“Absolutely wonderful”

Ranked #15 of 103 Hotels in Oludeniz
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Absolutely wonderful”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The hotel is well kept and has a good range of facilities. Staff are friendly and very helpful. Kids club is absolutely fabulous and the entertainment staff are second to none. Rooms are spacious and clean and equipped well. All inclusive meals provided are full of choice and well presented and good range of choice.

Going back in 2013

• Liked — All round excellent facilities
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank TandCenterprise2010

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed here last year, the grounds are beautifully kept and the staff are lovely and welcoming.
We really enjoyed the film nights that were put on too.

The food, some days flies we're buzzing around which put me off and the beds in the rooms were like sleeping on concrete they were that hard.

All in all it was ok

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ClaireNotts1
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed here for 8 nights in April 2012 , the only downside for me was 2 big smelly dogs as you entered the reception area they seemed fine at first and staff said they were very friendly, it did annoy me when u go for dinner and deside to eat outside that the dogs would be there under your feet. also on day 5 one of the dogs snapped at a little child that totally put me off my whole holiday as had my 15 month old daughter with me.
Apart from this hotel was brilliant, great friendly staff nothing's to much for them to do and fantastic with kids.
All the staff and cleaners were so friendly and even though people say the food was ok I thought it wasn't but then again I am very fussy with my food one thing I did enjoy is the snack bar through the day was my favorite and my daughters spaghetti bolognaise, burgers, chips etc.. available from 11-5.
i big dogs when i found out about them but i can honestly say they don't even bother with you.
I wasn't too keen on the rooms to be honest, but they were basic and clean ok just to put your head down at night we was never incur room. Air con worked brilliantly and the bathroom was very good.
The cleaners were cleaning every morning, all outside the rooms and made there way to clean inside rooms n did a very good job. fresh towels always put in every day. I tipped them at end of holiday as such hard workers and did an amazing job.
The park they had for the kids was very brill one of the workers named april was very very good with my daughter she would take ger and play with her for hours in the park etc so good with children.
Pool was absolutely freezing, you had to jump in otherwise there was no getting in!!
Entertainment wasnt all that hardly any mind u i was here end of april and was only just going into session although plenty of bars in olu deniez one sports bar so friendly there andlovely large cocktails if u sing 2 songs on karaoke u get a cocktail free bargain!
There's a free bus what picks u up outside the hotel and takes you directly to the lagoon, seahorse beach. it was beautiful down there. But beware I came across a snake lol put me straight off.
Couldn't ask for a hotel in a better location.. right on the main strip n just a little walk down to the beach where we spent most of our time lots of things to do and bars to drink, also a lovely steak house about pricy but so so worth it its amazingly good food.
We are defiantly going to be coming back but later on in year for more entertainment and more things open. Overall very good holiday and met some wonderful friends x
All in all

Room Tip: We had a groundfloor room but our friends had a pool view balcony room which was far more better and...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Marcus M
London
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Visited Olu Deniz in September 2011 and had an amazing time, the resort is lovely with a great variety of bars and restaurants, and we didn't get hassled too much by shopkeepers as I had heard bad things from other visitors to Turkey.

The Turqouise hotel had recently undergone some refurbishment work, the reception area is lovely, grounds clean and bright with lovely greenery.

The standard rooms had all been refurbed, unfortunately the family rooms has not so these were a bit dated and tired.

The food was wonderful, particularly on the BBQ evenings, with some great entertainment and children were very included. The a la carte restaurant was lovely and very reasonably priced.

Anna, the guest relations lady, is wonderful and really bends over backwards to sort out any issues, she is an absolute star. We will definitely return to the Turquoise in the future.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a refurbed room (if they are not all complete yet)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Jodie-lee1985
west midlands
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stopped here for a week in Sept 2012, throughly enjoyed our stay.
Food was ok as my husband never seems to eat when we are away only when we go out but even he found something to eat. Our room was masive and the bathroom was, wish my own at home was the same size.
Even through we were by the dining room we never heard any voices in the early mornings and never heard any noise late at night from people coming in.
Lovely hotel and would love to visit again!!

Room Tip: the room we had on the ground floor by the dining room was massive, two of us and there was a double...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank sheilasmith33
nr Rochdale Manchester UK
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed at the Turquoise from 20th April for 12 nights and had a great time.
Room was on first floor with a balcony overlooking Pool and Bar not sure of room number but it was in the block nearest the Ampitheatre, did not suffer any noise as the Room door and bathroom were nearest the ampitheatre. Rooms were serviced daily and wet towels replaced if left on floor. Large wardrobe with safe, Fridge used for water, Plenty of power points in room, Light switches and power outlets all firmly fixed. Air-con didnt use but available. TV one english news channel.
Food. Breakfast- Tea Coffee squash water Salads eggs boiled scrambled every day and chef doing ommelettes pancakes fried eggs to order fresh loaves of bread sliced in basket rolls simit (spicy seeded Bagel like) many cheeses some wrapped like Primula others ready sliced and portioned butter and or margarine in little plastic tubs Honey and several types of jam (cherry / orange strawberry ++++ ) Honey. Cereals cornflakes etc and mix it yourself meusli.
Lunch. Hot dish Chicken casserole chips or mash hot veg and masses of salads.There were sweets like creme caramel and wide variety of fruit salad and jelly.
Dinner Choice of two soups then two or three main dishes one vegetarian potatoes chips or mash several hot veg dishes Lots of mainly veg salad. good choice of sweets Wine and beer

Bar- friendly and quick service Beer and local spirits, Brandy was quite good.
Snack bar- served burgers chips Pide (turkish Pizza) and more all day.
Tea and coffee at pool bar all day
Pool good size but cold in april! Sun loungers nice but get taken early.
Good enough to repeat visit Booked for same time 2013
Ian

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank IanK1942
Sheffield
Reviewed January 4, 2013

There are many positive things to write about the Turquoise hotel, but the three positives that stand out the most are the quality and choice of food at breakfast, the location and the gardens.

