“A wonderful time!”
Review of Casa Das Flores

Casa Das Flores
Ranked #5 of 10 Tomar B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 24, 2012

My husband booked the B&B with Carolyn and John and I can say I was pleasantly surprised. On arriving they were wonderful hosts, poor John had to even come out and rescue us as we got lost! We arrived and Carolyn had prepared an evening meal for us which was absolutely lovely - I am a fussy eater but after eating that first evening meal, my husband and I dined at Casa Das Flores for most of our stay there.

Our room was tastefully decorated and clean and we had a little sitting out area with a balcony which looked out onto a beautiful valley. We slept very well for the 8 nights we were there.

Although John and Carolyn were always 'pottering' around, my husband and I felt very welcome and never in the way. We spent many of our afternoons just chilling by the pool drinking Portuguese wine.

We had a lovely relaxed breakfast, made by Carolyn every morning which tasted wonderful - I am not sure whether it was Carolyn's skills in the kitchen or the wonderful Portuguese local produce that she purchased - or indeed both, but food has never tasted so good.

On leaving (which we didn't want to do) we felt sure we had made some good friends and will hopefully see them again if our own place is incomplete by Christmas. Though even if it's complete, I am sure that Carolyn and John would welcome an impromptu visit.

I would recommend this place to everyone, it had all we needed but I have to say - most of all - it was Carolyn's excellent cooking, lovely warm nature and also John's funny sense of humour that made our stay.

John and Carolyn, if you read this, you deserve to be number one on Tripadvisor in Portugal - without a doubt!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 8, 2012

My father, husband and myself had another stay in lovely, peaceful rural Portugal with John and Carolyn our hosts, this time for a 10 day stay. Again, things were just how they should be, clean bedrooms, comfortable beds with lots of pillows as we had requested, clean bathrooms and our diets provided for excellently. (Diabetic and vegetarian). The weather was hot and so the pool provided a very nice facility. My father and Carolyn helped one of the locals dig up his potato crop in a field near the house which my father found very enjoyable, especially as we were eating some of those potatoes that evening!! By coincidence, England were playing football and so we watched the match at the local cafe/bar, again the locals are very friendly towards us and the bar bill unbelievably cheap!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DeborahLancashire
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We returned to Casa Das Flores for the second time in eight months and it was just like going back to visit friends. The hospitality was excellent and nothing was too much trouble for Carolyn and John. We stayed during a rainy spell which meant that it was not as warm as when we first visited so Carolyn was on hand to offer hot water bottles if needed. The food was wonderful with home made soups offered some nights along with crusty warm bread and followed with such things as steak pie, pork fillet in sauce, chicken in a white wine sauce and a cottage pie ( requested by us ) all with various potatoes and garden vegetables. These were followed by such things as home made crumble, strawberries and cream, and a traditional fruit cake dessert which was lovely. Breakfast is set up for you to help yourself to cereals and orange juice and you are then offered eggs ( in any shape or form ) or beans on toast followed by extra toast so that you can sample Carolyns home made jam or marmalade and of course plenty of tea or coffee.
The rooms as mentioned in my last review are clean and modern in decor and the fluffy white robes and towels supplied save having to pack these yourselves.
On a nice night there is the barbecue area to sit and enjoy the night warmth whilst enjoying a glass of the local wines that John has in his wine rack..... John will always pick up anything you may need in the local town when he goes in to do the shopping ( only do not ask him to get you new potatoes as he forgets to collect them and blames Carolyn !!! ) Cheers bud .....
We love staying with this fantastic couple in their comfortable B&B and will return soon I hope.

Room Tip: any of the rooms are good
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Julie1950
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This is the 2nd time we have stayed with John & Carolyn and the hospitality does not change it is still super. So much so that it was part of our decision to buy a house near Tomar. If your are looking for a lovely place to stay in Tomar this is it and don't forget to have an evening meals here, Carolyn should be on Master Chef. We have booked a few more night when we move into our house next month. Well done guys, best B & B in Tomar!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2012

John and Carolyn put us up in their lovely B&B for 3 nights in March, all 10 of us in our family party. They made us feel very comfortable. My 16 year old son was sick one day and they reassured us they would provide whatever he needed while some of us travelled to Fatima that day. We took advantage of the great dinners they provide 2 nights of the 3. Our last night there, we treated Carolyn and John to dinner in a lovely restaurant in Tomar called O Tabuleiros and had a great time!

While there, check out the incredible Knights of Templar Convent in Tomar and the old aqueduct on the way into town. Kids could not believe you can actually climb up and walk along the aqueduct; parents held their breath. This is a beautiful part of Portugal and you can't go wrong making Casa Das Flores your home base while you visit.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Kelly M
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Great value for money B&B, very clean, well decorated spacious rooms. John & Caroline are fabulous hosts and really make you feel at home. Tip: you must book the dinner, as it is wonderful and you won't regret it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank HaicovdS
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I looked on the internet, found Casa Das Flores and emailed John & Carolyn asking if they had accomodation for the next 5 nights for a house hunting trip, back came the reply sorry we only have room during the next 4 nights, I replied 'Yes thats OK'. This turned out to be one of my better decisions. John & Carolyn were absolutely super and although we have only known them for a very short time we would like to classify them as Best Friends. My wife & I have stayed at a large number of 4 & 5 star hotels across Europe and never have we been made more welcome. When we move to Tomar we hope that John & Carolyn will be our first visitors, it will be an honour to welcome them in our new home.

Room Tip: If you wish to have the best room in the house at Casa Das Flores, make sure you take a tin of spam...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple