“now not number one”

Xanadu Resort Hotel
Ranked #25 of 94 Hotels in Belek
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was our sixth visit to the Xanadu .On this visit we found that some of the the hotel had been refubished to a hi standard and that the furniture had been renewed in the outside areas which was very good.The evening shows in the theatre were still of a good standard.However it seems that there have been cut backs upon previous visits there was live entertaining music to six nights out of seven this has now been reduced to three and replaced by a disco this is ok for the younger generation but the Xanadu generally attracted an older clientel the disco's were not well supported .There has been cutbacks also in staffing in the buffett and bars were somtimes we waited up to twentty minutes to order a drink and wait another ten minutes to get it.In the main restaurant at breakfast tabels were not cleared and left dirty due to lack of staff in spite of the staff doing there best.come on Xanadu your loosing it.

Room Tip: the sea view rooms are the best odd numbers are at the back even numbers are with sea view
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank lennox j
Write a ReviewReviews (1,660)

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Our 5th visit to Xanadu. It says it all really dosn't it! There may be newer hotels, more flashy resorts but we love the place. The number of returning guests we meet every year confirms that loads of others feel the same. It is a very relaxing and comfortable place to spend a holiday. You always feel that the management and staff do their very best to ensure that you have everything you want/need to ensure a great holiday. Rooms are very clean, the food is good, the staff are friendly and helpful and there is lots to do if you want to and plenty of space to relax if you just want to sunbath. Hundreds of sunbeds. Lots of places and times to eat. Branded spirits. Great entertainment team - we were greeted by name on our return this year. Gardens are very well maintained - loads of wildlife - we have seen tortoises, red squirrels, hedgehogs, kingfishers and frogs to name just a few. Managment also take notice of the feedback forms. This year there was hair conditioner in the bathrooms and lots more seating on the main terrace.
We were sad to hear that the Turkish and Russian restaurants are now closed. We enjoy eating in the themed restaurants. It is so nice to be served rather than wandering aimlessly (in my case) around the buffet. Will we be back next year? We certainly hope so.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without an ajoining door as the noise from your neighbours can be annoying.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Firstly I’d have to strongly disagree with some of the points mad in the review “Benidorm Sitcom”. I’ve travelled extensively and eaten in some of the best restaurants and the quality of the food is one of the redeeming factors. Fresh sea bream, sea bass and other prime cuts and varied international dishes can’t be that bad. This definitely isn’t a burger and chips place. The rooms, whilst not palatial, were spacious and well appointed, if a little outdated, but beds were enormous and it was kept meticulously clean.

Also their reference to non branded drinks only being available is untrue. Were they staying a different resort?? There was a wide choice of all the international brands (5 different Vodka’s alone and over 10 types of whiskey; Bombay Sapphire, Gordon’s or Beefeater gin.....! If you ask for a G and T you’ll probably get a non branded so don’t. We always asked for international brands and got them every time...

So my review...
This was a family holiday in mid August so very busy... There was a good mix of nationalities and we never felt swamped by the Brit brigade, Russians or Germans. There’s a kids club, but this is really for the under 7’s ideally. Teen programs are put on so there’s a missing gap for those in-between. That said this place feels so safe and you’ll happily let your kids explore the large grounds.

The setting is lovely, the beach is good though the rip can be a little strong at times especially on windy days. My kids loved jumping off the end of the pier ( and there are signs to let you know how deep the water is)

The main pool does have awful loud music all day. The Russians mainly parade around here! However there is a quieter large pool by the “secret garden”. Our room was here so every morning we had breakfast here. They pretty much served up all the same stuff for breakfast as the main restaurant, it was just far more chilled out. They also served food until 5. They closed at 7 and I wish they had been open all evening as this would have offered a nice quiet outdoor alternative.

The beach bar stays open all day and has a basic menu, but a serves cold beers , cokes and coffees so all fine by me! There’s a nice covered children’s play area by the beach too.

The food on the whole was good – very varied, sometimes a bit hit and miss but all good quality and masses of choice. The service though can be dire. It got worse as the hotel got busier. On occasion we had to ask three times for the same thing and this was very very irritating considering what we paid for the holiday! That said sometimes the service was very good and the staff were happy to help for about 95% of the time, just the 5% when they weren’t grated on us!

Lots of choice of drinks – as mentioned masses of international brands – just had to make sure you asked for it. Xanadu bar serving Pizza, pancakes, waffles in the day was a bonus and nice ice cream all day until the wee small hours was loved by my children!

I did use the spa and had a massage and it was eye wateringly expensive but lovely. We also upgraded to a 20 euro a day package to get internet, laundry, room service and entrance to the Spa for free (normally 15 Euros). If you use those things it worked out ok (and we did – laundry service was excellent!)

The whole place was clean. Rooms were cleaned rather than tidied and I expected a bit more tidying up my the cleaners but it was OK and there were clean towels everyday and clean sheets every other it seemed.

Entertainment was mixed. The live bands were dreadful, but the charismatic Russian head of entertainments was a very funny man and held the crowd amazingly well (in 4 different languages too no less). The “live” musicals were actually lip synced to a pre recording, that said Shrek, Zorro, Grease and Mama Mia were offered along with a Michael Jackson tribute. My kids absolutely loved it and we kept them company.

Overall parts of the holiday were 5 star such as facilities, others made it like a 3 star such as queuing at dinner and poor services, however overall I’m happy to give it a 4 out of 5. Had the service been better I would have awarded a 5, but this really let the place down at times. I would go here again, and I would recommend it to others because you will have a great time!

Oh and one final thing - the beach foam party was a blast for the younger and young at heart!

Room Tip: Have breakfast at the Secret Garden, ask for a room here too (much quieter) Don't visit the Tro...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank poppy1972
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Ok I am trying to give a very objective review of what this resort was. I just spent 2 weeks there and I have ALOT (good and bad) to say about it:

The good:

- the resort itself is amazing, really big, plenty of space, with a huge private beach... scenery is pretty amazing
- the looks of the resort: everything is arranged with taste, the pools and everything really have an "antique" look (even if of course you can tell it's fake but it really is never shocking because it's really arranged with style)
- the cleanliness: you can seriously lick the floors because it's so clean! And the swimming pools are immaculate!
- the room cleaning: a HUGE thank you. Cleaning lady is amazing, the rooms are always top notched cleaned... this was a great bonus point for us... and you can call them at any time if there is any problem and they will be right there for you. My husband got sick one day and I called them at 8pm and in 10 min two ladies were up changing sheets and making the room... quite great!
- the staff: overall, everyone is just great and if they can't help you directly they will spend 10min finding somebody who can until you're totally satisfied!!
- the service, is irreproachable... you need something, you have it in 5min (except for food see below). But for example our shower was leaking a bit, we called the reception, 5min later somebody was up in our room cleaning, and the morning of the day after the whole shower was fixed.
- the food: plenty of it, of about all you want. Always fresh, never got sick even once... and they have this great suggestion box, and they actually follow what you want. So if you're craving for something, you can ask for it, and they will make it the day after... pretty cool if you ask me!
- the turkish cafe... simply amazing... and they give you lokoums with it... just delicious
- the bars: plenty of cocktails, brought with chips and nuts...
- the water slides: 3 of them! REALLY COOL!! One is just scary... they make you sign a weaver because it can be "dangerous", sooo steep!! One is a normal one but pretty fast. And one is an all inside one (claustrophobic people should avoid it)
- the water sports: they have this little shed by the beach where you can rent jet-skis, catamarans, floaty things, parasailing etc etc etc... everything is actually pretty cheap (count 40 euros for 15min of parasailing/jet ski) and really really nice...
- the professional photographer: a bit pricey but the guy makes absolutely fantastic photos
- the golf club: didn't use it myself as I don't see the point to go to Turkey to golf but it looked pretty nice and every comment I heard from people who went golfing were very positive

The bad:
- service at breakfast, lunch and dinner was pretty bad. This is probably what bothered me the most. If you get there right when the buffet opens you can get what you want but otherwise forget about it... several meals I was already done with my meal before I could even get a glass of water... so in the end I would just go and help myself, which would have been completely fine only that I got scolded by the waiters because I wasn't supposed to go and get stuff like that off of their cart!! Needless to say that I was a bit irritated. And also I have to say that the staff gets very grumpy as it gets late... which is not so nice... I think the problem is that there are not enough waiters for the meals and so they get overwhelmed pretty easily. I think more staff would solve the problem.
- english: pretty bad... while most people at key positions speak english (and even at that only half the people at the reception desk do) most of the staff doesn't speak english at all... which gets VERY annoying... I'll give them that that when you ask for something specific and they don't understand you, they will go get someone who does but it's pretty inefficient! I am not asking them to know every language on the planet but I think at least a scarce knowledge of english would be a requirement (having to repeat 5 times that you want water with your meal is a bit irritating).
- the music by the pool: Okkkk that really got old in a hurry... first there is music by the main pool all day long (and if you happen to eat breakfast a bit late you will get the music from the pool and the music from the buffet mixed up....)... so for people who prefer the pool to the beach, be ready to have a headache at the end of the day. Fortunately they have a second smaller pool without music, and with a little bar next to it, so go there if you can't stand the music. But really, when you have the beach 2 min away, go to the beach rather than the pool, it's so much nicer!
- the music in the evening: different bands but same songs... every couple of nights... and so so so loud. We ended up taking tables as far away as possible from the band because it was just too loud otherwise we couldn't even hear ourselves speak.
- the entertainment in the evening: pretty poor on my standards, but many people seemed to enjoy it so it must just be my personal taste :)
- oh and the standard rooms could be a bit bigger :)

What I missed the most:
Not being able to really see Turkey. The hotel is far away from everything (although there is a little bus which drives you to Belek center but going to Antalya without a car is a nightmare) so you can't just step out and visit something. Problem is, a hotel like that is out of reality. I don't really understand the point of going to Turkey to lock yourself up in a resort which could be the same anywhere else on the planet. However, if you just want to relax, then this is perfect. Note that there are a lot of cultural things to do around and what I would really advise to do is to rent a car and alternate excursion days and relax days. The hotel has a little tourism agency so you can book your excursions from there etc etc... and as the rest of the staff, they're super helpful!

All in all: I definitely would go back! Because it was so safe and so relaxing and I really felt that you could trust the people there and just not worry about anything... BUT I would make sure to rent a car and discover more of the area. The staff will do everything they can to make your stay very enjoyable and will help you in any way they can!

Room Tip: Choose a room with sea view, not golf club view!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank PlickAndPlock
Reviewed September 12, 2012

When your told a hotel is a 5 star in my eyes it's a 5 star hotel.
 We researched our holiday with vigour as going to turkey was a new place to us. So we narrowed it down to the Mediterranean coast and belek is where we went.
Using trip adviser we decided on the Xanadu hotel as it had plenty of recommendations.
Now this hotel is not a 5 star hotel not even near it. It's a 3 star hotel maybe 3.5 star if that's a classification?
If you watch the tv sitcom Benidorm well your on your way to knowing what this place is like. Because it really is like the show from the characters that stay here, the staff, the entertainment, drinks and food. In the end you just have to laugh its quite funny.
We stayed in a premium room which was like a uk premium lodge but no trouser press. The walls are paper thin and every night at  12.30 am we were treated to what I can only describe  as feeding time at the zoo as the carnal activities of the couple next door got in full flow.
The beds in the room were to single beds joined together and they were the worst nights sleep ever. As you moved on the bed the noise was like that of a creaking old boat, shocking. The bathrooms aren't bad if your 5.8 and like to navigate your way into the bath and try not to end up using your travel insurance because you've slipped and got a spinal injury.
The staff service tends to be don't give a care and your wait for ages for drinks, well anything actually. Basically in most cases very rude which is sad as these people need our business to survive.
The food is served up in a cross between a department store canteen and motorway cafe. It's 6/10 at best and anything after a 7 days stay it becomes awful.
Drinks are all low grade brands and the cocktails are made with concentrate juices. The coke and lemonade is a from a pump and so flat and vile.
One day I had a cheese burger by the pool and it was  rather strange and tasteless. Like a disc of cardboard in a cake buns.
The reception staff are just plain rude as well and basically poor. simple requests are treated with disdain.
The beech is ok but facilities are basic and not very nice. You can get a kebab at the beach like your local kebab van but your local KV is possibly better.
Basically this is not a 5 star holiday as the hotel is tired, the staff third class, the facilities unclean and the food and drink awful.
But if you go you will understand why people post great reviews because it's sad to say these people don't know a 4/5 star hotel as they go on a package holiday once a year, are untravelled and are in turkey escaping the high value euro. Where they once went to Benidorm for value they now go to turkey and the Xanadu.
However everything has a price and a week here should be about £550 tops as your in a 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: Stay by the quiet pool in a bungalow the hotel rooms are noisy and old
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tea_please
Demet M, CRM & MARKETING MANAGER at Xanadu Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you for your comments. As Hotel Management we have deeply researched every point of your remarks. Much to our regret, we were not able to comprehend your points of complaint. Our facility is certified with international certification institutes such as Tüv for DIN ISO 9001, 14001, 22000 and National Britannia. Our staff is regularly trained at the beginning of the season and during the season itself. We feel deeply sorry that you felt reason for complaint during your holidays but we would be delighted to prove you the contrary if you decide to prefer Xanadu Hotels again.

Again, thank you for your comments. Sincerely yours,

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Just returned from the Xanadu which is a great hotel. Staff friendly, food good, spacious grounds and it never feels crowded. The staff although friendly do take time to take your drinks order, especially as they do not want you going up to the bar yourself. They have the most comfortable sun beds around the swimming pool. The beach is lovely and while the beach bar is fine, they only serve beer and soft drinks so it is limited for people who do not like beer perhaps a good idea would be to serve some wine. The music around the main pool is very, very loud which would not be so bad it they varied their tapes each day, we stayed a week and I think they played the same tape every day! Don't let this put you off, it is a lovely hotel and worth a visit, good value for the money.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room facing the main swimming pool, we were first put in a room with a balco...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frances66
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Just had a great vacation at Xanadu Belek. Staff is very friendly and helpful, the food is very tasty and good quality. We prefer beach rather than the pool area since it is more silent. We tried the new pavilions on the beach, it is worth the money - you have all your needs (electricity outlet, small refrigirator and a safe for your valuables) plus great service. The rooms are a little bit old but well maintained and very clean. Looking forward to my next trip mid September...

• Stayed: August 2012