“It should be called WAITvue”

The Bellevue Manila
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Muntinlupa
Manila, Philippines
“It should be called WAITvue”
Reviewed June 24, 2008

Ahhh... The Bellevue... the name has such a nice ring to it... Unfortunately, a name is just a name if you can't back it up with great service. Needless to say, I was very DISAPPOINTED.

It was a stormy afternoon when we waited for the shuttle service of the Bellevue to pick us up at the Festival Mall (which arrives every 30 minutes or so they say). But since there was no shuttle (and it was past the 30-minute period), I had to call the hotel and ask for a pick-up (TSK!). The shuttle came after about 10-15 minutes of waiting and we were soon on our way to the hotel.

We checked in and went to our room. It was quite a small room with a mini kitchen and sink. It wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but it was OK. The first thing I looked at was the TV. Although some of the regular channels were blocked, the TV was sufficient enough (although I get better channels at home).

Since we availed of the weekend promo, there was a complimentary fruit basket, a few bottles of water, 2 welcome drinks, 2 breakfast buffets, 2 buffet dinners, and one ticket stub to an event that was being held there at the time.

Looking inside the closet, I noticed that there was only one set of slippers and one bathrobe. I immediately called for an extra pair of slippers and a robe, but had to wait for almost an hour before getting it (it took 3 calls to the front desk and the robe I asked for was "small" but they gave us "medium"... TSK!). After the long wait, I finally got comfortable on the bed which was ok (but I thought, it wasn't leveled. It was kinda leaning on one side).

When it was time for us to have dinner, I placed the "make room" sign on the door. We had a nice buffet dinner but when we came back after about 3 hours, the sign was still there, and the room wasn't made (TSK!).

The breakfast buffet was something we were looking forward to. It had a good selection of your typical breakfast favorites and some pastries and different kinds of bread. It was OK.

The main thing I didn't like about our stay here was the service. The staff were not pleasant and in some instances, seemed rude. They are slow to act and in my opinion, needs to be trained a little more in customer service. I hated calling the operator/front desk because the person on the other line seemed tired/bored.

I wouldn't want to stay in this hotel again. I would rather stay somewhere else where I feel like I'm really a GUEST.

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — All the waiting (shuttles, housekeeping, etc.), The uncourteous staff, slow elevators
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DrHouseMd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed May 21, 2008

I stayed at the Bellevue twice, once in April and once in early May, 2008. Both business reasons, for 2 nights each. The first time I was charged 7,000 PHP (with taxes about $180.00/night). The second time I was charged 11,000 PHP (about $250/night). The 2nd time was a suite, not needed but they claimed that's all that was available...who knows? Nice, friendly staff, very good included buffet breakfast, custom omelets and a good choice of American along with local cuisine. It's just too much to spend for a few nights, although that seems to be the rule wherever you travel to today. Not much nearby to do, a very big mall (Festival Mall) w/in walking distance (very hot in April, that's the beginning of their summer). An outdoor food court next door to the hotel with 24-hour McDonalds, 7-11, and a few local fast food outlets. Lots of security everywhere you go, I always felt safe although I didn't travel to downtown Manila. Many nearby businesses are 24-hour customer service sites in various languages mostly staffed by young college grads.

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank mas215
New Jersey
Reviewed May 6, 2008

We chose Bellevue Alabang because the wedding reception of a relative is held there. We booked directly two months prior and specifically emphasized a non-smoking floor. We were placed in a smoking-room. Of course, we were moved to a non-smoking but this time, with smaller beds. We have an infant so a portable crib was waiting and prepared. The minute we stepped in the lobby, you will feel the Filipino hospitality and excellent service. . Refreshments were served. All employees are very helpful and prompt with our requests. They do not even wait for their gratuity tip. Because of this, we doubled our tips because of their humility and promptness. The rooms are clean and well-equipped. The gym is also equipped. The pool is also nice. Mcdonald's and Starbucks are along the street and open 24 hours for call-center employees who work nearby. Starbucks served good corned beef pandesal. Yum! Some foreign expats have complained the tardiness of the hotel shuttle pick-up from the Commercial centers in Alabang and Fil-Invest which is a mile away. This should be improved. The hotel is located a mile away from the nice restaurants and stores of the Alabang Town Center near the busy Alabang-Zapote Road. Walking is not safe because of all the cars and jeepneys along that road. Overall, I will give this a 7 out of 10 because of overpricing. We will stay here again if not for their rates.

• Liked — Comfort
  • Disliked — Over-priced room rates
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Thereh68
Bangkok
Reviewed November 20, 2007

I have stayed there a number of times and decided after last time - NEVER again.
It is no where near a 5 start hotel as they claim and is way overpriced for its standard.
Nice entrance, nicely dressed staff but ordinary rooms - mouldly bathroom on both occasions - I spoke to the manager who listens but DOESN'T do anything. Inflexible, accusing and rude when a mistake was made by THEIR own front desk staff for check in and late check out.
Same price as Manilla Hyatt and Casino where I have previously stayed even though it is and hours drive away I would alway stay at a true 5 stay hotel and never here again.
3 previous stays - they haven't learnt.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Attitude of management and dirty bathrooms on all visits
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank bbthefe
USA
Reviewed October 11, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for 7 weeks for business. I have traveled numerous times for businees and stayed in hotels for longer periods of time and have been happily satisfied. The Bellevue is a beautiful hotel and within walking distance to my office. The pool area is pretty although small and the gym is modern and clean. The pastery shop has wonderful delicious cakes which I purchased often for my office. The spa services are over priced. The shuttle to and from Alabang Town Center and Festival Mall are very convenient and free.

Now to the problems. The food variety. Well there is not varity. It is the same food everyday for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. What is served at breakfast and not finished is served at lunch and then dinner. If it is still not finished it will be served again for breakfast the next day. With the exception of the made to order eggs on the breakfast buffet, the food that should be hot is cold and the food that should be cold is room temperature. One day I went to get some cheese from the covered cheese tray and found little bugs crawling on the cheese. I informed the chef at the egg station who said thank you and did nothing about it. I have also seen the cooking staff drop veggies on the floor and pick them back up and continue chopping without rewashing them. Another occasion I took some Cauliflower Gratin which was cold but I figured I could eat it. As I was looking at the food I noticed that the cauliflower had started to rot and there was black mold on it. I constantly had to ask them to reheat my tea because everytime they brought it to me it was only warm. The staff in the restaurant with the exception of the hostess who actually learned my name, was impossible to track down when you needed a refill or salt on your table but had the bill sitting there even before you returned from getting your food. The eggs benedict is good however they are old and sit under the heat lamp (which does not heat) for so long that the Hollendaise sauce turnes hard. The Penne Pomodoro on the buffet is good but cold. Stay away from the cut fruit because they leave it sitting out for so long without proper refridgeration that some of my counterparts got sick from eating it.

Now to the staff. Everyone is very willing to say Hi and Hello however if you ask for something perpare to wait a long time to get it. I always had to call numerous time for my laundy to be returned to my room. When I received a copy of my bill there were numerous mistakes on it. I was charged for the free meal that was included with my room. I was charged for food I did not eat from the mini bar, my laundry was not billed correctly, and the staff at the desk did not know how to handle it. I constantly had to write a note to the cleaning staff to replace the free water, fruit, and tea in my room. Once I came back to my room during work as I had forgotten something and found the cleaning crew in my room, however they were not cleaning they were watching TV. I never had anything missing from my room. I had to call numerous times due to the noise that interrupted my sleep made by employees working on the walls in the hallway. The rooms are clean but the beds are very hard and the shower leaks.

Overall I was disappointed in my stay at this hotel and would not stay there for any length of time again.

• Liked — Location to my office
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank queen5364
El Monte
Reviewed May 5, 2007

While on company business for seven weeks The Bellevue was above average. It felt like we never left the states. The food at the hotel was excellent, the room was clean and most important the staff was out of this world !!! When I return to Alabang......I will stay at The Bellevue !!!!

Brian

bmurphy615@yahoo.com

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — too close to the office
  • Stayed September 2004, traveled on business
2 Thank bmurphy
Agana, Mariana Islands
Reviewed April 1, 2007

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite at the Bellevue Manila for 8 days while going to the Asian Hospital for an executive physical. The rate was about $220 US arranged through AH and included daily buffet breakfast. I'm told this was a discounted rate and the hotel's website does show higher rack rates than this. The only complaint we had was that the bed configuration was a king & a double and there were 2 adults and 3 children in the suite with no pull out sofa bed. The hotel said they had suites with different bed configurations but it was on the 19th floor and the noise from the 20th floor bar/lounge may be an issue!

The rooms are clean and well decorated. It could pass as a serviced apartment/condo. However, there were no pots, pans, plates, cups, silverware, etc. in the kitchen. We didn't cook, but I wonder why they didn't have anything there as there was a stove, microwave, refrigerator and dining table. It would have been nice if there had been a washer & dryer in the suite or at least a guest laundry facility since we were there over a week.

The staff is hospitable as expected. The only complaint was that they could not arrange for us to play tennis at the nearby country clubs even though their brochure said they could! We brought our rackets and were quite disappointed. Found out later we were probably talking to the wrong concierge because we were told upon check out that the owner of the hotel is a country club member and we could have played had the arrangements been made in advance.

Location to hospital & shopping is very convenient with a complimentary shuttle service that drops you off and picks you up mostly on demand except for peak times when it runs every half hour.

There is a small pool, fitness center and spa. Didn't use the spa, opt for The Spa at the Alabang Town Center instead! It's a wonderful place and very inexpensive for a massage and a great facility.

The breakfast buffet will fill you up and there is a good variety to choose from cold to hot entrees and sugary pastries, bread and fruits, juices, vegies, sushi. After 3 or 4 days, though, we started getting tired of it since it becomes so routine. My son loved the cook to order eggs though!

At this time the only other hotel in the vicinity that is comparable is the Vivere Suites. There is another budget condotel called Parque Espana, but it fits the 3 star category and I didn't like the fact that it had window units for air conditioning. Much cheaper, though, so if you're not particular about your accomodations check them out.

If we ever go back we'll probably book 2 rooms instead of a suite, since we really didn't need much of what was there and didn't spend too much time in the room other than to sleep.

• Liked — Shuttle service, breakfast buffet, fast & free internet access in room
  • Disliked — No guest laundry
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family