“Not a five star, over priced. Surprising for a riu.”

Hotel Riu Kaya Belek
Ranked #26 of 87 Hotels in Belek
staffordshire
“Not a five star, over priced. Surprising for a riu.”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We had a good holiday, but no wow facture at all.
The cleanliness was good for the rooms, but the restaurant you had to look round for 20mins to get a table then find some cuttlery plus glasses. Then you would have to clean them. When fetching drinks more often than not they had ran out of glasses.
We paid for two rooms to sleep four people in each room, we were given two rooms for three people and the fourth had to sleep on the settee which was not a bed settee. Plus we had to go and ask for bedding for the fourth person. The receotion staff were very ignorant and not helpfull at all. The balcony was only big enougg for a small table plus two chairs so we couldnt sit out as a family.
The room keys stopped working everyday, so we had to go to get them cut everyday which we were told it was our fault because we had put them with our phone of which they were no where near.
To get to the childrens slides the steps were a wooden block that was rotting and falling to pieces. Plus left in this area was a large metal holder which was used for the bonfires on the beach which was rusty and very sharp, which if a child fell on this it would cause some serious damage.
Thompsons have informed us that they have dropped this complex from a five star to a four, which we were not told this before we went, very disappointing.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Just returned from two weeks with wife and daughter (10) and friends with two similar aged children . travelled with Thomson , good flight and quick transfer . Hotel décor a bit drab and dated and a bit worn in places but don't that put you off as it is clean and well staffed with well trained people all eager to please .
On checking in was shown to a terrible first floor room overlooking the reception roof - immediately complained and was upgraded to a pool view at a cost of ten euros a night. in hindsight I think a bit more fuss and I could have upgraded for zero , so if you get in the same situation its probably worth making more of an issue of it (even if you have booked a budget room )
Anyway , I concur with previous reviews food and service outstanding , lots of choice (like any buffet type set up you will get a bit jaded after a couple of weeks ) yes the two sittings does create a "first day at Harrods sale " effect with the Russians and other east Europeans piling in as the doors open , we just got to the dining room 20 mins later and went right to the far end , where the air conditioning was a lot better .
Obviously just a personal view but the a la carte options seemed a bit rubbish , the Italian and Asian venues are poorly air conditioned and thus very warm , and the food , although fine was rushed out and you could be all done in 40 mins from soup to nuts ! (which suited as we were getting poached in the heat of the room )
The BBQ option on the beach terrace is by far the best dining option and would recommend you book that (you have to line up the day before in person in one of the bars - your rep will give you the details ) they say you can only book each option once but they don't check .
Okran and his team in the beach bar was very efficient , as are all the staff , well run hotel , which is their big selling point .
Like all things in life you get what you pay for and for £3500 for a couple of weeks , and no stonking bill at the end for booze/food incidentals make it a great value option .So you put up with below par air conditioning ,limited dining options , rude Russians , noisy pool games all day , no turn down service , cheesy shows , tourist trap local town blah blah

Great hotel for the price , would go back for short break , one thing I would ask the management to sort out : please BAN KIDS FROM THE INDOOR SPA POOL , its the only oasis of quiet coolness during the day when its 40 degrees plus outside and you fancy a cooldown nap ....

( although in the room they do not clear dirty plate/cups .. we just left them outside the room )

3 Thank tony b
Reviewed August 21, 2013

we have been to this hotel a number of times over the year's as always staff were great, RIDA is as always on hand to help out, but!!! again this year the Eastern European friends seem to rule this hotel, no manners for staff or any other guests!! the main restaurant was a joke, its like a school canteen, my wife was pushed out of the way one evening, so we started to eat out after that, Its a shame as the staff do all they can for you, but these people from eastern Europe seem to think they are above us British people, I understand that different nations do things different, but pushing, shoving, shouting out loud, is bad manners in any language. so sorry to say we would not be going back.

1 Thank Birmingham69
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The hotel is very good. The staff were very friendly.The food was at a good quality. The pools were large. Actives were good fun and evening entertainment was excellent. Very hot so you need to drink lots of water. Hotel maybe a little too big as it is hard to locate a lot of things including the beach bar. Beautiful scenery, was very surprised at how green it was on the transfer. Rooms are very clean and beds were great. The service at reception was outstanding and room service was good as well.

Room Tip: Rooms near beaches have good views and central rooms are good for getting around the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Piran L
Lincoln
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Have just returned from 2 weeks holiday at this fabulous hotel.
All the positive comments in previous reviews are correct and I would like to emphasize the variety of the food and entertainment on offer.The service was great -particularly from Rida and Emine in the lobby bar-friendly,efficient and helpful.
We had a turkish bath and this was great.
Would recommend to anybody
I

Room Tip: We had a third floor room overlooking the pool and found this ideal
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Lincolnites
HotelRiuKayaBelek, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Riu Kaya Belek, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear Guests,

We thank you for your kind attention you showed by sharing your time to write your holiday experience in Hotel RIU Kaya Belek.

