“Full of character”

Restavracija Manta
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Although this restaurant's on the main drag near the sea it took a bit of finding. You have to go through one of the non-descript modern shopping centres/markets and then up a ramp to the first floor. Bear in mind that it faces the sea and you'll get there eventually. The environs scream 1970's Yugoslavia rather than 21st century Slovenia but I kind of like that. Inside it's pretty spacious with big picture windows overlooking the park/port and it's a pleasantly bright and unfussy space to spend some time.

Lunchtime service was by an older woman who I'm sure must be the one referred to as 'mama' in another review (this is clearly a small-scale family concern) and she made the whole experience. Communication was somehow improvised in a mixture of Slovenian, Italian. German, English and Czech but we managed in the end and she was utterly charming and welcoming throughout and her personality made the whole meal.

To be perfectly honest the ordering ended up being slightly shambolic with some dishes not being available, others limited and some people not getting what they thought they ordered. I'd suggest that you don't bother going if this sort of thing makes you irate but if you go with the flow and take a relaxed attitude you'll end up with fantastic food. The menu's pretty small and almost exclusively fish based but if you like your seafood the mussels, prawns and sea bass were marvellous. I ended up with a mystery white fish as part of my assortment; I still have no idea what it was but it was the best thing I ate on the trip. Excellent local beers and wines helped us to adapt to the slightly leisurely service.

Overall the hospitality was second to none including the complementary grappa (which was so potent it knocked me out for an hour lying in the sunshine afterwards). The prices were extremely reasonable and a bargain for fish and seafood that's so fresh.

This place isn't for everyone, particularly if you need your fix of meat, but I'd go back there without any hesitation.

1  Thank Jdian

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We ate here a couple of times during our stay in Koper. On these cool April nights the restaurant was quiet, but don't let that put you off. The fish was fresh and well cooked, the service prompt. On the first night we had the grilled prawns, which were the size of small lobsters! Really delicious. On the second visit, we had some calamari which were equally tasty. The restaurant is tucked away over the market, but definitely worth seeking out.

1  Thank Pipmack
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I'm there many times, because the location is excellent, parking is excellent, atmosphere is Sea-atic and very nice (rather special one with a great view on the park and sea), service is excellent (because the waiter ask you what is in the menu, rememberes what you ate last time, he is kind, funny and full of jokes and very fast).
The food is the best I've ever eaten around, price is very good and also because he has a discount on everything you eat and drink and also for the delivery to your home, office,... I specially recomment the sea food, because is over the top.

Have a nice meal!

2  Thank Deni B
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We were thrilled - great seafood of different varieties, a true family business with "Mama" cooking. The atmosphere is maybe rather basic, but not the food! We were very happy and will certainly go again next time we are in the area.

Also, the price for the food we had was very good value.

Note that the location is on the second floor above a row of other restaurants at the start/end of the promenade

2  Thank Kibofan
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We read the review on tripadvisor and found this restaurant to be really excellent. The service was kind, considerate, and respectful, the food was very tasty and well composed. The location is quiet and with a beautiful view over the ocean. We would go again and recommend this place highly.

1  Thank Collin B