“Very Good Hotel”

and 1 more site!
Marcan Resort Hotel
Ranked #43 of 102 Hotels in Oludeniz
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here during the period 22 May to 3 June. In the title, I have said that this is a Very Good Hotel. However, just to clarify, when we booked this hotel back in February through Thomas Cook, it was in their brochure as new for 2013 and was provisionally classed as a 4-star. At the time of booking, it had been downgraded to 3-star. The rep said at the time that this was down to the fact that the hotel would have just been built for the beginning of the season and would require time to build its reputation as a 4-star.
So, as a 3-star it is a Very Good hotel. As a 4-star it is a Good hotel. A previous reviewer said they had seen it classed as a 5-star. I don't think so, otherwise someone is taking a liberty.
I am going to try to keep this review as brief as possible as most points have been covered in earlier reviews. As a brand new hotel there are going to be problems but at the same time there are lots of positives.
POSITIVES:
- Brand new hotel, brand new furniture, clean and unstained.
- Rooms spacious enough but not huge.
- Beds comfortable.
- WIFI in rooms after the technician had been called in to sort out lack of connection.
- Bathrooms very good. Showers excellent.
- Staff, most of them excellent and very hard working.
- Restaurant mostly indoor with verandah for alfresco. Probably 80/20% split.
- Food is in the whole very good. Excellent selection of salads for lunch/dinner but will have to up their game for the main dishes which consist of chicken, beef, liver and fish (repetitive).
- Snack bar open 2-5 very good.
- Sufficient sunbeds around the pool.
- Pool very good size.
- The 2 x entertainment staff try very hard and can't be faulted.
- Close to the main resort of Olu Deniz which has a nice vibe to it. Much nicer than Hisaronu.
NEGATIVES:
- Cleaning generally ok but occasionally flat surfaces not wiped down and/or floors swept properly in the bedrooms.
- In Block C, each time we initially walked into our room there was a smell of sewage which quickly disappeared if you left the front door and the verandah door open to allow a through draft. Maybe a minor issue with the plumbing.
- Occasionally, the music around the pool can be way too loud. Draw it to the attention of the Duty Manager.
- Gym. For the fitness fanatics amongst you don't expect a massive gym. It has 2 x treadmills, 1 x cycle machine, 1 x rowing machine, small selection of dumbells, 3 mats and 2 x large soft balls.
- Presently no spa.
- Some fixtures and fittings still not fitted (eg, lights etc).
- £10 per week to use the safe - outrageous.
- Alcohol - very weak. Don't get me wrong we weren't there to get drunk but you like to know that if you have paid for AI that you are getting decent strength drinks.
- The speakers for the music at the pool are closest to Block D, so I would avoid. In fact, I would say that Blocks A and B would be quietest but can't guarantee that.
- Check out at midday even if you are not flying until the early hours of the following morning. Downside is that there is nowhere to change and freshen up before leaving and nowhere to store luggage. We ended up paying an extra £45 to keep the room until midnight although this is unlikely to be normally available as the hotel is fully booked.
- Call to Prayer every morning at 4.40 without fail. Lasts approximately 5 minutes.

Those are most of the points that I think most people would be concerned about. The staff work very long hours and for the most part will go out of their way to as helpful as possible. Unfortunately, a couple of the staff on the reception, Ilkay and Gokhan, are leaving or have already left which is a shame as they were exceptionally efficient. The girl Didem who works behind reception on the daytime needs to learn a lot about customer service. Again all the bar staff and catering staff work long hours, 14 hours plus in most cases, and seemed to be there EVERY day.
Although, they have recently got some Kids' playstuff and there are the water slides which only operate for an hour twice a day, I don't think that this would be a great hotel for kids. It doesn't have a kid's club and isn't really geared up to entertain them. So it would be up to parents to keep them entertained.
We would happily go back to this hotel and for what we payed for 2 weeks AI with Thomas Cook (£1160) for end of May we thought that we got value for money IMO.

Room Tip: Choose A or B Block and an upper floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank EdinburghCabbie

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Hotel and staff were very good. This hotel has a lot of problems with some room unfinished and tools left around which is not good with children around. Short of toilet rolls,room towels and pool towels all the time. In the restaurant the food selection was poor, we eat out most of the time. When leaving hotel early for excursions there was no breakfast available. On our early morning arrival we asked if we could get a coffee the answer was no.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank Angela B
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I usually avoid all-inclusive hotels like the plague but saw the artist impressions of the resort and booked it, as the price was really very reasonable so we decided to take a chance and I am glad we did. We went 30th May to 6th June. It does not really look like the artist impression and I was quite disappointed to see the finished photos before we left for our holiday. It is certainly not five stars as someone suggested but I have to say they must be doing something right as we both had an absolutely fantastic time! I was imagining the place would be full of drunks but it wasn’t like that at all. Everyone was just relaxing and enjoying themselves but on the whole were respectful and considerate. There were some loud women shouting two nights and this woke me up about 2am but is wasn’t really a big problem, nor was the Mosque. At least it reminds you that you are in a different country!
Don’t get me wrong when you read the negatives, it was great. As usual I will give the good and the bad though.
The music around the pool was great albeit a little noisy if you are sitting next to the pool bar and the music was sometimes a bit explicit too if you had children with you. There weren’t many children there though saying that at this time of year however. There were enough sun beds for all I felt as I think the hotel was pretty much full. They did get bagged early on but no worse than other hotels and there were still enough available most of the day if you wanted one then. Don’t get me wrong the hotel is not too noisy (depends where you sit) but there isn’t really quiet anywhere to go either. The pool where the water slides is usually is the quietest place to sunbathe (they only switch the 2 water slides on twice a day for a half an hour or so). Water slides were great fun and used mainly by adults. I did not expect to go on these but it was a great laugh!
I was surprised that one corner of the pool did look dirty 2 days running. Where we were sitting there was a thick layer of scum just at the corner but it seemed to disappear later on in the day.
Our room was great although we got ground floor and also found the wi fi did not work in the room or anywhere in the hotel for that matter. My husband asked for a code and it still did not work. He just gave up trying.
Another slightly annoying thing was the shortage of towels in our room. They seemed to be being rationed. We wondered if it was because our room was last to be cleaned, as we had none at all left for us one day and had to go and get some. The maid could only give us 2 bath towels and said they had ran out and they would deliver some later but they never did. On a couple of occasions this happened and also I felt he room could have been cleaner too. The balcony was quite dirty on arrival, which surprised me given how clean everyone has said the hotel is in other reviews. The rooms do not have mini bars, just fridges. It didn’t bother us and I wish I had left my kettle at home as I didn’t need it at all. I didn’t really need my hairdryer either to be honest.
The food was much better quality than people are describing on here we thought, not bland at all. Choice was limited but there was enough choice. The real issue for me was the flies, as the food was not covered up! I found this disgusting and off putting and I think they need to do something about that. This is my number one gripe. We were never ill though as we went early to lunch each day in the hope of getting something before the flies did! We used the water coolers all day at the pool bar and they are really useful. There are hot drinks such as cappuccino, latte, hot chocolate to be had. On an evening we switched to the cocktails, which were a little limited but the pina coladas are good I found. The girl serving me could not make a cocktail when I arrived but she had been trained by the time we left. The drinks are pretty good I felt there was not a vast choice but certainly there was enough (especially given the price we paid). The red wine was lovely.
There was a really friendly receptionist there when we arrived and he spoke perfect English. All the staff are great although once or twice at the pool bar they could be a bit off and you felt like a nuisance. I think they work very long hours so perhaps that is what that is about.
Entertainment at the hotel was not great on a night time – the music is really loud all around the pool in the evenings until about midnight and I do not think there is any room you would not hear it now as they have just moved the tables away from D block due to the number of complaints about the noise. They are now at the other end of the pool. Now it seems they are cranking up the volume so that the music can be heard at the tables where people are sitting at the other end of the pool so I do not see due to that how this has resolved the problem. Maybe the people who were in block D could comment better than I could on that. It seemed to me the noise had just been spread about a bit more that is all! I have to say it did not bother me but it may bother some folk. The only difference I could see is that the people in Block D will not have people talking outside of their room loudly at night.
The resort of Olu Deniz is my opinion has changed quite a bit. It is not nearly as chilled or romantic as it was in 2004. That was disappointing. I do like good nightlife but it is now becoming tacky, something I had not expected. This is no longer in my view the nice, bustling friendly upmarket resort it was. The shopping in Olu Deniz is still good but in my view a lot of the ‘genuine fake’ handbags really do look like cheap knock offs so do your homework before you go is my advice if you want one of these to avoid getting ripped off! There were some quite unpleasant characters trying to drag you into their bars and once or twice they got a bit nasty when we just said ‘no thanks.’ There is now a really loud hideous dancing bar in front of the lovely Captain Hooks restaurant making the ambience very different from what it was. The food is still really good there but sadly all I could hear when eating was thumping all around me as the different bars competed with one another. All the lovely beach bars with the beanbags seem to have disappeared completely too. I am unsure if we will be returning to Olu Deniz now due to the fact the resort has changed so much.
I have to say I emailed the hotel several times to request a quiet room with a high floor but never got a reply. We did get a quiet room in A block and not sure if this was due to my email or not as it was on a ground floor. It would have been nice to have received a reply even if it was to say they could not guarantee this request.

Don’t worry though, you will still have a great time in this hotel and need not worry about anything there. I am a bit fussier than most people on trip advisor are! The hotel manager seems to me to be listening to feedback and are sorting out the teething problems! Thanks Marcan Resort, I think all things said I would still recommend you. As I have said already we had a really brilliant holiday and it was excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Block A is close to the restaurant and furthest from the pool bar. All rooms will have some noise th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
15  Thank DiscerningG66
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My friend and I went for a weeks break here. As a brand new hotel there were a few details that could do with attention but on the whole we had a lovely time. The room was fine, with great aircon and a bathroom with a brilliant shower. The pool and bar area were very nice. The food was really good with a wide variety of delicious salads. The desserts weren't really my cup of tea but there was fresh fruit at every meal.

The staff were friendly and helpful and worked very long hours.

The hotel was ideally situated about 10 minutes walk from the beach and very close to the main Olu Deniz strip - so very handy for everything.

Our only bugbear with the hotel was that it did not have safe storage for our suitcases on the last day.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank cl0ve
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed at the Marcan resort for our first holiday in Turkey and were not disappointed. We were late arriving due to waiting for people who did not bother to turn u for transfer meant bar was closed and we had just missed snack but staff were welcoming and helpful showing us to our room in Block A facing the pool. The rooms are very modern and spacious and we had new bits arriving each day when we got back -a stool one day and bed runners the next but not a problem.Yes the mosque is close by but you get used to it and we enjoyed listening even at 5am.Towels were available for around the pool and we only had one day when they had run out. Pool area great and beds were always available even when we had been out for day still got one when we got back, may not be the case when hotel is full, especially when some guests had put towels on beds first thing and did not return until late afternoon! Restaurant was very clean and staff helpful, food was a little repetitive but very nice l loved the salads and fresh cooked omelettes and pancakes on a morning. Shame the pizza chef left heard they were very good hopefully its sorted and they have a new one now.Spa was unfinished but we went to one recommended by rep which was next door at Montebello and it was lovely. Entertainment staff were great, worked hard day & night, and were very helpful even checked my dvd of paragliding for me.The hotel is a nice walk from the beach and strip so you have the best of both worlds. Laying around the pool watching the paragliders made us want to try and wow what an amazing experience!!! Recommend Sugar's Boat for a lovely day out with amazing food- we booked through Gravity.On the last day our transfer was late but staff did not mind phoning and chasing it up 3 times a no cost for us. Spoke to some people who had experienced problems but we had no complaints and we would stay again. We wish the Marcan all the best for the season.

Room Tip: Block a room 1309 nice view of everything
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank 763TRACEY121
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Beautiful new hotel with lovely rooms, pool area, great salads and good service but small things to address - ie more pool toilets, disappointing burgers, some repetitive food. Not much to eat for kids.

• Stayed: May 2013
8  Thank Acberry1
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from staying at the Marcan Resort for a week. I really enjoyed my stay, the hotel is lovely, stayed in a family room and it was massive, rooms were cleaned everyday to a good standard with fresh towels provided. The staff were very helpful and friendly especially the animation team who provided great entertainment, Serkan was lovely (from the Ninjias) ☺. Food was good (I had no complaints) it was very much the same each day but when you go all inclusive what do you expect but the staff did listen to what people had to say and the food was improving with variety each day. Pool bar very good, variety of drinks provided all day even cocktails which you don't normally get when going all inclusive. The 5am wake up call with the mosque each morning wasn't that bad after the
second day you tend not to notice it. Overall I had a great holiday and would definately return, I think there has been the odd hick up with the hotel having not been open long but as I say the staff listened to all comments and suggestions and this will be an amazing hotel when the little things have all been addressed.

• Stayed: May 2013