“A GREAT hotel overall... with a few things to improve”

Xanadu Resort Hotel
Ranked #25 of 88 Hotels in Belek
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Ok I am trying to give a very objective review of what this resort was. I just spent 2 weeks there and I have ALOT (good and bad) to say about it:

The good:

- the resort itself is amazing, really big, plenty of space, with a huge private beach... scenery is pretty amazing
- the looks of the resort: everything is arranged with taste, the pools and everything really have an "antique" look (even if of course you can tell it's fake but it really is never shocking because it's really arranged with style)
- the cleanliness: you can seriously lick the floors because it's so clean! And the swimming pools are immaculate!
- the room cleaning: a HUGE thank you. Cleaning lady is amazing, the rooms are always top notched cleaned... this was a great bonus point for us... and you can call them at any time if there is any problem and they will be right there for you. My husband got sick one day and I called them at 8pm and in 10 min two ladies were up changing sheets and making the room... quite great!
- the staff: overall, everyone is just great and if they can't help you directly they will spend 10min finding somebody who can until you're totally satisfied!!
- the service, is irreproachable... you need something, you have it in 5min (except for food see below). But for example our shower was leaking a bit, we called the reception, 5min later somebody was up in our room cleaning, and the morning of the day after the whole shower was fixed.
- the food: plenty of it, of about all you want. Always fresh, never got sick even once... and they have this great suggestion box, and they actually follow what you want. So if you're craving for something, you can ask for it, and they will make it the day after... pretty cool if you ask me!
- the turkish cafe... simply amazing... and they give you lokoums with it... just delicious
- the bars: plenty of cocktails, brought with chips and nuts...
- the water slides: 3 of them! REALLY COOL!! One is just scary... they make you sign a weaver because it can be "dangerous", sooo steep!! One is a normal one but pretty fast. And one is an all inside one (claustrophobic people should avoid it)
- the water sports: they have this little shed by the beach where you can rent jet-skis, catamarans, floaty things, parasailing etc etc etc... everything is actually pretty cheap (count 40 euros for 15min of parasailing/jet ski) and really really nice...
- the professional photographer: a bit pricey but the guy makes absolutely fantastic photos
- the golf club: didn't use it myself as I don't see the point to go to Turkey to golf but it looked pretty nice and every comment I heard from people who went golfing were very positive

The bad:
- service at breakfast, lunch and dinner was pretty bad. This is probably what bothered me the most. If you get there right when the buffet opens you can get what you want but otherwise forget about it... several meals I was already done with my meal before I could even get a glass of water... so in the end I would just go and help myself, which would have been completely fine only that I got scolded by the waiters because I wasn't supposed to go and get stuff like that off of their cart!! Needless to say that I was a bit irritated. And also I have to say that the staff gets very grumpy as it gets late... which is not so nice... I think the problem is that there are not enough waiters for the meals and so they get overwhelmed pretty easily. I think more staff would solve the problem.
- english: pretty bad... while most people at key positions speak english (and even at that only half the people at the reception desk do) most of the staff doesn't speak english at all... which gets VERY annoying... I'll give them that that when you ask for something specific and they don't understand you, they will go get someone who does but it's pretty inefficient! I am not asking them to know every language on the planet but I think at least a scarce knowledge of english would be a requirement (having to repeat 5 times that you want water with your meal is a bit irritating).
- the music by the pool: Okkkk that really got old in a hurry... first there is music by the main pool all day long (and if you happen to eat breakfast a bit late you will get the music from the pool and the music from the buffet mixed up....)... so for people who prefer the pool to the beach, be ready to have a headache at the end of the day. Fortunately they have a second smaller pool without music, and with a little bar next to it, so go there if you can't stand the music. But really, when you have the beach 2 min away, go to the beach rather than the pool, it's so much nicer!
- the music in the evening: different bands but same songs... every couple of nights... and so so so loud. We ended up taking tables as far away as possible from the band because it was just too loud otherwise we couldn't even hear ourselves speak.
- the entertainment in the evening: pretty poor on my standards, but many people seemed to enjoy it so it must just be my personal taste :)
- oh and the standard rooms could be a bit bigger :)

What I missed the most:
Not being able to really see Turkey. The hotel is far away from everything (although there is a little bus which drives you to Belek center but going to Antalya without a car is a nightmare) so you can't just step out and visit something. Problem is, a hotel like that is out of reality. I don't really understand the point of going to Turkey to lock yourself up in a resort which could be the same anywhere else on the planet. However, if you just want to relax, then this is perfect. Note that there are a lot of cultural things to do around and what I would really advise to do is to rent a car and alternate excursion days and relax days. The hotel has a little tourism agency so you can book your excursions from there etc etc... and as the rest of the staff, they're super helpful!

All in all: I definitely would go back! Because it was so safe and so relaxing and I really felt that you could trust the people there and just not worry about anything... BUT I would make sure to rent a car and discover more of the area. The staff will do everything they can to make your stay very enjoyable and will help you in any way they can!

