“Very good diving”
Review of Lotus Bungalows

Lotus Bungalows
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Candidasa
Reviewed April 30, 2010

If you are looking for a top notche dive operation in Candidasa, Lotus Bungalows is your place to go. The bungalows are quite small, but very clean. Staff is very friendly. Only small glitch is the food. If you love pizza your okay here (as they are very good), if you like indonesian food you may be dissappointed.
[ checking out we were by far not happy with the high exchange rate, transferring USD in Rupia at 10%+ above market price .... aauuch ]

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Duikertje

Reviewed January 23, 2010

Stayed here three nights and liked it so much we came back later in the trip for another week.

A small, quiet setting, we had a beautiful ocean-front bungalow for USD97 a night. No TV but that was a nice change. Beautiful pool right at the door with a massive daybed next to it for relaxing and taking in the view to Nusa Penida and Padang Bai. A much more interesting outlook than at Tuban/Kuta/legian in my opinion.

Good restaurant with a wide range of choice and not too expensive. Very friendly staff and they clean the rooms twice a day. Much more character than Nirwana resort just down the road. 10-minute walk into Candidasa.

Would definitely go back there.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 6, 2009

I chose to stay here because the pool looks really great in their website and I am so happy that it does look as great as I thought.
I have to admit that this hotel and Candidasa is so quiet that actually not my type of hotel to stay.. Luckily I was quite busy with myself learning diving or swimming in the great pool!! or just relax at my rooms or near the pool reading or sleeping :p//
You need 10min walk to go to cafe which I dont really want to since I am alone.. the road seems dark..

As for the rooms, it is very clean, neat, bathroom also.. there are some insect/ants I found but I think that is common in a cottage.

Anyway, the environment looks great but I would recommend this hotel for couples or traveling with friends..unless you come here alone to getaway from your hectic routines..

Overall, I enjoy my stay there and I would consider staying there when I wanna take the PADI diving license

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 26, 2009

My wife and I spent a week of our honeymoon at Lotus Bungalows. It was very relaxing around the pool and watching the swallows and bats swooping around at dusk was fantastic. It's diving centre GANGGA divers is a modern and great centre with environmentally conscious staff. You get half board which was handy because we could either have lunch or dinner in near by Candidasa (10 minute walk along the coast) and get a 'free' meal at the bungalow restaurant. The restaurant does lots of Italian food so we usually went to Candidasa in the evening for Bali food. Their internet is free and the outdoor bathroom in the room is lovely. Each 'bungallow' shares a wall with the neighbour, both are actually in one building and you can hear your neighbours talking etc through the joining wall... No mosquito nets in the superior rooms just aircon.
Luckily it was low season when we went but the weather was still great and there wasn't many other guests there. Candidasa is a great alternative to busy and tacky Kuta if you want views of the sea (there wasn't a proper beach at Lotus however clever the marketing photography is) but you will have to go to Padangbai (20 mins by car) if you want to go to a real beach. One last gripe - on their rates PDF on the website it says Payments
Rates are quoted and paid in US Dollars.
CREDIT CARD
By regulation of the National Bank of Indonesia we are not allowed to accept payments from abroad
by Credit Card, however we accept payment by VISA and MASTERCARD at the resort to pay the
extras. Cash US Dollars and Euro are also accepted.

We got a Travelex Visa electron card loaded up with US$ before we left the UK in order to pay our bills for accommodation and diving because we thought we would need to pay IN dollars. We found out that you can only pay in $ if you pay in cash (bank notes) not a card and that they would use an exchange rate quite a bit higher than that of the moneychanger up the road they said they would be using to change the $ notes. We had to go to Karangasem to withdraw IDR from an ATM to pay our bill to avoid the 3% charge for using our card at Lotus AND their inflated exchange rate. The ridiculous thing was that even after all that they STILL used the high $ exchange rate to calculate our final bill - even though we were paying in Indenesian Rupiah!!! There are very few ATMs in east Bali and I would highly recommend getting alot of your home currency banknotes changed in the capital or a large town to avoid these ridiculous charges and bad exchange rates.
OK I feel better now. Great place, lovely staff and pool and garden and diving school.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Smurf65
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We stayed at Lotus Bungalows for 2 nights and we really enjoyed our time here. The swimmingpool is very nicely located and you enjoy a perfect view on the beach and sea. In this hotel you can really relax, everything is quiet, small groups. We also went diving at the island just in front of the hotel. We had half-board and this was very convenient. We once took lunch and once dinner. Both were excellent with an astonishing view over the pool, beach and sea. Breakfast is simple but OK. When dinning outdours you can walk into Candidasa and after less than 10 minutes on the rightside you also have Lotus Restaurant (sister of the hotel). This is a very good restaurant, large menu, and perfect view over beach and sea. The villas are very nice, very well services with a nice outdoor shower and veranda. We had 2 rooms next to eachother meaning we had the whole villa. Altough the rooms are quite expensive I still think it is good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Great place to stay with wonderful service. The staff are very sweet in replacing the flowers in the room and decorating the bed with fresh flowers every night. The view from the rooms, the pool and of course the giant day bed by the pool make it a wonderful place to rest and relax.

On a side note: I stayed here specifically for Gangga Divers and was not disappointed. My partner and I did out diving courses with them (me- open waters and him nitrox and advance open) and they are great! especially for a beginner like me, Herri was very accomodating with my apprehensions and qualms. great learning environment and will definitely go back again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2008

We had very restful stay. Lotus is easygoing and romantic hotel with very lush grounds and traditional rooms, outdoor bathroom is great fun - make sure you book the renovated rooms, staff is superb and service excellent. Beach doesn´t quite exist, but access is easy from the stairs if you wish to go for a swim in the ocean. The hotel food is nice and the prices quite reasonable. The location is pretty easy for making trips around the East (and even Center) Bali. Candidasa as such is a small village with many restaurants only short walk from the hotel - the great thing is you will not get any hassle from any hawkers in the whole area - unlike some of the other places in Bali we went to. We would go back anytime.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)