“A original menu in Tomar”
Review of Casas Das Ratas

Casas Das Ratas
Ranked #8 of 108 Restaurants in Tomar
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed the experience of eating there. The service is superb and the food is prepared with original recipes. It is very local food and with the way they served it, you can feel like being during the old times in Portugal. One of the best cuisines in Portugal.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

The food was excellent and the service was good. I had a wonderful gazpacho to start with followed by a stew, which on the face of it sounds rather boring but it was rather the opposite. The portions are large, something the waitress pointed out on ordering as a consequence order a half portion of stew which was more than enough. The restaurant is small and atmospheric with my only slight gripe being the tiny stools that you have to sit on. By the end of the evening I had a decidedly sore backside but it was worth it for the food!!

1  Thank AB1957
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The best and most fun meal I had in Portugal, and I've had a lot of bad meals I the last week....:( the restaurant was also filled with locals, which is always a very good sign.

Recommended by a friend, we had a relaxing lunch in this local tavern.

Food was fabulous - the amuse-boushe was to die for - the cheese - ohhhhh, with olives and farmers bread. I ordered roasted chorizo and my friend had the gazpacho. Both were delicious. We then had the salted code chickpea salad and grilled veal belly. Both were great! I'm not a salted code fan, but this was delicate and tangy and very refreshing. The veal was thin, on the bone and grilled to perfection. Was served with lovely kale.

All tables are set with small wine glasses, almost like a super mini pint glass. As a tavern, there were 8 huge barrels of wine as decoration in the tiny space. The idea is to taste your way through the meal.

Lots of interesting things on the wall, and a cool and interesting wine / tavern theme through out the restaurant

Good service, but booking is a must. They turned away many people as the place is so small. But, the restaurant across the lane is where the kitchen is. So you can have the same meal, just without the wonderful ambience!

Truly a fabulous find!!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Casas Das Ratas is a small traditional restaurant in the centre of Tomar. The menu has a good variety of fish and meat, and offers some good portuguese wines, as well. We ejoyed our dinner so much that the following day, after visiting the Tomar monastery, we returned there to have lunch!
The first night we had a gazpacho (one of the best I ever had!), liver cooked with onions and a feijoada with chorizo and pork sausage, the following day I had the chorizo with fried fish and my boyfriend had a bachalau and chickpeas salad.
The food was delicious, probably the best we had in portugal, and the price reasonable - 20/25 euros per person with a bottle of wine.
The service was good, but just a bit slow, but it's not a big deal if you want to enjoy a relaxing dinner.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We decided to have dinner in this restaurant after reading tripadvisor reviews: it has been even better!
We ordered a gazpacho, one liver dish and one fejoada with squids; everything was tasty, well cooked and the dishes really abundant!
Since the dinner was fantastic we returned the next day for lunch when we ate another gazpacho and a cold bachalau salad; we were satisfied as the previous meal.
Price are convinent: 35/40 € for a complete meal