Room Tip: Choose a room with sea view, not golf club view!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank PlickAndPlock
There are newer reviews for Xanadu Resort Hotel

Reviewed September 12, 2012

When your told a hotel is a 5 star in my eyes it's a 5 star hotel.
 We researched our holiday with vigour as going to turkey was a new place to us. So we narrowed it down to the Mediterranean coast and belek is where we went.
Using trip adviser we decided on the Xanadu hotel as it had plenty of recommendations.
Now this hotel is not a 5 star hotel not even near it. It's a 3 star hotel maybe 3.5 star if that's a classification?
If you watch the tv sitcom Benidorm well your on your way to knowing what this place is like. Because it really is like the show from the characters that stay here, the staff, the entertainment, drinks and food. In the end you just have to laugh its quite funny.
We stayed in a premium room which was like a uk premium lodge but no trouser press. The walls are paper thin and every night at  12.30 am we were treated to what I can only describe  as feeding time at the zoo as the carnal activities of the couple next door got in full flow.
The beds in the room were to single beds joined together and they were the worst nights sleep ever. As you moved on the bed the noise was like that of a creaking old boat, shocking. The bathrooms aren't bad if your 5.8 and like to navigate your way into the bath and try not to end up using your travel insurance because you've slipped and got a spinal injury.
The staff service tends to be don't give a care and your wait for ages for drinks, well anything actually. Basically in most cases very rude which is sad as these people need our business to survive.
The food is served up in a cross between a department store canteen and motorway cafe. It's 6/10 at best and anything after a 7 days stay it becomes awful.
Drinks are all low grade brands and the cocktails are made with concentrate juices. The coke and lemonade is a from a pump and so flat and vile.
One day I had a cheese burger by the pool and it was  rather strange and tasteless. Like a disc of cardboard in a cake buns.
The reception staff are just plain rude as well and basically poor. simple requests are treated with disdain.
The beech is ok but facilities are basic and not very nice. You can get a kebab at the beach like your local kebab van but your local KV is possibly better.
Basically this is not a 5 star holiday as the hotel is tired, the staff third class, the facilities unclean and the food and drink awful.
But if you go you will understand why people post great reviews because it's sad to say these people don't know a 4/5 star hotel as they go on a package holiday once a year, are untravelled and are in turkey escaping the high value euro. Where they once went to Benidorm for value they now go to turkey and the Xanadu.
However everything has a price and a week here should be about £550 tops as your in a 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: Stay by the quiet pool in a bungalow the hotel rooms are noisy and old
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tea_please
Demet M, CRM & MARKETING MANAGER at Xanadu Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you for your comments. As Hotel Management we have deeply researched every point of your remarks. Much to our regret, we were not able to comprehend your points of complaint. Our facility is certified with international certification institutes such as Tüv for DIN ISO 9001, 14001, 22000 and National Britannia. Our staff is regularly trained at the beginning of the season and during the season itself. We feel deeply sorry that you felt reason for complaint during your holidays but we would be delighted to prove you the contrary if you decide to prefer Xanadu Hotels again.

Again, thank you for your comments. Sincerely yours,

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Just returned from the Xanadu which is a great hotel. Staff friendly, food good, spacious grounds and it never feels crowded. The staff although friendly do take time to take your drinks order, especially as they do not want you going up to the bar yourself. They have the most comfortable sun beds around the swimming pool. The beach is lovely and while the beach bar is fine, they only serve beer and soft drinks so it is limited for people who do not like beer perhaps a good idea would be to serve some wine. The music around the main pool is very, very loud which would not be so bad it they varied their tapes each day, we stayed a week and I think they played the same tape every day! Don't let this put you off, it is a lovely hotel and worth a visit, good value for the money.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room facing the main swimming pool, we were first put in a room with a balco...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frances66
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Just had a great vacation at Xanadu Belek. Staff is very friendly and helpful, the food is very tasty and good quality. We prefer beach rather than the pool area since it is more silent. We tried the new pavilions on the beach, it is worth the money - you have all your needs (electricity outlet, small refrigirator and a safe for your valuables) plus great service. The rooms are a little bit old but well maintained and very clean. Looking forward to my next trip mid September...

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Pelosa
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This year was our 7th visit to the Xanadu. I was expecting a lot after it was shut for 4 months to have work done. I was expecting the reception and Irish bar to have been updated and the main buffet restaurant to have been given a facelift as well. But sadly not.

