“Very good for relaxing, less for Antakya visit”

Ottoman Palace Antakya
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Antakya
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This hotel is really situated in the middle of nowhere (although some holiday villages seem to be built around it), but not especially well indicated from every direction to approach it. It is situated outside the city, and given the price paid it is also a bit a pity not to use the hotel and its facilities. They are very important with a large spa/thermal ground, large fitness, many sauna, massage rooms, and swimming pools (for families, men, etc). Diner and breakfast are in a large buffet format with a good choice and quality, food being a mixture of Tukish and more Syrian influences. Hotel is really like a palace with wide corridors, huge room, and ample amenities in the bathroom (but no bath, just very large shower).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BelgianInIstanbul
AntakyaOttomanPalace, Halkla İlişkiler Müdürü at Ottoman Palace Antakya, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2016

Dear guest;
Thank you for staying at Güngör Ottoman Palace Otel and taking the time to write a review. We are sorry to hear that you had a disappointing experience. We value your feedback as we work to improve our guest experience.We hope that you will give us another opportunity to impress you in the future.

There are newer reviews for Ottoman Palace Antakya

Reviewed August 26, 2012

My husband and I have stayed twice at the Ottoman Palace and we will certainly return.

The first time, we chose a small suite on the 6. floor, which is a bedroom with separate living room. The living room has no windows and a tiny flat screen whereas the larger one is in the bedroom, a bit strange. Maybe it would suit a family with small kids and the kids beds can be set up there.

We also took a 'regular' room on the 7. (top) floor that had a balcony. I loved sitting on the balcony watching the sunset. The balcony has movable window panes, a large wicker/glass table and two wicker chairs, which is nice too and useful for drying bathing suits. The balcony offers complete privacy.

Positives:
+All the rooms we saw are spacious and the bathrooms are big enough too.
+The views from all the rooms is lovely: green fields, some houses and view on the mountains (from some).
+ Clean, nice smelling towels and plush bathrobes as well as simple slippers.
+ Best breakfast buffet we have ever experienced. Even during super peak Eid hoildays ( after Ramadan when hotel was filled to the brink with kids and wedding parties) staff was able to handle 'onslaught' of hungry and picky mouths.
+ Plenty of staff and we were always able to communicate somehow, with a smile, gestures, writing things down or they would find someone who speaks English, Arabic or German.
+ Cushy prayer mat and qibla direction.
+ Good A/C or heating unit.
+ Easy parking
+ Wonderful, segregated by gender, spa area with huge swimming pool ( indoor and outdoor, though outdoor is naturally mixed), several hot mineral pools, steam room, sauna, turkish bath with excellent 'scrubbing' service, good massage services ( medical, relaxation, etc.), pedicure, hair stylists. There is even a gym, though I think it is mixed.
+ Many possibilities to go for long walks straight from hotel.
+ Best value for money in this area.
+ Even when hotel was full, it was fairly quiet and we had good nights sleep.
+ There are recycling bins at elevators and you can choose how often you need bed linens and towels changed. I love that!
+ Good location as you are quickly downtown ( hotel even has their own shuttle service which was great before we knew our way around with own car) and good proximety to airport and highway to mountain areas Belen and for exploring Iskenderun and other areas.

Negatives or things that could be improved:
-The decor in all the rooms is gaudy to our tastes: lots of swirls and gold leaf wood but it is clean, not stuffy. The blanket is not enough for me, I like a warm blanket so we ask for an extra and I double mine. The light blanket comes in handy during the hot and humid summer months though: my husband loves it as it is airy. We just turn the air conditioner up to 27 and it stays warm enough. However, would be nice to have a warmer option in the wardrobe.
-There are no proper blackout curtains so it gets quite bright after 7am. On the other hand, this saved us from missing breakfast, which is something not to be missed.
- Showerhead was not in best order or of high quality and there was mold along the bottom of shower door railing. I understand it is quite humid in the summer but this could be cleaned better.
- Us bothered the art work in the room. We felt it was not appropriate as is the spa ad on the door, both showing nakedness.
- The drinking glasses were not changed, even though it was clear they had been used. I asked for fresh ones and of course they were immediately replaced.
- When the hotel was full, it took quite a while to get up/ down on elevator. There are 4 or 5 elevators and they get quite warm and stuffy in the summer. This was fine in cooler months though.
- Can be a bit tricky to book during peak times when nothing is avaliable through booking.com, etc. Ring and ask and be prepared to fax or scan and email some forms as per Turkish tourism regulations.
- You must be very careful driving on the country roads around hotel. Narrow, not two ways and big cars race towards you, mostly on your side. Occasional cows, donkeys, ducks, dogs, cats, etc. stray onto the street. We had many near misses, especially with delivery vehicles coming back from the hotel. Surely, the government will expand even these roads ( we are amazed how much improves very quickly between visits) but meanwhile, be alert!

Room Tip: It depends on travelers' preferences. With kids, maybe lower levels are better so they can go up...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ibn_Batutas

Reviewed May 9, 2012

The Ottoman Palace is maybe located in an inconvenient place if you only want to visit Antakya center but it is worth the distance (only 15 km.)... The hotel is surrounded by green fields (it was a treat to watch a horse and her baby from my window) which is a relief after the hectic traffic in the center of Antakya.
The hotel is impeccably clean; you find everything you expect from a 5 star hotel. In addition they serve an AMAZING BREAKFAST with LOCAL delights- which is quite unusual for a 5 star hotel- as well as American style pancakes!. I had dinner not in the hotel but in the sister Havuzbası Restaurant during my last visit and it was definitely the best food I had in Antakya.
The thermal facilities are excellent. Naturally because it is a thermal hotel, the age average of the guests is high! I would recommend this hotel especially to foreign guests because the majority of the guests are turkish and it is fun to see a cross section of the Turkish/Anatolian society.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tasotel A

Reviewed October 27, 2011

I visited Antakya in mid October 2011. Though I spent very little time in the hotel I was very pleased with my stay. The staff were very polite and helpful, rooms and room service excellent and you have free wireless Internet all over the hotel.I did not have any other meal than breakfast but the breakfast was wonderful.

• Stayed: October 2011

Reviewed September 20, 2011

The location of the hotel is a little bit out of the way from the main city which was not a problem at all.

Reception staff were kind and friendly and did a quick check in.

The room was very spacious offering a classical Turkish style atmosphere. The bed wasn't as comfortable as it looked but was clean. The blanket was not a duvet cover and looked like a blankets which you see in jail movies which was strange.

The bathrooms were not as good as the room I must say. The shower was was a hand held shower head with low water pressure and the water temperature kept on fluctuating from hot to cold and vice versa, totally out dated and small and not smack clean.

Breakfast and Dinner buffet were absolutely fantastic with a massive variety Turkish cuisine. The vegetables were extremely fresh and think they are outsourced from the local farms.

Room service was also very prompt and didn't have to wait long for my orders to arrive.

I had visited the thermal spa and had a Turkish bath which was very refreshing. The indoor pool was convenient for a quick swim in the morning and the outdoor pool was very nice and extremely huge.

I would not recommend this place if you do not large crowds of people during dinner or if you are looking for night time entertainment.

Price was great for value

I would definitely go back if I have any upcoming business trips

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank lost_dogg

Reviewed June 3, 2010

The hotel managemement was terrible. They lost may bag and their behaviour was unbelieveable. The room was not clean, they did not change the bed sheet, there was lots of hairs on it. The bath drain down was not work good, my shower was in a small lake!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
6  Thank cucim

Reviewed May 25, 2009

This hotel has what it takes to repell its guests even before you stay there. Wonder how? Here is the bizarre performance: I decided to stay there in September 2009 which happens to be Ramadan Feast. I reserved a double room in April 09. During making the reservation they realized it coincides with holiday time, but since their prices for that period is not available, they said they'll charge the current rate and asked for a downpayment. In May, they contacted me saying although still the rates are not available, they would charge some new rate (that includes extra charges for the artists to be arranged.) and asked if I agreed. Amused with their professional (!!!) manner, I cancelled the reservation and decided to share this wonderful (!!!) experience with Tripadvisor friends. The best part was I got back my downpayment (I really had doubts). So the moral of the story is don't go there. I do not want to imagine what other creative problems they could come up with while staying.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gumerzeci

Dear guest;

Also consider these accommodations in or near Antakya
Anemon Antakya Hotel
#2 of 21 in Antakya
Erzin Isos Termal
Erzin Isos Termal
#1 of 2 in Erzin

Been to Ottoman Palace Antakya? Share your experiences!