“The good, the bad and.. some recommendations”

Kempinski Hotel The Dome
Ranked #56 of 89 Hotels in Belek
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed here in September, my husband and I and our 1.5 year old son. We were immediately impressed with the exterior of the hotel, and on the inside the hotel is stylishly decorated (Fendi chairs in the lounge, thick rugs etc.) and comfortable. The only disappointment was the dining room Lale which looked out of style compared to the rest of the hotel. Our room was spacious and as for the entire hotel immaculately clean. The grounds around the hotel including the pool area were beautiful and well maintained. Again, everything was very clean throughout. Contrary to what I had read before on Tripadvisor, we did not have any issues with the staff and we found them generally very friendly and helpful when we asked for something (however they did not often spontaneously offer to assist etc.). In regard to the food we were quite staisfied as the choice was enormous and food was always fresh and tasty (we were all inclusive so we got to try it all). Mind you that although their all inclusive was not all inclusive as such, compared to some other hotels it was pretty complete.
Finally, we liked the live music at lale in the evening (piano).
Now the bad, unfortunately there always is. First of all we thought the beds were dreadfull. They were rock hard, in fact harder than a rock. Even my husband who likes a firm mattress was horrified. We couldn't stand it anymore so after two or more nights the staff had finally put in an extra softening layer of fabric on top which helped a bit but wasn't great (and too small for the size of the bed). So went we went home are backs ached! Equally uncomfortable were the pillows, and there was no choice of pillow which i would have expected in this hotel.
Also disappointing was the price of babysitting services which the hotyel offers. I read on Tripadvisor how child-friendly this hotel was, so I expected some service in this regard. Instead the hotel charges 20 euro per hour and per child for babysitting which is ridiculously high. And in the downstairs shop you can buy a small pack of pampers ... for 35 euro!! I do not call this child-friendly. I also did not get any information about the possibility of special meals or formula etc. so no idea what the hotel offers.
Overall we rate the hotel somewhere between good and very good.
I would recommend management to review their services towards families with young children. We had booked way in advance through a travel agent so the hotel must have known around which time we were due to arrive (noon). Our son was very tired from the journey so it would have been nice if our room had been ready when we arrived. Instead we had to wait almost two hours, whereas the hotel was practically empty. Not a very good start of the holiday. Moreover, the prices Kempinski charges for babysitting need to be reviewed, and Kempinski should inform families with young kids of facilities/services upfront. For example; we only got a changing pillow for the baby after 3 days when we were tired of changing diapers on the bed and asked for it. Why not inform people upon check-in that they can get baby tioletries, special meals etc. instead of leaving people to figure it all out themselves?
On a final note, we would have appreciated it if the hotel had informed us upfront of the wedding that was to take place in the hotel that week (including around 250 people).Although we were not much inconvenienced by the event, it did make us feel like the odd ones out as 80% of the people stayinbg in the hotel that week were part of the wedding party. It would have been nice to know upfront, as a courtesy to guests, .. and maybe we would have chosen to come another time.

Room Tip: If you are thinking of booking a room, I recommend that you book a room at the backside (golf view...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Ine J
Kempinski_TheDome, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel The Dome, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Leuven,

On the onset, I would like thank you for taking the time to complete the survey, providing us invaluable feedback from your last stay in our hotel.

I deeply regret that you have had an less than memorable experience at our hotel.

I have taken note of your comments, which I regard as very serious and would be more than happy to discuss them with you in detail at your earliest convenience. I can be reached at 0242 710 1300 extension 5001.

I sincerely hope, that even though your last experience was less than exceptional, you will give us the another opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Kindest regards

Reviewed September 7, 2012

One only needs to walk a half mile on the beach in either direction to realize that The Dome is one of the nicer hotels on the strip around Belek. Here are my impressions after a four night stay in August of 2012.

The Positive:
The pool and property overall. It's huge and you will usually will find yourself with your own space in a huge section of the pool. You need to claim a lounge chair early as most people claim their spot before breakfast, leaving little available after 10am. The property in general is big with the hotel set back from the beach. There are wide open spaces everywhere so you never feel like you're crowded in a cattle call like some of the other all-inclusive type resorts.

For Families. They have a nice kids club, two kids pools (one with a small slide). A small bouncy house. Kids drinks are easy to come by -- shakes, juices, etc.

The spa. Just great. Lovely and new. Turkish bath, three saunas and a steam room. Most of it is complimentary. Locker room has everything. Funny thing is most people don't use it so it's nearly empty. Fitness room is ok.

The Ultra All-Inclusive. A great deal if you're up for a boozing vacation. There are several places to get free alcohol and most of it is included -- even the mini-bar in the rooms. A few things are not included but for the most part you can drink to your heart's content and drink high quality stuff. The food is average (more on that later) but abundant.

The Average:
The food. If you do the all-inclusive it's a pretty typical buffet situation. They do have a la carte restaurants but they're really not restaurants, just themed places from the same kitchen open a couple of days a week each. The breakfast buffet does have a great selection of baked goods and fresh carrot and orange juice good. Some decent salads at lunch. The do loosely themed nights at the buffet but it's hard to tell the difference between "Mediterranean" and "Caribbean" night. "barbeque" night left a bit to be desired and did "Tex-Mex". Unfortunately, they don't do typical Turkish food as a matter of course at the buffet. You have to wait for "Turkish" night and we missed it. Service at the buffet is hit or miss. One option is to eat the all-inclusive snacks in the main bar instead of the buffet. They have burgers, sandwiches, and salads. Some of it decent some of it not so good but it's nice that they offer it.

The rooms. A sea-view room is a must but even then the rooms are just ok, nothing special. The wireless is free but it's spotty and annoyingly you keep needing to log-in, multiple times a day.

The service overall. I was disappointed that we couldn't arrange a side trip to Perge or Myrna. They only have one third party operator and if they don't want to go you don't go. For whatever reason there were no trips available on a Saturday. Anyway, we decided to take an evening in Antalya which was great. But the resort has a flimsy relationship with the taxis for a round trip -- you never know for sure what to pay. Also, our driver was in cahoots with a jewelry store where he dropped us off and picked us up. It was nice to have a meeting spot but they kept us waiting in the jewelry store for 30 minutes before the driver showed up. Clearly a scam and not surprising in Turkey (they were nice at the store but still felt pressure to buy) but that shouldn't happen though a company like Kempinski. Some of the reception people were great and helpful while others were not so great or nice. Small things like housekeeping not replacing glasses in the room, no facial tissues in the room, housekeeping taking change off the desk (Hello? People usually tip at the end of the trip). These were small but again the shouldn't happen at Kempinski. But generally speaking the servers and staff were nice and professional and willing to help. Just not exceptional overall like other Kempinski properties -- some rough patches.

The Beach. Like all other resorts on the strip, The Dome has its own little slice of beach. The good thing is it's far less crowded than other resorts but it's still just ok with plastic lounge chairs and very little to offer in terms of activities. Beverage service at the beach was decent.

The Negative:
Sterility. The lobby is huge but it's a ghost town. Nothing happening. Some of it was just dark and shut down. The furnishings are ok but boring. I want to feel like I'm in Turkey. Too many neutral colors. Plus the Muzak in the lobby and lobby bar MUST GO. It gives it a really sterile feel.

Overall, we enjoyed our four nights at The Dome. It was relaxing and we didn't have any real problems with anybody. I felt that it was a decent value for the all-inclusive, not a great value but I didn't feel ripped -off. I think any more than five or six nights would be too many. I would have gotten bored with the property and the food. Had they offered more accessible side trips (Perge is quite close) or an easier way to get to and from Antalya, it would make staying there longer more enjoyable. As others have said, it's not quite up to snuff with what you expect from Kempinski but my complaints are not significant enough not to recommend it.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sasserscampbell

Dear NY,

Thank you for your time, to give feedback from your last stay with us, on this Forum.

I sincerely thank you for your contructive feedback and appreciation of our services and facilities. I and my team are very pleased that we were able to create memorable experiences for you, during your stay.

I have taken note of the areas of improvement and once again, thank you for pointing them out to us. Rest assured, they have been addressed in the meantime.

We look forward to welcoming you, in the not too distant future in our hotel.

with best regards

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We Stayed at the Kempinsky The last week of August 2012. The property is lovely, with beautiful sea views. The tents on the beach are good value and excellent service. BUT: The food is very disappointing, more like a diner than a 5 star hotel. plates are piled with soggy vegetables and rice or potatoes, fish fried in batter including the Sea Bass in the Italian restaurant.
They are also very proud of their nightly live band music and blare the music outdoors for everyone to hear up to 11pm, you can hear the music very loudly in your bedroom until they mercifully stop at 11pm. If you have the misfortune of going to the italian a la carte restaurant you will have opera and italian music blaring out on one side and loud turkish live band from the buffet restaurant. The resort is managed more like a Butlins when it come to food and music than as a 5 star resorrt.
The room stinks of cigarette smoke, bring air freshners or incense sticks. you will need powerful ones to overcome.
Any request you make for service in your room while you are out is never actioned, whether it is a request for water bottles or an iron and board or extra towels. you literally have to be in the room and call several times to get what you want. Water bottles are refilled in the evening service rather than the morning, so if you don't like a turn down service you have to call for water.
Front desk staff are very polite and efficient but scrutinise your bills for mistakes.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank rbubbles

Dear R,

Kindest regards

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed one week at the Dome at Belek. If you have stayed in other Kempinski hotels you may be disappointed by this one. The receptionist did not smile and seemed inconvenienced by our presence. At first he said he did not have our booking and tapped away at his computer for a while insisting nothing was there. Luckily I saved the voucher on my laptop, but he could find my GHA member detail. At first he said the accounts could not find our booking but later found it? Not once did he apologise or smile to welcome us to the hotel. The hotel exterior is nicer than its interior, fabulous pool area, the size of the hotel and layout reminds me of one of the mainland Chinese large hotels. We had a room facing the golf course which was very nice, spacious with all the usual facilities you expect from a Kempinski. The staff in general were very friendly but some were basically rude or unhelpful. Considering the size of the hotel you expect a wider choice of restaurants, but the food is good. Most people ate at the buffet. Don't waste money booking the cabanas you don't get any more privacy than the sunbeds with the umbrella and equally noisy no matter which space you occupied. Remember to bring your flipflops the sand is literally burning hot. The sea is usually calmer in the morning than the afternoon. Sadly all watersports incur an extra charge. If you are hiring a car from an outside agency other than from the hotel agent you will have to go outside the hotel to collect the car. Surely the hotel can relax their rules to help their customers. Does anyone know what the guys in the polo shirts hanging around the lobby and pool actually do? Lots of them but no idea what their job is, they look like bouncers at a sports club. On week was too long at this resort so maybe a shorter stay may be better.

Room Tip: Higher the better and away from the noisy pool and restaurant area if you are a light sleeper. In fa...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank meitsa

Dear Meitsa,

Thank you for taking the time for providing your feedback on this forum.

As much as I appreciate your candid feedback from your last stay, for our benefit to address the less than exceptional experiences you had, if you could send us a bit more detailed information, it would be very helpful, for us to improve ourselves in areas where we fell short.

I look forward to hearing from you. Please send me your feedback at gm.thedome@kempinski.com.

best regards

M.Nihat Tümkaya

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed 2 weeks at this hotel having stayed at other Kempinski hotels but to be honest the K. Dome is not as good as others in the chain. The hotel buildings and grounds are lovely but the little things that make a difference are missing.

We are currently Platinum Members of the Kempinski GHA Loyalty Program but this made little difference at this establishment. Granted we were given an upgrade to a junior suite at the corner of the hotel but that was it.

Unlike other K. Hotels there are no GHA Members "Local Experiences" to enjoy and since the hotel was miles from anywhere would have made a nice change to get a short trip out one day.

Breakfasts were average and the Omelettes made in front of you were not well cooked and several times had to ask the cook on duty to leave it cooking longer else the inside was served up still liquid.

The evening buffet costing £67.00 per couple changed to a different theme each evening but food was average and the plates supplied were always cold. Told the head chef about this but same problem every evening!!

At the Kempinski Ajman, fresh flowers are placed in the room every other day but not at the K. Dome. At the Kempinski Ajman, Platinum members can take advantage of complimentary sandwiches and wines etc., in the "K" Club, but such a facility does not exist at the K. Dome. At the Kempinski Ajman, complimentary hotel transport takes guests into town several times per day and since this hotel is so isolated would have been very popular with guests staying at the K. Dome.

Beach Cabanas could be booked for a fee and if you were very lucky enough to find one not booked could be used for free. The Cabanas themselves sound like a good idea but were really massive for two people and really the footprint of each take up too much space on this beach. There is also a row of beach umbrellas but these are too small to keep the sun off for long without having to move the plastic sunbeds back into the shade so we ended up at the pool which was OK providing you had an umbrella to help keep the sun off.

The Golf course attached to the hotel looked very nice but weather was so hot we gave that activity a miss.

All in all this establishment does not compare with other Kempinski Hotels we have stayed at but could easily be brought up to the same standard with a little thought and small cost.

Will be visiting Kempinski Ajman mid October and know I will be treated like a VIP in every respect while I'm there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mmiller555

Dear Miller,

We look forward to welcoming you, in the not too distant future in our hotel.

with best regards

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Beautiful lobby and common areas of this hotel. The beach and pool are also beautiful. Our room (junior suite) was also quite large with two rooms and a spacious bathroom. The food at the hotel was tasty with a different buffet theme every night, and an extensive breakfast buffet.
The staff were helpful when approached, but didn't go out of the way to make your stay special like at other hotels I've been to of similar quality. No one was unpleasant though, and most everyone seemed eager to help.

Drinks were especially pricey with soft drinks and water coming out at around 10YTL per can/bottle. But you're at an all-inclusive, and the nearest town isn't close, so they have you trapped.

One downside is that the other guests staying there could be a bit obnoxious (in the pool area all the chairs seem to be claimed with towels even when no one is in the pool or by it, and I once saw a Russian tourist float topless down the pool, then smoke a cigarette next to it while dumping her ashes in the water). But such things aren't dealbreakers.

Overall the hotel was very plush and relaxing and exactly what we were looking for. If you're in the area and looking for a luxurious beach vacation, its perfect.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank markk612
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Short and sweet. Beach, soft sand with a few pebbles at waters edge. Hotel decor and design is flawless: Fendi furniture everywhere, glass elevators with sea views, comtemporary ddecor, spotlessly clean, air con wound up. Service fantastic with no tipping required. Food amazing. Dont bother dining A La Carte as the buffet is the best i`ve seen and tasted, changes EVERY night! Pool the biggest and cleanest free form pool. 1.4 m deep, perfect. Gardens immaculate. Great drinks terrace with live music and Shisha. Quality guests, very cosmopolitan.You wont meet the manager but he appears every where and checks everything....very slick talented chap. For the money if you want a beach holiday anywhere in the med you cant beat this place. Golf courses are a bonus and visit Balek for snide watches and handbags but remember to ask to see the upstairs because thats where the good stuff is.

Room Tip: Sea view. Most rooms are identical.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family