I don't think that guests have gained anything at all and in fact have lost quite a lot.
We had gained a glass balcony and more seating outside the Lobby and new towels.
We have lost the free room service and laundry ( you can add this to your package for 20 euros per room per day). We have lost the Turkish al a carte restaurant, the Irish Bar now does not start serving food until 10 pm.
The service was terrible and very slow the wait for drinks was 30 minutes or more after ordering. Sometimes we had to ask for drinks or a coffee 3 times before it appeared. In years gone by you did not have to catch a waiters eye they were there a few moments after you sat down now there is no urgency amongst the waiting staff. Tablecloths were not changed and tables not relaid.
The variety of food especially at breakfast and in the evening has been vastly reduced. At the evening buffet i eventually found it boring and the same dishes kept appearing.
The coffee in the main buffet restaurant has also been changed for a cheaper one, not nice.
Even the Spa managed to mess up our booking. Quite a few sunbeds need repairing.
Don't get me wrong the hotel provides a good holiday, but it is not special and it used to be.

The good thing about this resort is the size so it never feels busy, i like the fact that i could use the gym at 6am. The Xanadu needs to raise its game as there is a lot of competition out there.

Room Tip: Third floor is the non smoking floor
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank wendywuredhill
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We are a family of two adults and two children - boy aged 14 and girl aged 11. We stayed at the Xanadu mid August 2012 and had a very enjoyable holiday there.

The good points:

• Immaculate resort, very clean and well kept
• Huge choice of pools, sun-beds, entertainment, activities and restaurants
• Lovely private beach
• High quality (if not quite ‘5 stars’ in the true sense)
• Lovely rooms and well functioning air conditioning (essential in August)
• Very friendly staff, by and large

The less good points:

• Not enough for age group 11-16 to do, we thought
• Animation team a little bit invisible - hard to work out what was going on and when. Could be quite bad tempered on occasion
• Some of the guests (not Xanadu’s fault!)
• Service in restaurants mainly (but also elsewhere) very scratchy. Very rare they got an order 100% right.

Overall enjoyed the holiday and the resort very much. A few minor quibbles aside, thought it was a lovely resort.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank me3101
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My partner and I have just returned from a two week stay at the Xanadu. This was our second visit having stayed there for a week in 2010. We had read various reviews since our previous stay and were well aware that the resort had slipped down the ratings however we were confident we would enjoy our return. On booking the holiday through Thomas Cook I contacted the Xanadu to ask if it was possible to have the same room as before, their reply said whilst they couldn't promise the same room they would try their best so we were delighted on arrival to see our request had been met - big tick in the box for customer service. Check in took less than ten minutes and we were escorted to our room which was one of the bungalows set slightly back from the garden pool. We didn't receive a welcome drink at reception but to be honest it was 0400 and we weren't that bothered about it.
So how did our holiday compare to the last visit ? in our opinion things have improved. The staff seem a lot friendlier, they work very hard but generally keep a smile on their faces. if you thank them you get a "you're welcome" response and it does appear genuine. The standard of service in the dining room was on the whole good although during peak meal times especially the evening meal you may have to wait slightly longer for service. Some people have commented that the food lacks variety I have to disagree. Every night there is a large choice of meat and fish dishes often being cooked fresh in front of you. A large salad selection and local dishes give you plenty of options. Of course if you're going to pile everything on your plate every meal time then perhaps your options will reduce but we found you could eat a different meal every night. There are the a la carte dining options. We used the Chinese, Mexican twice and the italian twice. The italian was in our opinion the best. Yes it isn't fine dining but it makes a nice change to be waited on and use fine plates and glassware. The no under 12's in the restaurants is a good move. We had breakfast every morning in the Secret Garden Pool, it offers a selection of cereals, fresh fruit, eggs & bacon, smoked salmon, croissants etc you can even get a glass of champagne !!.
Our room was cleaned every day with clean towels and bedding changed every second day. We find the rooms to be more than adequate, comfortable and offering everything we need. One area that could be improved on would be the introduction of tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms now that you have to pay for room service. it's nice have the option of a cup of coffee whilst getting ready for the evening.
The pools are great, very clean. We tended to stick to the garden pool because it's quieter that being said we did notice more children using that pool this time round. The beach is great and offers you a cooling breeze during the hot afternoon. Plenty of sun beds in all areas and you don't need to get up at stupid o'clock to lay your towels out to reserve one.
Entertainment has certainly improved. The introduction of the beach foam party is great fun, we watched the Shrek and Zorro shows which were very good, the animation team do a great job. There is also regular live music at the Xanadu Bar. We go on holiday to enjoy some sunshine and relax and for that we find the Xanadu perfect. We met some lovely people both English and Turkish, it's remarkable the number of people we spoke to who were there on their 3rd or 4th visit. Could there be further improvements ? yes, we would like to see the bars stock Pimms, they have a good selection of international branded drinks and you cannot fault the very generous measures and I believe Pimms would be a popular addition. Overall this hotel offers us everything we want from a holiday, will I go again? yes and hopefully take friends with us to share the experience. Thank you Team Xanadu for another great stay.

Room Tip: The shop does sell inflatables and sun creams etc but they are a bit pricey so take your own. You ca...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple