Herdade da Matinha
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Verdemar(Cercal)
$86
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Apartamento Porto Covo(Porto Covo)(Great Value!)
$85
Monte Xisto Hotel Rural(Santiago do Cacem)
$135
$125
Agoda.com
HS Milfontes Beach(Vila Nova de Milfontes)
$80
$77
  • Pool
Duna Parque(Vila Nova de Milfontes)(Great Value!)
$103
$100
  • Pool
Hotel Dom Nuno(Santiago do Cacem)(Great Value!)
$88
$111
$81
  • Bar/Lounge
$78
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsalfredohorse ridingset menuevery morningcommon areas arecouples and familiesother handkids roomcosta vicentinabeautiful settinggreat atmospherean open kitchenbreakfast and dinnernice beachesgreat tasteprivate terracesmall children
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Having read some not very positive tripadvisor reports and arriving travel weary and looking rather grubby, I was not sure how we would be welcomed at Herdade de Matinha. To put it simply, with open arms!
Monica (always working yet impossibly glamourous), Alfredo (a charismatic host) and their whole team have created a warm, welcoming and hip hostelry where no guest's request is too much trouble.
Rooms are in the upper and lower house and my partner and I stayed in one of the new rooms in an annex to the lower house (gorgeous!). My mother and sister stayed in a twin room in the upper house. Both were lovely - ours had a small patio out front and a lovely deck out back shaded with an olive tree. In both houses there are many living rooms of different sizes to relax in during the day and at night the guests gather in the kitchen, the dining room and the patio adjacent for a magnificent evening meal. The mix of guests when we were there was mostly Portuguese families, a lovely Dutch family and us (UK/USA mix), so (rightly) the main language is Portuguese but Alfredo and Monica seem to be fluent in about five other languages so no barriers there and all were made equally welcome.
The food (breakfast and dinner, snacks and picnics on request) and wine list were excellent and very fairly priced (seemed amazing value to us coming from London).
There are extensive grounds to walk through, laden with fruit trees and beautiful plants and trees. The pool area is great for relaxing and never seemed to be crowded, long swimming pool good for real exercise and there are also horses on site. My mum walks with a cane but was able to get around using the well lit paths throughout the property.
This is a very special property and we were so sorry to leave after just one night but are planning a return. There is so much to do on site and in the vicinity - lovely beaches 15 mins. drive away and some interesting villages.
This is a great place for families but also romantic for couples and although the Herdade was packed full of children of all ages when we were there, they were beautifully behaved and had plenty of places to disappear off to after dinner and leave the adults to linger over the wine!
If you're not used to Portuguese roads, get clear directions to get to the Herdade or it could be difficult to find, specially after dark. We found that there seems to be a dual numbering system for the roads which took a few days to get used to!
Thank you to Monica, Alfredo, their family and team for a very special stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2011

The general idea of this place is being in a forsaken location embedded in a beautiful landscape where you can do whatever you please.
It would have been so if there weren't so many young (too young) children there in that specific date. Reading or relaxing by the pool was impossible, because you couldn't even hear the birds...
You breathed an informal atmosphere - but we felt it a little bit too informal. Upon arrival, it took us 15 minutes wandering about the facilities trying to find anyone to assist us. But, once found, they welcomed us very well.
Our package included breakfast as well as dinner. Breakfast was tasty, although it was rather scarce for people who cannot eat pork or are vegetarian.
For dinner, the menus were - at the very least - bold. The entrees were divine. The wine selection was broad. The two-course meals always had meat and fish/seafood. But, once again, the meat was always pork, which left us only the vegetables alongside. However, that detail aside, it was all very tasty - though in smaller quantities... After all, it is a gourmet vacation site. We would like to suggest the purchase of an expresso machine.
We particularly enjoyed the idea of the owners' and their family dining alongside with the guests. It was refreshing.
We would like also to point out the immense amount of water wasted away because the boilers were so far from the lodgings. The first time we tried to use hot water, we thought the boiler was turned off or not working, so we asked for some help. The staff told us it was normal and that we had to let the water run for about 5 minutes straight for it to heat up... Personally, it broke my heart so I ended up having cold showers. As it was summer, it wasn't so bad.
We respect the owners' idea - peace and quite and being away from the "outside world" - but a TV set in the bedroom would be a huge plus, especially if you're staying for more than a weekend.
We highly recommend horse-back riding. It's only 45 minutes long, but it's so worthwhile it. The horse carers (a girl and a boy) are exceptional. I'm very sorry I didn't get their names... The horses are pure-breed and magnificent specimens. I rode on Oscar's back and he was very docile. Mind you it was my first time and I loved it.

All in all, those were very good days and it was worth the money spent. It is another level of having your vacations. And we took the chance to know a bit more of our own country. Thank you, Monica and Alfredo.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Herdade da Matinha exceeded all my expectations. Set in the most beautiful part of Portugal, I spent 3 forgettable days there. Food was out of this world, rooms were beautiful and comfortable and the owners were charming! Strongly recommend!
Janette Ramsay

Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 7, 2011

You arrive and you just have to stay for a 5* dinner, it's an all inclusive dinner for 35+drinks, even so, we recommend it! You are in a farm, with horses, nature and relaxing time... just 15 kms from the VN Milfontes beach.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2011

I loved my stay at Herdade da Matinha, a rural hotel in Alentejo, and I strongly recommend it.
I was very tired when I got there, needing to “recharge” my batteries. After a few days there I felt brand new!
The place is beautiful, peaceful, and the colours of the countryside, of the house and paintings (painted by the owner) are still in my mind.
I miss already the delicious meals I had there, prepared by Alfredo. The great variety of food they served for breakfast was quite unique for a countryside hotel. And the quality was one of best!
The all family was very friendly, and in spite of being on my own, I always got their company when I needed it.
I’m already planning a weekend to go back to Herdade da Matinha.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo