“Disabled Travellers beware when booking with First Choice/Thomson”

Cornelia De Luxe Resort
Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Belek
Kilmarnock, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Disabled Travellers beware when booking with First Choice/Thomson”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

The Hotel itself was lovely, we had a swim up room as we were advised upon telephone booking that this was a good option for me as I am currently a wheelchair user and swim up rooms are on the ground floor, when I questioned the wooden steps in the brochure picture I was informed by an advisor from First Choice that the steps were for the 1st floor rooms. When I then arrived at the Hotel I was horrified to find that I was faced with 12 steps to get DOWN to the room, none of this was shown in the brochure or mentioned, The only mention of steps in the brochure is regarding the pool nothing at all about entrance to the the rooms. This made for an extremely dangerous and distressing situation for me, the rep was next to useless, upon returning home my response letter from First Choice/Thomson was to state that I should have done some background research before booking? I had in fact questioned with the booking advisor my situation regarding being a wheelchair user and my inability to do steps But their comments do make you question why have a travel advisor to help with your booking? I asked to be downgraded to the main Hotel building but was informed that the Hotel would be breaking it's contract as I had paid for a swim up room? I also requested special assistance as it is advertised in the brochure, this was only given at Manchester airport, I had to struggle the whole time in Turkey, the response letter stated that as this service is free it is not guaranteed? I would of been more than happy to pay for it. So please be aware that the information given is extremely hit and miss, there doesn't appear to be any training given to staff at First Choice regarding disability requirements for guests.

The Hotel itself has good disabled facilities ramps etc,The buffet is difficult to manage as the staff weren't very forthcoming with helping to carry things so it meant that myself & my partner ate at different times as by the time he got my food then went back to get his own mine was cold, I was unsure of the fact that it was all inclusive yet we had to pay for every a la carte?

Room Tip: Ask for a specific disabled room if that's what you need First Choice/Thomson are clueless on th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank c B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vienna
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Our golf club organized a week "all inclusive golf holiday" in this resort. Without asking, we were automatically upgraded to a "swim up" suite which is big, very suitable for honeymooners and families. The suite has a good size, a nice cozy living area, a big comfortable bed, in the bathroom, there is a jacuzzi, a toilet and a small shower room. The furniture looks tired, the whole hotel needs a revamp in my honest opinion.
The air conditioning at this time of the year is no longer in operation, instead, warm air comes out of the ventilation once the climate-control has been switched on, we were told that A/C works only in summer. We were in Belek for a week (Nov. 3-10) and the first few days were hot and humid in the evening, but we couldn't use the A/C, we had to let the sliding door of the living room open for the whole night to get fresh air. The safe in the room served its purpose, nothing was stolen as some reviewers warned.
The food is plentiful and with lots of choices, service is prompt and the servers are friendly and helpful.
I love their 24 hour room service, although the choices are limited, the service is efficient and fast. The laundry is incredibly fast, had our laundry bag collected in the morning, by 2 pm, all the clothes delivered in excellent condition.
Most of the staffs are friendly and polite, the cleaning staffs are meticulous.
Our group had a wonderful time in Belek and enjoyed staying in this hotel. We love the place and will definitely be back because of the wonderful golf courses around Belek. There are lots of nice hotel resorts in the area, we might try another one next trip.
One regret we had was that we were busy playing golf and never had time to use the swimming pool in front of our apartment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Maximilliane
Stroud
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I had a week all inclusive at this hotel with four rounds of golf. We found the rooms spacious and comfortable, although a little warm, with friendly and efficient staff. Food was plentiful and varied but as always even the many choices would not suit everyone and the main restaurant was a little canteenlike. At this time of the year a number of the restaurants are closed but it is worthwhile paying a 10 euro supplement to eat at the French or Italian restaurants, around the outside dining areas you will see a lot of cats which isn't particularly 5 star.
A regular shuttle bus with a friendly driver will take you to the Faldo course where as a couple you will be paired with others who will probably be staying at the hotel.
This makes for some very enjoyable evenings in the bar so don't go to bed early.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cotswoldgolfer
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Unfortunately I was very disappointed with the Cornelia De Luxe on many levels.

The staff were often rude and disinterested and it took until very late in the day for the cleaners to attend to our room - meaning often when I wanted to shower there were no clean towels. On one day they didn't even come!

The food was very poor. A wide selection was provided but it was of low quality and often very cold.

The rooms were garish and the beds extremely uncomfortable. There was no option of air conditioning as the hotel considered us to be in winter - even though temperatures exceeded 27 degrees C on days.

Overall I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, extremely disappointing.

Room Tip: I would avoid booking a room at all!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank DisplayName_2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Have recently spent a week at ths fully inclusive hotel with my husband and two friends I could thoroughly recommend a holiday here. The buffets were good but as it was coming towards the end of the season a number of restaurants in the grounds were closed. We also ate in the French and Italian restaurants which were most enjoyable and well worth the ten euro supplement. The service was excellent and guest relation staff were very helpful. Hotel, grounds and room were kept to a very high standard. We were upgraded to a junior suite which was extremely spacious and very comfortable. We played two rounds of golf at the Faldo course which belongs to the hotel which was most enjoyable although no scarcity of trees!

Room Tip: The junior suites by the poolside are delightful although they do not get a lot of sun but there are...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank joanmorrison
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We were expecting a lot from the Cornelia De Luxe Resort having read the reviews here. Unfortunately we suffered mediocrity on a grand scale. There were cats in the restaurants and around the pools, the food was plentiful but poor and the staff, with a few notable exceptions, were disinterested and unhelpful.
I would certainly advise anyone to give this hotel a wide berth.

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank DelaneyMcLintock
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 11 nights with my partner and our 10 year old daughter. To make it simple here's a pros/ cons list
Pros- we found staff very helpful and friendly without the need to tip for it, I saw no German/ English preferential treatment going on personally. The staff manning the bar at the Hedra in the evenings made our nights :) thank you (Hussain and others)

Quick transfer to room

Hotel is very clean as are the pools

I found the pool water plenty warm enough- there is a heated pool in main hotel also.

Guest relations are very helpful

Food was brilliant- we spent most nights in the alacarte, well worth the €10, daughter was always free

Entertainment was great- especially the brought in acts

Entertainment team didn't hassle if you want to relax

Lots of different areas to sit and have a drink or cake

Food available all times of day in lots of places!

Sun beds were available everywhere all times of the day and towels available with towel card (or help yourself towels in swim up room area and indoor pool)

My daughter enjoyed the kids club a few times

Slides were great fun- lifeguard only stepped in a few times to calm people down

Tractor to town by entrance €1- bargain

Our room was brilliant!!! Junior swim up suite. We loved having the steps down to the pool. Top tier of room is shower/ toilet/ sink/ jacuzzi bath/ small balcony area. All toiletries you need are here. Dove shampoo etc. bath robes and hair drier. Second tier our massive bed (quite firm). Third tier the sofa bed, fridge, wardrobe, dressing table area and doors onto balcony and steps to pool. Very quick walk to main hotel area

Cleaners were great! We experienced no loss of belongings etc.

We made great friends in the rooms next door. Hello hot chocolate!

There are many more pros. Very relaxing hotel

Cons- no reception on arrival- I was looking forward to a glass of bubbly :(

Arrived in room to find no bed for our daughter. Did my best to make up sofa bed but had to call reception as no linen. Guest relations said first choice hadn't informed them we even had a child- thanks first choice! Paid enough for her

Room service food wasn't brilliant but lots of choice- no tea/coffee making facilities in room and when requested by room service it was Luke warm on arrival so went without

No iron in room and none available to borrow- fire risk they say but there is a laundary service at a charge- we just sported the creased look

We had a complaint from a fellow guest at 12am for laughing too loud- sorry Margaret

Beware wet steps in the room! I sprained my wrist falling down them (I wasn't even drunk!)

The chocolate man was a bit strange at first- opening door in the evening and throwing chocs on the bed- became a laugh though

Our mini-bar wasn't well topped up- had to try and catch him down the corridor and get beer/coke etc otherwise it would have been water left only

That's enough cons as we all loved the holiday and would go back tomorrow!
Genuinely wouldn't call it 5* though due to the minor things :)

• Stayed October 2012