to me! Actually quite entertaining, as long as you are not being moved yourself. Also meat was uncovered for a good while before the bbq, covered in flies and wasps. And we were asked why we weren't going to it!

Entertainment - during the mornings Emre organised water polo, then maybe a pool game, then in the afternoon you had the water gym and then water basketball. All good fun expect my oldest boy who is 13 was not allowed to participate because he was too young - only for a couple of Turkish boys to get a game who were obviously a few years younger than mine! All in all, I would say its lacking entertainment for teenagers, they are basically left to fend for themselves on a 50 year old pool table and 2 table tennis tables - at one point all the teenagers were told they were not even allowed to play with them and were removed from the area! Good crowd of teenagers who were never any bother - Scots, English and Dutch mostly, all got on really well.

The young girl did a great job with the younger ones, but be warned, nothing for teenagers (or games for women for that matter, I think once in the fortnight Emre let the ladies play water basketball on their own).

So all in all, its a nice place, could be made very much better though. Love Turkey!

We were B&B, breakfast was ok, usual fayre!

Restaurants - lots of great restaurants, Ottamans was superb, Secret Garden was great.

Jeep safari was a brilliant day - but be prepared to get absolutely soaked!

Paragliding - don't eat beforehand, every chance it won't stay in your stomach. But, what an experience, so glad I did it, but not sure if I'd do it again. And take a camera, I got some brilliant shots of the town and lagoon!

To finish - would I go back to Turquoise - no way, there are far better hotels out there!