“Visit it!”

Slovenian Coast Day Trip from Ljubljana
Ranked #1 of 51 things to do in Koper
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary stands in the location of a former ancient building - a Roman basilica. The history of the Cathedral goes back to the 12th century, when the city acquired its own diocese. Today's front combines Gothic (the lower part) and Renaissance styles (the upper part). The Cathedral keeps numerous treasures: the big altar painting "Madonna with Child on the Throne and Saints", painted by Vittore Carpaccio in 1516, the stone sarcophagus of Koper's patron saint, St. Nazarius from the 15th century, etc. Town tower in Tito square, once romanic forticication, became a bell tower in 15th / 17 th century. It houses one of the oldest bells in Slovenia, dating back to 1333. From the panoramic point (43 metres) you can see the nearby and distant surroundings of the city Koper.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Interesting church with separated bell tower. In a good shape, you can't miss it, since city Koper is small and it is reachable from parking at the old town enter in a few minutes.On Saturday afternoon parking is free.

6  Thank Djurdjica_Remenar

Reviewed March 8, 2013

When in Koper, you realy must climb up the Bell Tower's roof. I suggest you start the sight-seeing with this attraction.
I had a map of the old town in my hand, and with one eye on it, I inspected the town well. I think Koper's old town is a tipical adriatic-venetian structure. All those red/orange roofs from a bird's view always charms me. It absolutely worths to see, don't miss it. And really, it is really funny to plan your city tour not from a map but from above.

8  Thank Bálint K
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I was on a mini cruise of the Adriatic Coast and the cruise ship called at Koper. I took a guided tour with a local guide which was excellent. This is a beautiful place to visit and Koper is a very atmospheric place. It was the first port of call after leaving Venice and as it was early in the summer there weren't many tourists around. When I disembarked from the ship there was light rain but it cleared up after. There are lots of places to see in this relatively small place and lots of watering holes and eateries.

11  Thank Purryo
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Praetorian Palace and the Bell Tower on Tito Square are a beautiful attraction for you to see. When you climb the bell tower you will the whole city.
beautiful view

7  Thank Udosport
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I am not sure what I expected of the old city Koper but I ended up some what disappointed. Although Venetian in origin, which is fine, I was looking for something Slovenian but found Venetian. We walked the old city returning to the main square for refreshment and I found Slovenian beer which was just like any lager beer, fizzy. One point I did notice was the cleanliness of the old city, no graffiti. Perhaps a trip inland would have shown me Slovenian, I shall have to return.

4  Thank PD_SD