We are happy that you were pleased with our services. We ensure you we shared your positive comments with our team.

We hope to see you back at Hotel RIU Kaya Belek.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any question or request for your next visits.

Yours faithfully,

Guest Relations Team
bkguest@kayatourism.com.tr
Birmingham
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stayed here for two weeks from 24th July. Would echo other reviews in terms of service and food. Both good, especially the salads. There are plenty of sun loungers to be had, and you will only need to be up at silly o'clock if you are determined to bag a ring side seat around the pools. A little tip - when you come out to the pool area, head to the right hand side - the PA speakers are on the left hand side and they are LOUD. The garden area is great, very peaceful although the loungers here are a little older. Lovely breeze on the beach and again plenty of sun beds.
Meal times do resemble feeding time at the zoo - it is chaos and there must surely be a better way for it to be done. Worth tipping your waiter at the start of your holiday and getting him to save a table for you (there were 7 of us).
My only real complaint was about the cleanliness (other reviewers were happy with this) - I thought they didnt clean up quickly enough in the dining rooms (food left on floor etc) and the rooms could have been cleaned more thoroughly (empty glasses left in room for 3 days until we moved them ourselves). Not a big deal, but expected better.
Overall a great holiday and of course at this time of year, weather in pretty much guaranteed.

Room Tip: If there are 4 of you in one room, one of you will be on a sofa bed.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank A4G
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have just returned from a fantastic holiday in Turkey staying at the Hotel Riu Kaya Belek and I cannot praise the establishment, its facilities and staff enough. Before travelling, I read a vast majority of the reviews (including the 'bad' ones) - I don't easily get swayed, as I like to make my own subjective opinion.

The hotel itself is great. The lobby area is spotless and the desk staff are helpful and curtious as you would expect them to be. We were welcomed with a cocktail on arrival and it set the tone for the rest of the holiday. Our bags were whisked away by a porter who was very happy to show us how the room safe worked. Those people who complain about tipping porters, need to do a little more research on cultural ettiquette for Turkey IS a 'tipping' country and I imagine the wages of a hotel porter are not enormous. If you don't tip the staff, then wrestle with your conscience at a later date.

The room itself was a good size for my wife and two lads (aged 9 and 12). The beds were immaculately clean as was the room itself. The TV boasted several English speaking channels of which Eurosport News was one, therefore for the limited amount of time it was on my boys were happy! The bathroom was again, very clean and the shower was great. No complaints either of the air conditioning which was spot on. The cleaners always changed the bathroom towels and sheets when asked.

A lot of people have said how great the food at the hotel is and I concur. The quality is very good. For those guests who moan that it gets too repetitive, I suggest you don't fill your plate up with fifty different types of food in one sitting. Think of your waistlines! My family and I tended to not overindulge (as sadly many people tended to and leave a huge amount of waste) every night and had ten great meals (all different) over the course of the holiday. My wife was in 'fruit heaven' as the amount of fruit available was astonishing. Some guests have been a little annoyed at the lack of respect certain nationalities have whilst dining etc. I would like to remind people that the hotel cannot police the manners of its guests! I found a simple, "Excuse me, you have to wait your turn," sufficed and a majority of the chefs reinforced that sentiment. One tip - the doughnuts and waffles in the bar area at 4pm are superb, so make sure you get there early.

The staff at the hotel are so hard working. Their work ethic mirrors that of the hotel manager who was forever wandering around the poolside and restraunts talking to guests and making sure that they were happy. The bar men and waiters workk like Trojans and nothing is too much trouble for them. You DO NOT have to tip the waiters, but they are so attentive to your every need, it would be rude not too. They are that good!

For my family, the entertainment in the hotel was spot on. Some guests have written reviews saying that it was 'cheesy' and 'boring'. I must admit, I found it rather good - perhaps this says a lot about my personality! We love dancing acts (the Kenyan dancers were spectacular, as were the gymnastics troupe) and I have a soft spot for Tommy Cooper-esque cabaret and magic shows therefore I was very happy indeed (as were my two children). During the day the entertainment team cajouled and enticed people into playing their various games. I for one enjoyed playing water polo, darts, volleyball etc but I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea. If you don't want to do it, just say "No thanks" when they are asking and then they don't tend to ask you again. My two boys loved the entertainers and really enjoyed their company.

During my stay, it was my 40th birthday and I was invited by the retaurant manger to celebrate it at dinner time. I was a set my own special table and given my own special cake. Indeed, one of the waiters came and sang happy birthday to me. It's little touches like this that make all the difference.

As you can see, I am very impressed with the hotel, facilities and staff and they deserve all the plaudits they get. I really hope that this review has been of some use and sways people into choosing this hotel for their summer holidays. Thank you Hotel Riu Kaya Belek! You have set the standard for all inclusive holidays and I for one will be using another Riu hotel in the future.

10 Thank James B