Starting with food (my favourite topic whether on holiday or not). My wife and I only ate food at the hotel at breakfast time so I cannot comment on the food for lunch and dinner. The choice of food for breakfast was nothing less than staggering, and always piping hot, and the chef aught to be complimented not only for his or her creativity but also the high standard of cooking. It was cooking at its very best. The choice of food included boild, fried and scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, tomatoes, hash brown, toast, choice of preserves, choice of fruit juices, fruit and, believe it not, olives. There was a lot more to choose from but because there were so many, I have forgot what they were.

The large enclosed restaurant never really got full and it always felt like a relaxing place to eat. Perhaps this was something to do with the vast roof expanse, which had some of the largest timber trusses I have ever come across, and the timber stauncheons supporting part of the roof were of Biblical proportions. The self-service area was always busy but never at anytime did I feel uncomfortable or rushed when spooning hot, wholesome food on to my plate from the huge array of hot plates and bain maries.

The location of the hotel is nigh near perfect, situated at the foothills a mountain with its craggy cliff, with huge boulders jutting out, and interspersed with grass, shrubs and bracken. And throughout the day paragliders could be seen gently floating down from the mountainside to the beach in Olu Deniz. What an amazing location.

The gardens were just as impressive as the location; perfectly manicured lawns with swaths of flowers of every colour imaginable dotted around the gardens, and red and purple bougainvillaea clinging to the sides of villas, and small trees sprouting flame-coloured leaves and flowers, and many with ripe fruit. A gardeners dream if ever I saw one.

Our room was on the very top floor of a block of villas, situated in the eves with a small balcony facing the mountains, which is exactly what I asked for. Most days we saw many small herds of mountain goats, with their kids in tow, jumping fearlessly from one precarious position to another, running up the almost vertical cliffs of the mountain as if they were on a flat playing field. At other times we saw a tortoise and dozens of jays, a beautifully coloured bird, they appeared much larger and prettier than those found in the UK.

At first I found the low ceiling with its three sloping sides a little off-putting but within a matter of 24 hours we got to like the quirky configuration. Though I have to admit that I did bump my head a few times when getting in to the bath and when shaving, forgetting how low the ceiling really was. The circular bed was the cause of much debate between us both and we could never decide whether we like it or not. But probably not, but it was comfortable and a bit of a novelty.

The lovely lady who looked after our room did a smashing job keeping our room clean and tidy, and she made sure she replaced our bath and hand towels every day, even though it wasn't necessary.

The pool was very popular as the hotel attracts a very high proportion of families, and unless you get up early you will find it near impossible get a sun-bed. This didn't bother us unduly as we like to go for walks and swim and general mess about in the lagoon in Olu Deniz.

Other things you might want to know.
It's about 10 to 15 minute walk to the beach from the hotel. There are a number of places on the road to the beach where you can change sterling in to lire. There are a couple of nice eating places on the road to the beach, one on the left and one on the right about halfway down. There is a particularly nice place to eat and where you will get a good deal. From the hotel take the first right and make your way to the main Olu Deniz to Hisonaru road, turn left there and go down to the bottom, almost to where the beach is and it is on the left. Try not to be put off by its location; it's a bit shaded in this part of the road. It is run by two young guys who couldn't be more helpful - and friendly. The food is good and you don't pay the earth for it either.

Would I stay at this hotel again? Yes, at the drop of a hat. This is a beautiful hotel in every respect. I, and my wife, cannot fault it.

What to do:
Take a bus from the sea front in Olu Deniz to Hisaronu (about two lire, or about 80p, each way). It is an attractive village during the day but, I understand from my daughter, it gets a bit noisy in the evenings. More suited to teenagers than mature couples. You can get a good lunch or a late breakfast from many cafes and restaurants for a lot less than you would pay in Olu Deniz.

You must visit the lagoon. The public side is nice but we found the private beaches (reached by a not-so-busy road on the opposite side to where the private entrance part is) a whole lot better as these beach areas provide good, comfortable eating places and first class facilities, i.e., comfy sun beds, clean toilets and showers and good cold and cooked food served by friendly staff. Price wise, about the same as that for the public area. On the journey look for tortoise and lizards. If you look carefully, these can be found in shaded, damp areas.

I would normally recommend a particular restaurant but on our last trip a lot of changes had taken place. Where once you could pause to look at a restaurant without any harassment, but now the opposite is the case. Take the Chinese restaurant nearest to the Turquoise hotel (can't remember the name) for an example. The last time we stayed in Olu Deniz you could glance the outside menu without any bother, nobody trying to drag you in. The food was authentic, of sorts, and good, not only in size and quality but also in price. But on this visit, I never saw a sole eating in the restaurant. And the guy standing to the entrance of the establishment was pain the neck in his efforts to get us to cross the threshold. This is very much the same for most of the eating places in Olu Deniz. There are, however, a few that don't hassle you, and where you can get a decent meal. So not all is doom and gloom.

Just one other thing. I wrote this review (and one for the Hotel Pirat in Kalkan - it was a two-centre holiday) shortly after returning from Turkey in June 2010 but forgot to post it on TripaAdvisor. It wasn't until a few days ago that I accidentally came across it (4 January 2013). I mention this so as not to mislead any reviewer as the hotel may have altered since I was last there. Though I feel sure Olu Deniz remains just the same as my last stay there.

Room Tip: A room with a mountain view, if you like that better than a beach view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple