“A little gem”

Alam Asmara Dive Resort
Ranked #4 of 19 Candidasa B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 23, 2011

This hotel is a little gem. It’s quite small with a number of little individual chalets off a main walkway, surrounded by gardens and ponds with fish. There is a lovely pool and a restaurant area. The rooms are squeaky clean, a lovely comfortable netted four poster bed and TV. The main room however was too small for us to have both suitcases open (we were here 2 days as part of a tour) but we managed with a bit of manoevering. If you were staying longer though you could unpack a bit and would be fine. There was a safe. The bathroom is cool as is an ‘outside’ bathroom although very private and secure. The shower/bath area is all done in stone and it’s lovely having the fresh air whilst bathing. Also there was no problem with flooding or poor ventilation as experienced in other hotels in Bali. The staff were excellent, customer service skills were very good and without exception everyone was friendly and helpful, everyone from the receptionist to the waiting staff to the maintenance workers. We spent a lovely afternoon on the sun deck and had a lovely swim in the lovely cool pool. There were tea and coffee facilities on the veranda of each chalet – a hot water jug being replenished each day. There was a choice of 4 set menus (seafood, chicken, beef, vegetarian) for our dinner on the first night, a set lunch the following day and a BBQ evening on the 2nd evening we were there. The set menu dinners were really lovely – we had chicken and fish and the Indonesian lunch the following day was equally good. The BBQ buffet was good but the meat being cooked to order was not the best I’ve had and the organisation was a bit chaotic, but I didn’t really mind as had enough nice things to eat and had a few beers whilst watching some Balinese dancers the hotel had by the pool area that evening. Best of all we used the spa. For less than £50 my partner and I both had an amazing massage and treatments, for 2 hours. Bliss. I was sad to leave this hotel as really could have enjoyed a day or two more however there isn’t much to do locally outside and there isn’t a beach – we just stayed en route to our next destination, so if you’re looking for somewhere small and lovely to spend a couple of days on a tour I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 10, 2011

After arriving on a early morning flight we were promptly picked up from the airport by resort staff. Agus was exceptionally friendly and helpful during our stay and nothing was ever too much trouble with any of the staff. Our room was ready even though we were early, it was clean and what a surprise to walk the boardwalk to our room with all the running water and foliage you wouldn't know anyone else was at the resort. The food was great freshly cooked and plenty of variety. We did a days dive with YOS dive and had a fantastic day with them. Wish we stayed longer at Alam Asmara rather than Kuta was soooo quiet and relaxing. Would have liked to have known Alam Asmara support an orphanage as I would have taken clothing and school supplies for them in my half empty suitcase. We certainly will be repeat guests to Alam Asmara when we return for another holiday.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robyn R
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Entry of the resort wouldn't give you much expectation but once you step into the door, it clear my mind. It's a tiny resort but variety of plants, ponds of fishes, greenery pave way refresh my soul. Ideal for couples to spend few days here. Rooms are comparatively small, bathroom at back provide sufficient sunlight and space sharing half of the chalet. Small balcony in front is leisure for smoking and reading. Very good attendants gave us all their smiles and help. Food provided need improvement. YOS Bali dive center provide all our needs for diving. It was a present stay for us.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Kariasa W, General Manager at Alam Asmara Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2011

We thank you for your attention and have provided input to our resort, you may experience can be accepted by other tourists.

we would love if you can stay back at Alam Asmara.

on behalf of the management and staff would like to thank and we gladly await your return.

I Wayan Kariasa

Reviewed September 15, 2011

The entrance to Alam Asmara is hidden from the street with poor signage & looks like any other mediocre little resort when you arrive at it's entrance. But we thought we had died & gone to heaven when we walked down a draping tree flanked path, gold fish swimming either side, toward the ocean view & our Balinese villa. This place is gorgeous! We were luck y enough to be guests at a Balinese wedding in a near-by village & the staff went to all sorts of trouble to dress us appropriately & prepare us for a Hindu wedding. One of the staff members, Agus, was so helpful telling us about the history, religious & cultural practices & even loaned my partner head-gear & sarongs teaching us the way to tie them - differently for men & women.
We had a morning sailing from the peer in front of the hotel & went snorkelling discovering the most spectacular display of fish either of us had ever seen.
The food was great, especially the lobster as a special treat - we shared one for a late dinner - splurging the grand total of $17. For a change in Bali the wine was ok & not expensive. I will definitely return to Alam Asmara - soon!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Margot15021960
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Once found, the Alam Asmara is a great resort with a top atmosphere, cosy and clean rooms, impressive food and excellent service. Just a great stay!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Thanks Agus for making our stay at your hotel the best, you run a very tight ship and your staff were very attentive to our every need my family said your hotel was the highlight of our 17 day trip to Bali as we stayed in 3 other hotels as well. We hope to come back soon. Steve Bunbury West Australia

Room Tip: all rooms great
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this resort last month for 2 nights. We weren't sure what to expect, however, we were blown away by everything Alam Asmara had to offer. The service was excellent - especially from the wait staff, and the food was some of the best I have ever eaten in Bali. All our meals were fresh and served with great presentation. I loved the complimentary garlic bread we got with each meal. The restaurant is a perfect setting for romantic dinners at night and during the day you can't beat the view of the ocean.
Our room was lovely. To start with everything was very clean. Often I fear that Balinese hotels wipe things over rather than clean them properly with products and the floors never look clean but I didn't feel that was so at Alam Asmara. We loved the outdoor bathroom and the beds were extremely comfortable. We loved the fish ponds surrounding each bungalow and the gardens gave a real sense of privacy. The only thing I could recommend is putting DVD players and a kettle in the room.
I have recommended this hotel to everyone I know and I will definitely go back.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple