“An high standard hotel..”

Ranked #54 of 94 Hotels in Belek
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I've booked the hotel for 10 days off to Turkey in October. After the reservation, I contacted the hotel by mail, asking for a airport transfer and special food for my little child. I found a nice and helpful girl, who organized everything for me. The communication was simple, although the answers were always in delay (after two days). The airport transfer was very expensive, but it was organized with a big car, with infant seat and all the needed comfort.

Arriving at the hotel, you are hit by the structure, nice and warm, somehow Moorish style, and the employers show you the hotel services with a quick tour while they take you to your room. Rooms are wide, maybe not the biggest I’ve been, but with all the comfort you may expect. A buffet restaurant is available all the evening, while you can have lunch near the beach; one of the three ‘a-la-carte’ restaurant is always available for dinner (Italian-asian-turkish style).
SPA is lovely, well kept, high standard services.. expensive, but you’ll be happy with what you get.
You have 5 swimming pool: the biggest one, outside pool, cool, 18° in October; a smaller child outside pool (cool as well), two inside pool, warmed water 24°, and one inside pool with hot salt water 30°, inside the SPA, used for thalassotherapy.

Beach is right in front of the hotel, with a lot of space and some Pagodas to relax in a cosy atmosphere.

Now as always, my good-bad-ugly

THE GOOD
Service: we asked for baby meal, and they prepare us the food everyday, following our indication. Food was served where we decided to eat, and it was prepared as asked. Other “snacks” for the child were available everywhere upon request (meshed fruit, milk, etc).
Food: the choice/quality of food was middle/high. Every evening you have different food types (Turkish, Asian, BBQ, Mediterranean, etc.), but not limited to this type (es: you can always find grilled steaks or fish), and you can choose within 6 /7 hot dishes: it is easy to find what you like within all these options.
Golf: definitely the best hotel option for golfers. Shuttle bus to/from their two Courses, special rates, booking service, a golf room for clubs.. Everything was perfect.

THE BAD
Communication: it is not easy to make you understood by hotel workers. Beside Turkish, they speak German, Russian and just as fourth language English. It means that if you speak just English, you may face problem with your requests. We had to use German, for example, many times during our holidays, mainly with dinner waiters. Sometime this can be frustrating.
Breakfast: if you love international breakfast, it is the place for you (wow, I’m still thinking about the fresh cooked bacon and eggs); but if you prefer continental food, you may be disappointed by the low choice you have (just a few pastries, small croissants, not high quality). It can be a lot better.
Food prices: everything is overpriced! The dinner buffet price is something you will not expect, and even if you choose a restaurant, you’ll pay more than 50 € with just a starter, a main dish and a glass of wine. 4 € for an espresso, 8 € for a tea. You can pay more in extras than for B&B accommodation.

THE UGLY
Clean: everything is shining, room maids works twice a day.. but I found some toys under the bed when I left, during the final checking in the room. Toys left from an old customer. It means nobody folded to clear under the bed.
Beach service: ok, we were not in pick season (October), and sea water was not so warm; but we were not expecting so few lawn chairs and beach umbrellas installed, and a not-clean beach, full of debris from night high tide. I would have expected more care to keep an high quality service also on the beach.
Night life: if you are going to stay in the hotel, play golf, go to the SPA and beach, relax, this is the place for you. Do not look for night life, for parties: the hotel is in the middle of golf courses, with other 20 hotels.. if you want night life, you have to travel to Antalya every night.. or choose another hotel there!

Probably this hotel will be placed in second position in my Best Hotel list. The quality of the service, and the ratio quality/price (if you don’t pay the full rack rate) is very interesting. Made for international customers, this hotel will give you what you expect from an high standard structure. A real paradise for golfers (2 property courses - start with Pasha, shorter and easier, finish with the Sultan, only PGA Course in Turkey), do not miss this hotel if you are going to take some days off to play golf there.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank Skiman

Reviewed November 7, 2011

We came to this hotel just for a one night stop-over, but loved it so much that stayed for longer.

The hotel is designed in multiple courtyards covered with gorgeously designed stained glass domes. Extensive swimming pools (inside and outside), very nice steam room, two saunas (dark and mood lighting), hammam, and of course full-blown spa. Very spacious room with ultra-comfortable bed, choice of pillows, sat TV, huge marble bathroom with separate shower and bath - all designed in light wood with Ottoman pattern and silver and gold accents. Turkish and classy.

Usually Turkish staff in hotels and restaurants is relaxed and casual. Here it looks like staff was trained in Switzerland - everyone works impecably, efficiently, without disturbing your stay. It was great to relax without having to endure stares and whereyoufroms.

The buffet restaurant has a big spread and new theme every night, and some a la carte restaurants. Chefs put a Turkish twist on most food and with some it works better than with other. There are several bars and the one close to reception has live music every night.

The beach is serviced, has cabanas, cocktail service, and very warm sea.

There was nothing wrong with this hotel that caught our eye (except maybe slight water damage on the wall dividing the indoor pool from outdoor one, but that's nothing). I would heartily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2011

When I write such a harsh review, I have to follow it up with why so I apologize for the lengthy description of our visit for 2 nights in late September. Management at the Kempinski Dome needs to look at and address the limited staff at their hotel and the lack of training of the existing staff. Kempinski Hotels wants to compete in a luxury 5 Star category but the service at this hotel has been the worst that we have experienced in some time. Very, very poor and often no service at all at this hotel.

We arrived at the hotel and we both thought it odd that there was absolutely no one when we pulled up under the portico with our car. There were vehicles left and no bellman to assist newly arriving guests or to park the cars. Bells galore should have been going off when we saw this. We arrived at 4:45 pm and would discover our room was not ready. We waited 45 minutes from the time we entered the hotel until we were given a room. Our room not ready at this time of day was not acceptable, and at no time were we offered another room or upgrade. Next problem was we were escorted to our room and after the grand tour we closed the door and waited and waited for our luggage. I found it unbelievable that our luggage did not arrive promptly after the considerable wait and inconvenience that we were caused. One would think that someone would have been hustling to send our luggage up to our room. I had to phone reception and it arrived shortly after.

A real disappointment is that there were only two evening restaurants to choose from. An ala carte restaurant which is a theme restaurant changed nightly & the second choice a buffet. We would have chosen the ala carte had there been any personnel at the restaurant or the appearance of someone cooking in the kitchen. We returned to reception and clarified that the restaurant was open and she said yes and walked us back to the restaurant. With her arrival one waiter appeared and we were told tonight's theme was Turkish and looking at the menu it was pricy. Having just had 3 weeks of Turkish food we had hoped for more from the Kempinski. There was one lonely couple dining in the far corner of the terrace - confidence was not instilled in having dinner at this restaurant. We chose the buffet as it was getting late (after 8:00) and there appeared to be no other options in the vicinity of the hotel. Service was absolutely terrible. We were seated and then the waiter proceeded to ignore servicing our table. We had to flag him to ask to order our wine; he then poured the wine once after it was uncorked, otherwise we poured our own wine; when we returned from the buffet our plates were not cleared so not once but twice, we cleared our own plates moving them to an empty table; the waiter never came to the table on his own for the entire evening other than to deliver menus when we sat down, we had to flag and ask for everything.

Finally the absolute worst customer service experience of the hotel was checking out. We were leaving for the airport and I phoned down 5 minutes before we left our room (wheeling our own luggage) requesting our car so it would be ready and pulled under the portico to load while I checked out. This is the service that one receives and expects at a luxury hotel but don't expect this service at the Kempinski Dome. As we walked to reception we could see our car was not brought around. At the reception desk there was a man looking after another couple and a young lady. I told her I was checking out and immediately indicated that I had phoned for our car and it was not outside. She said it would be coming. My husband took the luggage out to the portico and left it to return to say the car was not on its way. Meanwhile I asked her if I can check out as we need to get going. She said she had to wait for her colleague?? I was getting frustrated and did not understand why I couldn't be checked out and why our car was not brought around. She told me the car would be brought once I checked out and I said no that was not acceptable as my husband wanted to have the car loaded so that when I walked out the door, we could dash to the airport. It then became obvious that this young lady working at reception did not know "how to" check out a guest. Why is she working at reception when they don't have enough staff and she isn't trained?? We had to wait for her colleague to finish with the other guest to check us out. The hotel is so short staffed that there was only one fellow retrieving luggage from rooms in addition to retrieving guest vehicles (he had four rooms he was collecting luggage from). Checking out was ridiculous and having to wait for someone who knew how to check out a guest was inexcusable. I asked for the keys to our car and the location and she was reluctant to give me our keys. After realizing that I was becoming frustrated with the service or lack of she gave my husband the keys and he ended up running all over the property to the various parking lots to retrieve our own car to make it to the airport. Terrible, terrible service and I would not recommend this hotel.

The hotel property is very nice. Our room and bathroom were spacious, clean and the bed was comfortable. Unfortunately when service is next to nonexistent, it doesn't matter how nice the room, and how comfortable the bed. It's a beautiful property but it is so badly managed that if I'm so lucky to return to Turkey and specifically Belek, I won't be choosing the Kempinski.

9  Thank flymeaway2
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We have been to scores of beach resorts over the years. This setting, hotel and beach are second to none. First, the hotel (while a bit over the top) is magnificent. The service is superb. The breakfast and dinner buffets are truly extraordinary. The beach is clean, quiet, and well
situated with lounges and umbrellas. the pool is not to be believed. the cleanest, largest, most swimmable pool ever. I have never written a review for tripadvisor before. My wife is already
wondering when we can return. We would choose it over the french riviera any time, ditto hawaii, caribbean, spanish coasts.....and the airport is easy and accessible. this is a place not to be missed.

Reviewed September 30, 2011

This hotel was very nice. The pool is fabulous and the setting is lovely. However, the food is quite bad. It is catered to an international clientele, therefore the food was either bland or outright boring. They really need to fix this up. Contrary to the other reviewers, I do not believe that the staff are arrognat, they are just lacking in some English language training. Overall, we had a good time, but I won't be jumping on a plane to come back any time soon.

• Stayed: August 2011
4  Thank James D
KHTDMGMT, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel The Dome, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2011

Dear Guest (Xman123),

Thank you for taking the time to submit your valuable feedback on this portal, from your stay last August in our hotel.

It is my pleasure to note that barring your dissatisfaction over the food quality and choice, you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel.

As you correctly pointed out, we cater to a very International clientele, it is challenging to cater to everyone's needs to their fullest satisfaction, however, we keep trying and reinventing our ways, and feedback such as yours encourages us to even strive harder. I regret and apologize, that the food quality was not to your liking.

Indeed, English language skills do present a challenge in this part of the world, which is why we offer language courses to our team members, on a regular basis, and train them on conversational language skills. As your feedback points out, we still have work to do.

Although you mentioned to the contrary, being an optimist, I sincerely hope we will be able to welcome you back to Kempinski Hotel The Dome, some day.

Thank you once again, for your kind feedback.

best regards

Reviewed September 20, 2011

I must confess that the mixed reviews shared by many here on Trip Advisor left us with more than a sense of trepidation prior to our visit to the Kempinski Dome, leaving the debate wide open as to whether we would end up burying this Caesar or praising him. I’m pleased to say post stay, (our very first to the region of Antalya) it is mostly praise that we would bestow on the Dome with only one or two reservations.

The region of Antalya is a curious one, almost as if certain of the best (and worst) elements of Spain, Morroco, Portugal and perhaps Southern Italy had been cut and pasted into a wonderful yet asymmetric mosaic, beautiful in part (and drenched in uninterrupted sunshine) but the overall design needs work in order to fully reveal the true picture. First impressions of the Hotel underline this point perfectly. Found at the end of a long tree lined road the Hotel (which architecturally is one of the most inspiring Kempinski’s I’ve seen to date) entices you in via a magnificently grand entrance inspired by the 11th-century Seljuk Turks to what is now typical Kempinski style and quality. Awash with marble, water features, leather and floral displays this Hotel should be surrounded by opulence of a similar elk in terms of the neighbouring infrastructure. Instead, the adjoining buildings whilst pleasant enough are leagues away from the Dome in terms of style…………….. and that infrastructure, well despite being on a near perfect stretch of beach with Hotels either side, nearest café, restaurant or bar is some 5km away.

This should not put prospective visitors off, on the contrary, the Hotel is exceptionally well secluded, secure and private, with almost a boutique /private club atmosphere. The overriding feeling here being that you are in a Kempinski world, Turkey may be there but it’s not at all apparent! The rooms carry this theme on, very well designed, perfectly equipped (despite small and very aged LCD televisions) and although much smaller than hoped, balconies with a sea view are well worth the extra, especially for catching a late sunset. Room maintenance was exceptional, squeaky clean and despite trying to be eco warriors and hanging our towels for a 2nd use, housekeeping was having none of it and they were replaced every evening at turn down. We were equally impressed with the pools. Very sensibly the same depth all round (1.40m) all X3 main pools interweave seamlessly, are truly enormous and have a great swim up bar playing just about audible “chill-out” to help you get to that space which was the reason why you came in the first place. Indeed for us, this is where the Hotel excelled, after a less than perfect start we were pretty much effortlessly drawn into an aura of relaxation. Worth mentioning that you would never know this is a golf resort, but if Golf is your drug, then after a round or two I couldn’t imagine a better place to chill than poolside sipping whatever poison takes your fancy whilst reflecting on what may have been had you not missed that final put on the last green. Again sensibly there were two shallower pools for children, not quite tucked away but subtle enough to allow adults some uninterrupted tranquility. The private blue flag beach was clean, the sea calm, warm and inviting if a little insipid for those with more adventurous, aquatic spirits.

We noted quite a few comments in respect of the food but I have to say that on the whole we found it to be of a consistently high standard and contrary to other opinion, well priced. We only experienced the buffet dinner once, but it was some of the finest traditional Turkish cuisine either of us have experienced for quite some time. That said the subject of dining again really underlines my initial point re that as yet incomplete mosaic. Credit to Kempinski for offering the only (yes the only) non all inclusive Hotel in the area but in our book if you are going to be different, then embrace it head on, don’t just scratch the surface! Despite beautiful grounds and enormous potential to dine under the stars, I’d say that during our stay about 80% of guests chose the buffet day in day out (it was actually hard to find out what other alternatives were on offer!). Yes, this was served in the same predominantly al fresco area as breakfast, but where is the intimacy sharing your dining experience with near all other guests, less than a metre away?? This theme ran through to the entertainment. The Hotel has a beautiful terrace bar overlooking the grounds where nightly entertainment consisted of music performed by artists (with varying degrees of talent!), playing middle of the road ballads to an international audience. Yes, it is exceptionally difficult for management (catering for a predominantly German, Russian and home grown tastes) but we would have loved to have A) other al fresco options, and B) greater diversity in respect of what entertainment was on offer. We were after all in Turkey and it was left to our imaginations how enjoyable an a la carte experience could have been with perhaps some Turkish classical music one night, a belly dancing display the other! We shared these comments with the exceptionally attentive General Manager, Puneet Singh who for our final evening opened a second terrace for a private dining experience. The food & atmosphere were excellent and we hope that Puneet took note that once the tables were laid out, despite no advertising whatsoever, 3 other diners joined us!

A weaker point is the service. All management were exemplary, but in certain areas and times (especially breakfast and when busy) the variations in customer service and consistency are all too apparent and not quite up to the mark of a 5 star establishment. That said, those staff who were good were extremely good. I’ve already mentioned housekeeping and during our saty we encountered the best pool attendant we’ve ever experienced, period. From 30m, if spotted, he was there in an instant and only left once he was completely satisfied that we were where we wanted to be, not on the first available lounger. Sadly, we have forgotten his name but if ever there was a benchmark for Puneet, then it is he who has set the bar!

To conclude, the Dome is a good Hotel, a very good Hotel and one of the best value, best designed and most relaxing Kempinski’s we’ve stayed in to date. Our knives remain resolutely undrawn and we would most definitely return, our only hope being that management take the brave step of focusing further on the potential to capitalise on the Hotel’s uniqueness (and Turkishness!) and less on accommodating that all persuasive, all inclusive feel in respect of dining and entertainment. In our book, this along with upping the ante in terms of the responsiveness of staff could easily afford the potential for the Dome to become one of Europe’s best Kempinski resort Hotels and certainly the bench mark for 5 star beach resorts in the entire region. We look forward to meeting Puneet and his team in the not too distant future to see whether the paint has finally dried on the Dome's potentially wonderful canvas.

6  Thank RDWallace

Dear Mr. Wallace,

I wish I had the wonderful gift like you have, to write so eloquently!

Thank you very much for taking the time, for submitting a very extensive and candid feedback from your stay at hotel.

You have so wonderfully described all aspects of your stay, areas where we do well, and areas we need to improve. Since we had the opportunity to have a discussion over a glass of wine or maybe two, during your stay, there is nothing much to say, except thank you, and assure you, that what we discussed, what you have highlighted as areas of improvement, will be addressed. And thank you for giving some excellent ideas from your vast experience as a guest in luxury hotels.

I and my team, eagerly look forward to welcoming you back to Kempinski Hotel The Dome, in the not too distant future, and wish you and your lovely wife, our best in the meantime.

best regards

Reviewed September 5, 2011

Everything was perfect. Clean and comfortable. There was No music so if you would like to have laud music around this is not the right place. Food is good. The only bas thing is the service in the restaurants. Waiters are arrogant and not good at their jobs. İ think they are seasonal workers. Under the sea is sand but not so good for little kids. Pool is perfect. İ Went to other kempinski in bodrum. When compared staff is better in bodrum.

• Stayed: September 2011

Dear Guest (Eliffff),

Thank you for your kind and cnadid feedback on this portal, from your stay in our hotel, last September.

As we appreciate and thank you, for sharing that your overall experience at the Hotel, was exceptional, barring the service experience.

I take your comment that our waiters appeared arrogant, extremely seriously, and can assure you I have addressed with our operations team and each and every staff in depth, prior to writing this response. I personally apologize for their behavior, which I must inform you, is really out of the norm.

Indeed, as we have fluctuating business volumes in summer and winter, we do use carefully screened, selected personell, who are first trained and then introduced to the operations.

I thank you for giving us the feedback, which will allow us to improve ourselves continuously. If you would like to share more information, I request you to please contact me directly, via our website, under the "contact us" section.

I hope you will not let this isolated experience, keep you away from returning to Kempinski Hotel The Dome. I look forward to welcoming you back.

with best regards

Puneet Singh
Kempinski Hotel The Dome.